Night Gallery

She'll Be Company for You

Aired Unknown Dec 24, 1972 on NBC

6.7
  • An ungrieving widower is haunted by the sound of a bell and by a cat which keeps on growing - and changing.

A conventional story about a cat which is also a familiar. Was the dead wife a witch? Was she murdered? Her best friend is certainly pretty creepy - she keeps talking about being in touch with the dead woman's spirit, but no-one ever asks her about this, and it doesn't occur to Leonard Nimoy simply to say "No, thanks" when she peremptorily says she's sending a cat over to keep him company. The sub-plot involving his secretary/mistress is also rather perfunctory, and if one has hallucinations about tigers and leopards prowling around in one's living-room, surely one should visit one's doctor? The two women in the story are much more interesting than Nimoy's pallid hero.
  • Leonard Nimoy dealt his terminally ill wife a bad hand. While she lays dying he is out playing the field. She passes away and wifes best friend makes him pay. She gives him an evil cat to keep him company.

This is a terrible episode. As a long time lover of Night Gallery I am saddened that this mess some how got mixed into the pot. The more I watch Nimoy try and plod through this script the more embarassed I get for him. The story literally makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. This cat somehow alternates between two large jungle cats at the ring of a bell. This bell is supposedly symbolism for the bell that jerkos wife rang from her bedside. We rarely see the jungle cats but are forced to hear the same audio track of the cats roars, growls and screams over and over throughout the episode. It is painful to watch Nimoy react to these so called noises. He seems slow and just as confused with the plot as I am. SHAMEFUL.
  • A man, a bell, and a cat

This is the absolute worst full length episode of "Night Gallery" that I have seen. Leonard Nimoy stars as a philandering widower whose wife has just passed away. The wife's best friend gives him a cat to keep him company. Somehow the cat keeps changing forms ie. tiger and lion. He keeps hearing this bell ringing and finds out "gasp" that the bell has no clapper inside! None of this episode really makes any sense and somehow we the audience are supposed to figure out the bell and the cat have some kind of connection. I couldn't wait for this episode to end.
WZME