NBC (ended 1999)

NewsRadio Fan Reviews (40)

• An imminently watchable classic sitcom that juggles a big cast brilliantly while staying within the format.

In the 21st century, post-Arrested Development world, we've got a lot of comedy shows that scoff at the three-camera sitcom format that was so popular in the 90's. And let's face it - those sitcoms did get rather old.

But there were some absolute gems and one of them was NewsRadio, underappreciated/watched though it was at its time. It's always strange to analyze audiences of the past, but I don't understand why it didn't catch on. The cast is brilliant and play off each other effortlessly, the writing is crisp and the studio audience's laughter doesn't even bother you because you're usually laughing along with them.

I particularly love the way the writers refused to turn Dave and Lisa into another tired will-they-won't-they, but weren't afraid to let go of the romantic relationship when there was no more comedy in it.

The show was also never afraid to go all out with an AU episode, set in space or aboard the Titanic, and really push the limits of the bland studio setting. Listening to the commentaries on the DVD boxset, you almost get a sense of this rebellious cast and crew, deadset on doing their own thing despite of what the network wanted or required them to do (thus the rat funeral).

Some people can always put on Friends and never get bored of it. I like a lot of the classic 90's sitcoms but NewsRadio is my show to watch on almost any occasion. Rainy day or a weekend evening, hungover or home ill, I can always watch NewsRadio and be entertained.