Night Gallery

Cool Air

Aired Unknown Dec 08, 1971 on NBC

• A woman remembers many years back about a doctor she met that worked with making people live after they are supposed to die. This is a story from the great, H.P Lovecraft.

This is by far, my favorite Night Gallery episode. Its filled with so much warmth and understanding and the people are so real, you are swept away in the whole episode. The writing and stars in this episode are just wonderful! In the episode tragedy happens and it is really horrifying, at the very end. Basically the episode teachs us that we should not mess with the laws of science and trying to change it with chemicals and other ways that are not natural. Playing with the laws of science have thier consequences, and they may be more than what we can handle.
  • Cold Doom

This is another one of my favorate Night Galary tales which is based on a short story but one of my favorate horror authors H.P. Lovecroft. This short story of course was remade from the anthology horror film "Necronomicon" which was based on three of the Lovecroft tales, I thought that film was good but one you might have to be in the right mood to watch.

It's a dark fable on how little we can know about our friend/significant other. The common fear of death and futility of delaying it. But most of all the consequences of toying with science or messing with powers beyond man's control.

This is a tragic horror story which is something rare in horror. What makes this interesting is the interaction between both characters you really like them, I bought into their friendship which looked as though it was starting to develop into something more.

What made is suspenseful is the layer of mystery, despite how much we know about this guy at the same time we don't know him. Why did his wife commit suicide, what kind of project was he working on, why so preoccupied with death, but most of all why is his apartment always freezing cold?

Were feed information little by little, it's like a long math equasion that is adding up to something but were not sure what. When something bad happens we see that the main character is in trouble, despite the efforts to help him it does no good and at that point we then hear the terrible truth and I'll admit the ending was haunting and gave me a cold chill.

The inexcapable truth about death is there is no escape from it.
  • Why did Dr. Munoz's wife commit suicide? And why does he always insist on "cool air" in the apartment he never leaves?

This rather free and extremely poetic adaptation of the famous H.P. Lovecraft story is one of the subtlest and best of the "Night Gallery" episodes. For most of its length, it concentrates on the growing warmth and affection between Agatha, a lonely young woman whose father has recently died, and Dr. Munoz, the former colleague who shared the father's interest in challenging the finality of death. But throughout the tender scenes of burgeoning love, there is always a thread of mystery. Why does Munoz never leave his rooms, and why does he get so very agitated whenever his elaborate device for maintaining "cool air" chances to malfunction? The frame of the story has a now-elderly Agatha visiting Munoz's grave - which offers two dates for his death.
  • This is, by far, my favorite episode of Night Gallery.

Cool Air is a love story with a rather spooky twist based on the short story by the legendary H.P. Lovecraft. This is my all time favorite episode of Night Gallery. It, in it's entirety, is a very subtle episode that I love to watch over and over again. The ending is rather frightening and sad at the same time and I just love the whole story.

Cool Air is the best episode of Night Gallery that there was and my all time favorite of all of H.P. Lovecraft's short stories. This is truly a classic tale I simply adore.