Night Gallery

Tell David...

Aired Unknown Dec 29, 1971 on NBC

7.6
  • what's the point?

An episode which I have watched over and over again, and which (obviously) exerts a fascination for me. The atmosphere of it is great, and all the predictions are pretty fun too (CC TV, Mapquest, anti-smoking and annoying electronic music). And of course there's the amusing tongue-in-cheek moment when Ann comes home and meets the hag, where the show parodies itself a bit. Sandra Dee does have a couple of acting lapses, I think (particularly in the "I would've been jealous" moment)...but the main problem is, what the heck was the point of the whole thing? I mean, she goes forward in time and sees this great warning, and then she comes back to her own time and the same situation happens all over again and...what? Not a blink of recognition, nothing. Nada y nunca. I mean, it's OK to have the same thing happen again (like she's trapped by fate, no matter what), as long as she gives some clue that she spoke with her son and understood what he was saying and she still felt compelled to enact the same old crime. Then there would be a lot of poignance to go along with it, like some Greek tragedy. As it was though, it was like the trip to the future never even happened. If it wasn't for that, I would give this episode a 10.