Night Court Forums

NBC (ended 1992)

Please Put Season Sets Out!!!

diggy85

[1]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 12
    I love this show. I was glad that the first season came out. Now, they're coming out with a best-of? This really pissed me off, since I truly abhor best-of DVD sets and I am upset that many of my favorite TV shows (I have hundreds) come out in this form. Night Court, for one, is the only series I know of so far that came out with the first season, and now has gone on to the best-ofs? Then, I hear that they won't continue season sets if the best-of doesn't do well. When I heard this, I was outraged at the fact that the DVD producers think that this is some lightweight TV sitcom that they are willing to threaten the further sales of them. But, since it will effect further season sets, I will bite my tongue and purchase it, even though I really don't want to. What makes me even more angry is that there are rumors that they are not even going to do Night Court season sets anymore. This is one of the best sitcoms ever, no joke. And it deserves better.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kevmath

[2]Dec 23, 2005
    • level: 24
    One can hope that if sales are strong for the "best of", they'll start the season sets again. It seems that Season 1 sales weren't that great which is why they went to the "TV Favorites" angle. The problem with the show is that there's 9 seasons of shows, which may make it a little harder to successfully get all the season sets released for a series that many people liked, but the interest may not be as strong as expected.

Kevin...

tensaibaka

[3]Jan 10, 2006
    • level: 3
    What would be the best way to convince WB to release the entire series on DVD? I think we need to find (or if somebody already knows) the best contact email or address at WB to list here, as well as all over the net, so we can bombard WB with requests for ALL the FULL seasons of Night Court. I have only season 1, and have been patiently waiting for the rest. I do NOT want to see this show die out! I know it was really popular back in the day, as well as on current syndicated re-runs, but loyal fans need to have it on DVD right? Don’t leave us hanging’ WB!!

KarenHlly

[4]Jan 16, 2006
    • level: 27
    Kevmath wrote:
    One can hope that if sales are strong for the "best of", they'll start the season sets again. It seems that Season 1 sales weren't that great which is why they went to the "TV Favorites" angle. The problem with the show is that there's 9 seasons of shows, which may make it a little harder to successfully get all the season sets released for a series that many people liked, but the interest may not be as strong as expected.

Kevin...

The problem is that, if a "best of" does sell well and they start putting it out by season again, you end up getting some episodes twice. Or, the other bad option, they keep putting out "best of" DVDs and end up missing some episodes.

This doesn't bode well for me, given that three of my favorite "classic" TV series were produced by WB studios. I'll probably never see them on DVD.

RealityFan2686

[5]Jan 21, 2006
    • level: 30
    diggy85 wrote:
    I love this show. I was glad that the first season came out. Now, they're coming out with a best-of? This really pissed me off, since I truly abhor best-of DVD sets and I am upset that many of my favorite TV shows (I have hundreds) come out in this form. Night Court, for one, is the only series I know of so far that came out with the first season, and now has gone on to the best-ofs? Then, I hear that they won't continue season sets if the best-of doesn't do well. When I heard this, I was outraged at the fact that the DVD producers think that this is some lightweight TV sitcom that they are willing to threaten the further sales of them. But, since it will effect further season sets, I will bite my tongue and purchase it, even though I really don't want to. What makes me even more angry is that there are rumors that they are not even going to do Night Court season sets anymore. This is one of the best sitcoms ever, no joke. And it deserves better.

I agree on all counts.

Lokar

[6]Jan 22, 2006
    • level: 26
    I think what people might be waiting to see are the latter years, with Christine, Roz and so forth. Those were the most popular years for the show when it was first on t.v. and I think those will be the strongest memories people have of it. Not to put down the first year, it was good, but the rest of the show I think became better in most people's regard. I too hope we can someday get them to do full season sets again. I'm prepared to remedy the difference by recording some of it off cable. Wonder if people figured they could already get it from syndication, and that's why the DVD stasis? Oh well. At least we're not completely without a way to see it.

TyGee29

[7]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 6
    Lokar wrote:
    I think what people might be waiting to see are the latter years, with Christine, Roz and so forth. Those were the most popular years for the show when it was first on t.v. and I think those will be the strongest memories people have of it. Not to put down the first year, it was good, but the rest of the show I think became better in most people's regard. I too hope we can someday get them to do full season sets again. I'm prepared to remedy the difference by recording some of it off cable. Wonder if people figured they could already get it from syndication, and that's why the DVD stasis? Oh well. At least we're not completely without a way to see it.

I agree 100% The best years of Night Court did start whe Christine and Roz came to the show. Not saying they saved or made the show better, it's just that the best antics ever happened between 1986-1990. The last two seasons were good but it kind of died down a bit.

bwind

[8]Apr 1, 2006
    • level: 2
    It appears that Best Buy isn't bothering to stock the "Best of" Night Court DVD... at least in southern Florida.

plonergan

[9]Apr 10, 2006
    • level: 1

I could see releasing the first couple of seasons in a whittled-down "Best of" fashion, as they had more characters that contemporary viewers weren't familiar with. But the heyday period from 1985-1990 definitely deserves full-scale DVD treatment. I'm grateful that TVLand at least airs NC (the show barely ever made a blip in its syndicated), but I'd much rather see the episodes on DVD so some of the better jokes aren't cut.

diggy85

[10]Apr 20, 2006
    That's the thing, from the third season on, the show is just outstanding. However, the first two seasons were a little rough around the edges, which probably is what led to the poor sales for season one. Anything from seasons 3 or 4 on is outstanding writing and performances by all, and we may never get to see them on DVD. It's really too bad because this show is definitely in my top five sitcoms.

Carolee99

[11]Apr 26, 2006
    • level: 50
    I don't know about any of you but I'm not going to buy a best of release for any show. To me it is a waste of money. I understand that they are doing it to gauge ideas for future sales but I would rather have the season sets.

diggy85

[12]Apr 29, 2006
    I totally agree. I have never once bought a best-of DVD set because it doesn't make any sense. Night Court doesn't deserve a stupid best-of disc, it's one of my favorite sitcoms of all time.

deafangel

[13]Apr 30, 2006
    • level: 11
    diggy85 wrote:
    I totally agree. I have never once bought a best-of DVD set because it doesn't make any sense. Night Court doesn't deserve a stupid best-of disc, it's one of my favorite sitcoms of all time.

me too... i agree.

VanGriffin

[14]May 22, 2006
    • level: 8
    diggy85 wrote:

Another problem with the best of DVD is two of the episodes are already from the first season DVD, and anyone interested in the Best Of disc will most likely already have Season 1

spoink365

[15]Sep 22, 2006
    • level: 1
    This is one of the best shows of all time. I don't understand how WB just ignores this fact, so many people love this show. Nothing would make me as sad as to see this sit-com lost and gone, so that the future generations can't see it and understand. Myself, being only eighteen, have seen the shows only in syndication. I would buy the sets at the drop of a hat, and agree with everyone on the "best-of" problem. I reference this show so often, but most people have never seen it and have no idea what i'm talking about. It would be a tragedy to loose this special show.

CrazyLady9

[16]Oct 20, 2006
    • level: 6
    diggy85 wrote:
    Problem is, if no one buys the best-of DVD, the chances of actually season season 2 out on the shelves are el zippo. I don't like spending money to buy a relatively small DVD (with only 6 episodes) which double up on a few we already have in season 1, but I swallowed my pride and emptied my wallet for it anyways. I figure its worth it in the long run if decent sales bring about season 2 on DVD.

Rainyseason

[17]Oct 25, 2006
    • level: 2

Lokar wrote:

You are so right, that's the problem. If they are looking at sales of Season 1 as a reflection of the overall popularity of Night Court it's going to be really underplayed. As most Night Court fans took a couple of seasons when they did casting changes and added the likes of Christine and Mac and having Dan being a more aggressive character which then the show attracted the audience and made it's name.  

I'm a huge fan of Night Court, and the first couple of seasons were okay and certainly watchable, But it didn't really become this show I adored until a couple of seasons when they did some tweaking with the characters and cast and everything clicked perfectly.

When I got a DVD player the first TV show I thought of getting was Night Court, I was shocked and disappointed that only Season 1 was put out for sale. I haven't had Night Court on syndication in my area for many years, really miss it.

Edited on 10/25/2006 4:26pm

MightyElroy

[18]Oct 10, 2008
    • level: 9

Just a quick update. I received an email from Amazon, and here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Court-Complete-Second-Season/dp/B000FTC1GW

I was told that Season 2 will be released in early Feb 2009. Let's hope that this means we will see the better later seasons sooner