Night Stalker Forums

ABC (ended 2005)

What went wrong?

farscapefanuk

[1]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 32
    I'm still trying to work out why this show was actually canciled, it was great. It definatly deserved to run for atleast a season. We never really got a chance to bond with the charactors as it was over so quickly.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cherronedavis

[2]Mar 19, 2007
    • level: 5
    I wondered the same thing.  Did you see the last episode?  I swear I was lost as to what the heck happened!

farscapefanuk

[3]Mar 20, 2007
    Do you mean 'Whats the Frequency Kolchak? if you do then i agree with you there.

archangelcory16

[4]Apr 22, 2007
    Well this was ABC's least promoted show for the fall 2005 season, with ONLY on-ABC commercials and not very many of those. So it was doomed to failure. But IMO this show was scarier and more disturbing than The X-Files and I wish it could have lasted several seasons. Oh well...

farscapefanuk

[5]Apr 26, 2007
    The show had a lot of potential we never really got to see. I guess the relationship between Reed and Kolchak would have been like the X Files. But wells never know. I do think that Night Stalker should have had a full season because then atleast we would have known what the show was like.

swtt

[6]Jun 13, 2007
    • level: 18
    Boy I'm pretty mad I was just watching it this morning and thought what a great show.why would it be cancelled?

farscapefanuk

[7]Jun 19, 2007
    Ask ABC that question.

jxsilicon9

[8]Aug 7, 2007
    • level: 10
    Is this some kind of joke? This show was terrible. The last episode was one of the worst things I've seen. This show should have never been called Kolchak:night stalker. It should have been x-files part 2.

farscapefanuk

[9]Aug 11, 2007
    The show was not terrible. And it was nothing like the X Files. Yes it ws similar but it did not have enough episodes to show us how good it could have been.

jamoon2006

[10]Nov 24, 2007
    • level: 36
    It may not have had a full season, but the episodes that were shown weren't all that good, and neither were the lead actors. And I think it was deliberately set up to ape The X-Files: moody believer motivated by an unexplained tragedy in his past, paired witha smart, sexy skeptic? I think if the show had done more "stand-alone" episodes instead of trying to roll out a cumbersome (and not terribly interesting) mythology so early, it would have played better. Also,if it had stood on its own and not been billed as a "reimagining" of the great 1970s series, I think people wouldn't have had higher expectations that were hard to live up to.
    Edited on 11/27/2007 5:48am

Scrantonicity

[11]Nov 30, 2007
    • level: 3
    jamoon2006 wrote:
    It may not have had a full season, but the episodes that were shown weren't all that good, and neither were the lead actors. And I think it was deliberately set up to ape The X-Files: moody believer motivated by an unexplained tragedy in his past, paired witha smart, sexy skeptic? I think if the show had done more "stand-alone" episodes instead of trying to roll out a cumbersome (and not terribly interesting) mythology so early, it would have played better. Also,if it had stood on its own and not been billed as a "reimagining" of the great 1970s series, I think people wouldn't have had higher expectations that were hard to live up to.

I agree. It also didn't help that it was terribly, terribly dull and more than a little muddled. This had more to do with trying to ape X-Files than the original series on which it was based. It also bugged the crap out of me how every one of the leads was Hollywood actor attractive and far too young for their roles, including Vincenzo. And not one of the actors had the chops of Darren McGavin, rest his soul, or even Simon Oakland. He was never what I would call conventionally handsome, but he was masculine and a had a certain gravitas you just can't get from actors nowaday. He LOOKED like he'd been knocked around and had street smarts and learned a thing or two in Korea. And where was Miss Emily (my favorite character on the show, next to Kolchak)?!? Ptui.

jamoon2006

[12]Dec 3, 2007
    • level: 36

Well said, Scrantonicity. The biggest difference between then and now in TV is that lead actors tended to be selected more for their acting chops in the 1960s and 1970s (Peter Falk, Telly Savalas, McGavin, Raymond Burr...none of these guys are underwear models) and today it's a search for the youngest, biggest "pretty boy" leading man they can find. Hence, you have Stuart Townsend moping his way through scenes. And in case he's not pretty enough, here's two young sidekicks! Night Stalker was a turkey, pure and simple.

Gislef

[13]Dec 9, 2007
    • level: 101
    Scrantonicity wrote:
    It also bugged the crap out of me how every one of the leads was Hollywood actor attractive and far too young for their roles, including Vincenzo.

Cotter was 57 when he was on Night Stalker. Simon Oakland was 57 when he started playing Vincenzo in the original Night Stalker movie.

JJMPB

[14]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 12
    poor ratings it went up against CSI back then it didn't have a chance CSI is fading now though

archangelcory16

[15]Mar 26, 2008
    Stuart Townsend is a fine actor.

CaptainMidnight

[16]Aug 16, 2009
    • level: 51
    Scrantonicity wrote:
    I agree. It also didn't help that it was terribly, terribly dull and more than a little muddled. This had more to do with trying to ape X-Files than the original series on which it was based. It also bugged the crap out of me how every one of the leads was Hollywood actor attractive and far too young for their roles, including Vincenzo. And not one of the actors had the chops of Darren McGavin, rest his soul, or even Simon Oakland. He was never what I would call conventionally handsome, but he was masculine and a had a certain gravitas you just can't get from actors nowaday. He LOOKED like he'd been knocked around and had street smarts and learned a thing or two in Korea. And where was Miss Emily (my favorite character on the show, next to Kolchak)?!? Ptui.

Yes, a big part of the problem was that the producers had forsaken almost everything about the old show that fans liked. The original Kolchak was an iconoclast in the way he dressed, thought and worked. The trademark hat, seersucker suit, sneakers, old Mustang convertible, little 110 camera and tape recorder. He had a style all his own. He didn't make much money, wasn't famous and worked for a rinky-dink news outfit, but that made him an everyman that people could relate to. You could tell by the eagerness with which he ran after stories that he loved doing what he did. He wouldn't sit around pondering things or staring at photographs. We never saw his home and never needed to. It was all about the monsters, not his personal life, if he even had one after his girlfriend was chased out of town in the first movie. He was pushy, hated authority and tenacious, but he could be flustered as well, especially when he was confronting the monster of the week. He didn't need a companion and in fact would have been worse off for it. It was always "one man alone against a disbelieving world," not "one man plus sidekick." Darren McGavin's Kolchak was one of a kind. Take the new Kolchak and replace him with any other recent actor and you really wouldn't notice much of a difference. The show used the Night Stalker name to try to ride the coattails of the old show, but a name just wasn't enough.
    Edited on 08/16/2009 7:43am
    Edited 2 total times.

CJJohanson

[17]Aug 21, 2009
    • level: 6

Here is an opinion of mine.

If the show was an exact carbon copy of the old show, people would be complaining about that, but since it strayed into a lot different territory than the old show, people are complaining. As genre fans, we are hard to please, and that can pose a problem to the not many genre shows out there. I for one, loved the direction the show was taking.

Back in the days of "Kolchak: The Night Stalker", people weren't accustomed to long-story arcs, but the whole "monster-of-the-week" thing. Nowadays, genre fans love long story arcs. The monster of the week thing wouldn't have flyed today. Yes, Stuart Townsend doesn't have the acting chops as Darin McGavin, but he created his own Kolchak and that worked fine with this show. This is a Kolchak for the new millenium people

CaptainMidnight

[18]Aug 23, 2009
    CJJohanson wrote:

Here is an opinion of mine.

If the show was an exact carbon copy of the old show, people would be complaining about that, but since it strayed into a lot different territory than the old show, people are complaining.

Here's a crazy idea. Make a new show. New title, new character names. Give me one good reason why they needed to keep the old names if not to try to draw in fans of the old show. This is the same kind of crap that dooms so many TV-to-movie adaptations. See travesties like Lost in Space or Thunderbirds movies, where they tried to "improve" on the shows without knowing anything about them. One director even specifically said he had never seen the original show and refused to watch it because he didn't want to be influenced in how he was directing the movie. If you want to do something completely different, come up with something original. Maybe I should try to make an "I Love Lucy" for the "new millennium," where Lucy is a shameless silicone-enhanced shrew who'll do whatever it takes to get her always unsuccessful schemes off the ground, including robbing banks, stripping her clothes off, sleeping with men other than Ricky and throwing legendary temper tantrums when her plans fail. Ricky will be a Mexican drug lord and the Mertzes will be high-powered executives on Wall Street.

CJJohanson

[19]Aug 24, 2009
    • level: 6

Okay, I admit, the show probably would have gotton off the ground better without the "Night Stalker" logo attached, and was trying to make a success off the coat tails of the old movies/show. But that doesn't mean the show wasn't an exceptional piece of work that deserved one full season. As I said before, even if it borrowed from the format of the original, it wouldn't have lasted long, longer than what was shown, probably, but not more than a season. People don't like monster-of-the-week series anymore. Frank Spotnitz was trying to "update" for the genre fans of today.

Stuart Townsend does suck as Kolchak, but thats if we compare him to McGavin's Kolchak, which we shouldn't.

CaptainMidnight

[20]Aug 25, 2009
    People liked "monster of the week" stories enough to keep X-Files on the air for nine seasons. There've been other shows since then with a monster a week. For instance Special Unit 2 and even the current Supernatural. Besides, the monsters were not what people were looking for in the old series. That's why we didn't care that the monster suits were incredibly cheesy. We were interested in seeing Carl's reactions and how he would ultimately defeat them through research and resourcefulness even though he was usually scared spitless like we would be in the same situation.