Night Gallery

The Sins of the Fathers

Aired Unknown Feb 23, 1972 on NBC

7.6
  • Another great example of the masterpiece that is the Night Gallery.

The Sins of the Fathers is, without a doubt, one of the most truly terrifying episodes of Night Gallery that there is. Richard Thomas was marvelous in this episode. When I first saw this, I found it hard to understand what was going on at the time. But when I did realize what was going on it scared the heck out of me.

The Sins of the Fathers is a great example of why Night Gallery is such a fantastic show. Richard Thomas was great in this episode. This is such a fantastic episode that I could just watch over and over again to frighten myself.
  • The only episode (of the many I saw) that I still remember vividly. It was truly horrifying.

My remembrance of this episode is a little sketchy, given that it aired in 1972, but I remember being freaked out by it. The gist of the story: In Wales, there was a man designated as the village "sin eater". He would feast on food laid out on a corpse, and "absorb" all of the sins committed by the deceased during their lifetime. Richard Thomas' character is the son of a "sin eater" who has just died. His mother (the wonderfully borderline-nuts Geraldine Page) doesn't want her dead husband roasting in hell, with all the sins he's "eaten" over the years, so she cajoles the son into "eating" all the sins from the dead father.
    SPOILER ALERT!
    He does it. And it's horrifying.