Official Episode Discussion:End of the Whole Mess(episode 4)

danharr

[1]Jul 18, 2006
    • level: 45
    The second of this weeks episode please discuss here.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

walrus_8463

[2]Jul 19, 2006
    • level: 59

In the book, the story is narrated by Howard Fornoy, who explains the details of his brother's efforts to make the world a nicer place. The results are pretty bad.

danman5069

[3]Jul 19, 2006
    • level: 11
    I liked this story alot more than the one before it. It had a far better story line, and I just loved how the power to the video recorder was dieing as the show was ending when there was 30 mins left in the show only that amount of power was left and so on and so on until the end.

meshfresh

[4]Jul 20, 2006
    • level: 5

This short story has always been one of my favorites from King. I'm glad I can say that I like the (very mordern) TV version also.  

Edited on 07/20/2006 2:35pm

markymark1980

[5]Jul 20, 2006
    • level: 5
    I never read the short story, but I think a full length cinematic motion picture would be really cool, based on this idea.

walrus_8463

[6]Jul 20, 2006
    • level: 59
    There are many things that are different than the story. In the book, Howard Fornoy is a writer, not a filmmaker. The camera gives the show a modern twist.

ShadowMP303

[7]Jul 20, 2006
    • level: 7

i liked the variety this one gives to the assembly. thats a wierd word to use but w/e. this one is so tragic, its not something i think of when i think of stephen king, it was a good switch up.
    Edited on 07/20/2006 10:33pm

Gislef

[8]Jul 21, 2006
    • level: 101
    Also they had to make Howard a filmmaker because his narrating through writing wouldn't have worked on television as a narrative device, the way it did in the book.

danharr

[9]Jul 21, 2006
    • level: 45
    That was the best episode in the anthology so far I love the fact that the smart bro wasn't innocent.  He knew from his data bad side effects would occur but he pushed on anyway and to take the premise of wanting world peace and destroying the world in the process was outstanding.

marksdad1

[10]Jul 22, 2006
    • level: 6
    I think this has been the second best of the series to date.  Good story, good pacing, but the thing that was always in the back of my mind was how much this seemd like a Twilight Zone (the original) episode.  I was waiting for Rod Serling to pop up at the end.  The zone comparison came across for me becuase the way the episode paced of a protagonist attempting to do something for the greater good - and within the last few minutes, we see it unravel - a twist that was pretty typical in Zone and sometimes Tales from the Crypt. 

mizelled

[11]Aug 3, 2006
    • level: 1

Not to nitpick but whoever listed the differences from the short story in the trivia section made a little mistake.  The brothers do in fact inject themselves with a concentrated version of the serum. 

Wellespring

[12]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 3
    Does anyone know if the writer of this episode, Lawrence D. Cohen, is in fact genre stalwart Larry Cohen (of It's Alive & Return to Salem's Lot fame). My heart says yes, but I have not been able to find a declaritive answer. The IMDB has listings for both, but there is no bio for Lawrence. Lawrence's filmography suggests that the two writers are one and the same. Help.

RedErik

[13]Jan 29, 2007
    • level: 4
    I totally agree with marksdad1.  The pace was perfect, the story was compelling, and the acting really contributed well.  There was, however, something I couldn't quite put my finger on until marksdad1 mentioned Rod Serling.  Having Rod pop up at the end would almost have been the icing on the cake.

I also couldn't get over how Stephen-King-ish this episode was.  Anyone who has read King's short stories has picked up on his common themes of classic rock, kitschy nicknames and a loss of innocence leading to horrific results.  This was a very faithful update to a King story.  Well done!!