Night Gallery

The Cemetery

Aired Unknown Nov 08, 1969 on NBC

• What a way to begin one of the greatest horror anthology series of all time.

The Cemetery is one of my all time favorite episodes of Night Gallery. It is also one of the scariest. The first time I saw it I had to sleep with the lights on at age fourteen. The Cemetery is without a doubt, the best story from the Night Gallery pilot episode as well as being the first. It is a truly frightening episode.

A dying man's greedy nephew (Roddy McDowell) wants nothing more than for his uncle to die so he can collect all of his inheritence so, ofcourse, he kills him. He then inherits everything his uncle left behind, along with his butler (Ossie Davis), who, with the help from a painting of the cemetery beside the house, makes sure his deeds don't go unpunished, and vice versa.
  • A great first episode of a truly great T.V. series!

Oh, man, this episode has it all. All the classic elements of a really creepy horror story. An old dying uncle stalked by a greedy little twerp of a nephew and a brooding butler that has about all he can stand from the twerp nephew...and a genuinely hair raising finale! All the elements of the best campfire spooky stories we enjoyed as kids, with an ingenious twist at the end of the story that would have done an author like O Henry proud! A truly great beginning for one of my all time favorite never miss T.V. shows, the Night Gallery.
  • A greedy nephew wants his inheritance now!

This is one of the episodes I remember as a kid that still scares me when I watch today. Roddy McDowall is an amazing actor and you really believe that his dead uncle is coming back from the dead just by how McDowall is reacting from the painting. This is one of the stories where the atmosphere is what is scary. The look and sounds of what is going on is the most terrifying. You never do see the dead uncle except for on the painting which shows the uncle getting closer and closer from the grave to the home door. This is just classic story telling done with a twist of Serling. This story is worthy of Poe!
  • After bumping off his rich uncle, the nephew starts to realize that one of his uncle's paintings isn't behaving quite normally.

This scared the heck out of me when I saw the premiere at the age of 12. Almost forty years later it stills packs a wallop. I show this to my high school English classes as part of a short story analysis unit, and most of the kids find the story very frightening. No blood or guts here, and none needed; just a really good ghost story. The pacing is relaxed, the setup takes some time, but the payoff is worth it. Roddy McDowall is a little over the top, but Ossie Davis as the skeptical butler plays it straight and steals the show.