NHL Stanley Cup Finals

Game 1 - Boston at Vancouver (2011)

Aired Saturday 7:00 PM Jun 01, 2011 on CBC

• As a born and raised Vancouverite, I loved this game!

While this game will certainly not go down in Finals history as an instant classic, it was close, exciting and it took a lovely three way passing play to get a goal past Tim Thomas. I was surprised at what a good job Boston was able to in shutting down the Canucks. Vancouver had the NHL's best offense and power play this season and despite getting 34 shots, the game was not littered with glorious scoring changes for either team.

Both goalies were very good when they had to be and were worthy of the first two stars, but the game lacked a certain something that both semi-finals did not. I can understand because it's the Finals and neither of these tams have been there in a long, long time.

There was more nastiness that one would have liked and the Burrows bite was classless. While I'm a big Canucks fan, I do hope he gets suspended for one game. That's just uncalled for under any circumstances.

Vancouver is the better team and should win, but who knows. Tim Thomas is capable of stealing a game or two and Boston does have enough weapons to score as they were in the top 10 in league scoring during the regular season. They are, however, going to have to get their power play going. I mean, EIGHT percent??? That's historically horrible and Vancouver is a very good 5-on-5 team so they can't expect to dominate there as they have in previous series.

I'm sure Game 2 will be better with both teams having gotten any Finals jitters out of their systems.