Night Gallery

Silent Snow, Secret Snow

Aired Unknown Oct 20, 1971 on NBC

• A haunting Night Gallery masterpiece!

This was a haunting, classic episode of the Night Gallery Series. I've always been a fan of quality short story fiction, which is a dying art nowadays. This episode stands out. The sensitive portrayal of a young boy's decent into catatonic schizophrenia from the boy's point of view as his family watches on in frustrated horror, this is one of the most unique and special episodes of the entire series, and one of the most unique things I've ever seen on network television. The fact that it sticks out clearly in my memory after nearly forty years gives testimony to that. Night Gallery was an amazing series.
  • The Sense of Snow

Who'd of thought facination with snow can be scary. This is another one of my top ten favorate episodes of the show. There really isn't a whole lot to say about this episode, this is a tale that I found haunting from the amount of dread it gives you that leaves as much of an imprint on you as a foot print left in the snow. It's hard to say what the theme of this story really is, it's left to anyones interpretation, it's as enigmatic as the boy himself.

What really drove it was the constant photography of the boy's emotional state along with the snow. As well as the great narration by Orson Welles, I found the voice to be both comforting and sinister.

You really get a sense of dread as things progress further because were never sure or even know why the boy has this constant facination with snow and why his facination seems to be getting longer. Those final lines of narration at the end gave me a cold chill inside.
  • A disturbed schoolboy retreats - permanently? - into a secret world in which snow seems to talk to him.

Like Miss Smilla in the Peter Hoeg novel, young Paul has a feeling for snow - it has magical properties for him. The fall of snow brings something special into his existence, and its springtime departure is heartbreaking; he retreats into what seems to be catatonia. This extremely unusual "Night Gallery" episode (a second attempt by director Gene Kearney to dramatise Conrad Aiken's famous story) explains nothing and has few obvious dramatic highpoints; it depends on lyrical photography and, above all, on the narration, which takes us into Paul's mind. It was Kearney's great good fortune to obtain the services of Orson Welles for this. He does a wonderful job.