Night Gallery

The Nature of the Enemy

Aired Unknown Dec 23, 1970 on NBC

5.2
  • From Mission Control, the ground crew watches video of astronauts on the moon investigating a hastily assemble 'platform', which had been constructed from the debris of previous crashed vehicles. Speculation arises as to its purpose.

As a huge Rod Serling fan, I must ask one question about this episode: Was he smoking crack at the time he wrote it? It is THE single worst idea for a story Serling ever conceived, and perhaps the most poorly executed. Not to 'spoil' the absurd ending, but it is so very bad that, indeed, no one would ever have guessed it from the beginning. Endless questions abound: Who's holding the camera on the moon? Why does 'platform' look like a cheap Erector-Set? How did a super thin rocket crash straight (and I do mean straight) into the ground? These are but a few that such a short sequence should NOT have posed. My recommendation: Watch it once if you can bear a life time of unanswered questions.
WZME