Night Stalker Forums

ABC (ended 2005)

Official "The Show Has Been Cancelled Thread" (as per Frank Spotnitz)

123home123

[1]Nov 13, 2005
    • level: 55
    It may not come as a surprise to anyone familiar with the ratings of the show, among the lowest for any primetime network show this season. The official word comes from Frank Spotnitz's blog:

It is with regret that I confirm "Night Stalker" has been canceled. While I’m disappointed the series has come to an end, I am enormously grateful for the experience and the opportunity given me by the network and Touchstone Television. I would like to thank our amazingly talented cast, wonderful crew, killer post-production department, terrific writing staff, producers and partners in crime Daniel Sackheim and John Peter Kousakis, the incredible Jana Fain, and all of you who watched and enjoyed the show.
    It was a blast.

And that's all she wrote, folks.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Talvix

[2]Nov 13, 2005
    • level: 52
    Anyone know when the last episode will air? Do we at least get to see the whole season?

123home123

[3]Nov 13, 2005
    • level: 55
    I doubt it. The posts on the ABC board said that production had shut down. I don't think they would have filmed an entire season already. Whether ABC shows any more completed episodes is an open question. They might show one more but perhaps not even that. With the lousy ratings the show has been getting, ABC could put almost anything else in the time slot and get equal or better ratings. They could run repeats of one of their popular shows, try out a midseason replacement, or air special programming.

Talvix

[4]Nov 13, 2005
    • level: 52
    I can't say I'm particularly surprised with the cancellation news. Disappointed, yes, but not surprised. I for one really liked the atmosphere on the show but I guess it wasn't what the masses want. Oh well.

archangelcory16

[5]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 32
    This sucks hardcore. I am going to miss this show. Well, it was fun while is lasted. *sigh*

maxpower03

[6]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 42
    This really sucks. It may have not been a great show but it showed signs of greatness. It was promising and it's a shame that ABC have canned it so quickly.

VGrevolution

[7]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 4
    That is too bad, another relatively intelligent show bites the dust. This seems like shades of Miracles to me, a show that hardly got advertised, was screwed around a bit (the one week hiatus didn't help the ratings which were improving a big), was developing into a great show, and was on ABC.

biggin66

[8]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 3
    i will miss you Carl Kolchak

hoping for a DVD release or maybe Sci-Fi might pick it up and finish it for us

VGrevolution

[9]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 4
    Sci-fi picking it up could be a possibility, the show probaly is not that expensive.

archangelcory16

[10]Nov 14, 2005
    I guess the world will never be ready for Carl Kolchak, whether he's light-hearted and corny or dark and brooding.

0roro

[11]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 2
    I am very glad they canceled this crap, I don't know what they were thinking trying to make it "realistc" ... as they put it. Fans who watched the original TV movie in the 70's (which was very spooky/eery/scary show) and the TV series were fans because they liked vampires, werewolves, demons etc.

That is what I wanted to see with todays technology, not serial killers (humans) and regular murderers. They made their mistake from the start, and they got exactly what they deserved. I stopped watching it after the first two shows, because I saw they were going in a direction that I did not care for.

EranE

[12]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 12
    Hey Cory,

Really sorry they cancelled your favourite show of the season mate.
    Network TV hasn't been kind to your favourite genre over the last couple of years eh?

Oh well, hope midseason treats you and all of us better.

archangelcory16

[13]Nov 14, 2005
    0roro wrote:
    I am very glad they canceled this crap, I don't know what they were thinking trying to make it "realistc" ... as they put it. Fans who watched the original TV movie in the 70's (which was very spooky/eery/scary show) and the TV series were fans because they liked vampires, werewolves, demons etc.

That is what I wanted to see with todays technology, not serial killers (humans) and regular murderers. They made their mistake from the start, and they got exactly what they deserved. I stopped watching it after the first two shows, because I saw they were going in a direction that I did not care for.

What the hell are you talking about?

Episode 1 - Werewolves
    Episode 2 - Psychic Killer
    Episode 3 - Ghost
    Episode 4 - THE ONLY REGULAR KILLER EPISODE
    Episode 5 - Evil spirit/possession
    Episode 6 - Ghost biker gang

I do agree they should've had a few more classic monsters.

archangelcory16

[14]Nov 14, 2005
    EranE wrote:
    Hey Cory,

Really sorry they cancelled your favourite show of the season mate.
    Network TV hasn't been kind to your favourite genre over the last couple of years eh?

Oh well, hope midseason treats you and all of us better.

I don't know whether to decide that you were being sincere or smug about that, lol.

Ah, well. TV really isn't nice to me. I guess there's still "Supernatural" when it comes to the horror genre, but I just liked how "Night Stalker" used a more realistic investigative method and used psychogical fear more than the jump/BOO! factor that "Supernatural" uses.

Last season three of my favorite shows were in this truly hideous timeslot - "Point Pleasant", "Tru Calling", and "life as we know it".

Now if CBS cancels "Threshold" I am going to murder someone.

Edward_Nigma

[15]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 54
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    Now if CBS cancels "Threshold" I am going to murder someone.

Don't even say that...though I'm pretty sure it's going to happen.

Anyway...Night Stalker is gone for good I'm pretty sure. Though abc.com still has it listed for this Thursday, I read at thefutoncritic that it's gone for good:

"Scheduling updates released this morning by ABC confirmed the news as the Alphabet will air the first half of an expanded two-hour "Primetime" in the show's Thursday, 9:00/8:00c time period this week."

Makes sense to cancel it though because of the crap ratings, so I wouldn't blame ABC.

0roro

[16]Nov 14, 2005
    [This message was deleted at the request of board moderator or administrator]

0roro

[17]Nov 14, 2005
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    0roro wrote:

What the hell are you talking about?

Episode 1 - Werewolves
    Episode 2 - Psychic Killer
    Episode 3 - Ghost
    Episode 4 - THE ONLY REGULAR KILLER EPISODE
    Episode 5 - Evil spirit/possession
    Episode 6 - Ghost biker gang

I do agree they should've had a few more classic monsters.

Those were not werewolves, and they barely even showed those ugly dog-like creatures. Ghost are no fun, bring on the vampires, witches and demons.

Gislef

[18]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 101
    VGrevolution wrote:
    Sci-fi picking it up could be a possibility, the show probaly is not that expensive.

SciFi is connected to NBC corporate-wise, not ABC. And ABC owns this version of Night Stalker.

SciFi could pick it up down the road in a rerun package, and the produced-but-unaired episodes might part of the package. But it's unlikely to happen anytime soon...

Curb71

[19]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 5
    I work for Fox and my boss is one of the people that runs this show (I know its not a fox show, he works for a few different studios) and I heard him say they pulled the plug on this show. Just came over to let you all know but looks like someone else found out first.

spookygirl_05

[20]Nov 14, 2005
    Okay, this totally sucks! Does anyone know if ABC will at least air part 2? It would just be too cruel to leave us hanging. Of course, this is the same station that canceled Miracles after airing only a few episodes, so I guess I shouldn't underestimate their capacity for being cruel.