NewsRadio

NBC (ended 1999)

Carolee99

NewsRadio Fan Reviews (40)

• A fantastically balanced sitcom.

As a sitcom NewsRadio managed to acheive a character balance that is not often acheived by even the best shows. Many shows that purport to have an ensemble cast are often dominated by single characters whose zany actions dominate comedic moments or by relationships which dominate the more serious times. NewsRadio, though at times dominated by the comedic genius of Phil Hartman, avoided these typical problems by having a cast that could transition from comedic centerpieces into the "straight-men" for other actors. Some of my favorite moments were caused by Dave Foley exiting his generally more stayed role and engaging in sarcastic and hilarious banter, usually with Andy Dick and Joe Rogan. Also the Dave-Lisa relationship was the dominant romantic entanglement but it did not dominate the show in terms of creating an overwhelming pathos as is done by many long-term sitcom relationships. As well, this is one of the few shows that has managed to reign in the manic energy of Andy Dick and not only make him palatable but also make him an integral(not dominating) part of the cast. Finally, Stephen Root, as Jimmy James, created a characterization that, for me, dominates every other role in which I have seen him. When I see him I almost expect a Mr. James type of speech.

Final word: Fantastic