Night Gallery

Cool Air

Aired Unknown Dec 08, 1971 on NBC

• Cold Doom

This is another one of my favorate Night Galary tales which is based on a short story but one of my favorate horror authors H.P. Lovecroft. This short story of course was remade from the anthology horror film "Necronomicon" which was based on three of the Lovecroft tales, I thought that film was good but one you might have to be in the right mood to watch.

It's a dark fable on how little we can know about our friend/significant other. The common fear of death and futility of delaying it. But most of all the consequences of toying with science or messing with powers beyond man's control.

This is a tragic horror story which is something rare in horror. What makes this interesting is the interaction between both characters you really like them, I bought into their friendship which looked as though it was starting to develop into something more.

What made is suspenseful is the layer of mystery, despite how much we know about this guy at the same time we don't know him. Why did his wife commit suicide, what kind of project was he working on, why so preoccupied with death, but most of all why is his apartment always freezing cold?

Were feed information little by little, it's like a long math equasion that is adding up to something but were not sure what. When something bad happens we see that the main character is in trouble, despite the efforts to help him it does no good and at that point we then hear the terrible truth and I'll admit the ending was haunting and gave me a cold chill.

The inexcapable truth about death is there is no escape from it.