A Nikita Community
The CW (ended 2013)

Nikita S04E01: "Wanted"

Welcome to Nikita's final season! Six episodes is kind of a weird number, and The CW definitely picked a weird time to start airing the show, but at least we'll get to spend a few more hours watching our favorite 93-pound super-duper spy straight-up ruining people's worlds. In case you forgot where the show left off last season, Amanda and Mr. Jones helped frame Nikita for killing the president, who actually committed suicide in Nikki's presence. Nikita became public enemy number one, and in response, she ditched the team (including Michael) to keep them safe. 

Unsurprisingly, that last part didn't stick. While Nikita spent 100 days running for her life and trying to figure out why the leader of the free world would blow her brains out in the oval office, Michael, Birkhoff, and company did their part to track her down and find leads to clear her name. As these things go, it doesn't really matter what Nikita has been up to, or how she blended in, or how she managed to cross borders with ease. (The real answer to those questions, obviously, is "She's Nikita.") What matters is that "Wanted" began with Nikita still beating herself up over the possibility that the team could die because of her action,s and what matters is that everybody's back in the same orbit again. I mean come on, there are only six episodes this year; the show can't screw around too much. 

Provided you were able to let go of any pesky logistical questions and follow the episode head-first into chatter about conspiracies, hostage situations, and an increased amount of blood and violence, then this was a pretty enjoyable opening hour. I'm mostly there. Were we headed into a 22-episode season, I'd be less willing to forgive the show for running back the cliffhanger so quickly, but the writers did the best they could with what little time they had. Although "Wanted" did bring the team back together somewhat, all of their interactions had something to do with the fallout of what happened in the Season 3 finale. Birkhoff and Ryan scolded Nikita for ditching them, and scoffed when she said silly stuff like "Oh, I thought you could move on if I was gone." There was some real tension between Nikita and Michael in the brief moments they shared together. This is such a tight-knit group that they're never going to give up on one another—that's kind of the whole point of show—but "Wanted" did a solid job of acknowledging that the team can help Nikita survive without forgiving her for removing them from the equation.

The primary story here was all about Nikita trying to reach out to Dale Gordon, a TV journalist obsessed with the truth but with enough stroke to get the head of the FBI task force to bring Nikki down. Setting aside how ridiculous it would be for an agent in Matthew Graham's position to do an interview like that in the middle of such an high-profile investigation, Gordon and Graham's role in the episode served a really important function: to remind us that Amanda is not screwing around, and that she's almost always a step ahead. Amanda funneled real information to Gordon to get him talking on TV, which in turn drew Nikita out because she thought she had someone to trust. And even though Nikita got away, Amanda apparently had Graham in her back pocket too. Gordon gave up Nikita's information and Graham subsequently blew him up, further painting Nikita as the world's most dangerous woman. And while at times I've grown tired of the kind of reach that characters like Amanda (and previously Percy) have/had, that's the show—and in the final season, its stories will need to be parsed down. It's Nikita vs. Amanda, as it was probably always meant to be, and "Wanted" pushed Nikita further down in a way that will make her eventual triumph even better. 

Plus, I'm hoping the show has one more Weirdo Amanda plan in its arsenal. Nikita and Ryan seemed to think that it's some kind of mind-controlling drug that can turn anyone into robotic killers (in the president's case, self-killers), and I can already picture a world where one of the team members gets injected with the stuff and turns their gun(s) on Nikita or anyone else. It's still unclear how that might fit into whatever Alex and Sonya are investigating in their Batgirl and Robin worldwide journeys, but no matter what it is, the premiere introduced enough mystery to keep the story intriguing. And we probably won't have to wait very long to figure out what's really going on.

"Wanted" wasn't a top-shelf episode of Nikita, but it did what it needed to do, and it did so in an efficient and entertaining manner. If this episode is any indication, the show will be hammering the gas pedal as quickly as next week. Five more.

NOTES FROM THE BLACKBOX

– Nice coincidence that this episode, full of discussion about conspiracies and dead presidents, aired on the 50th anniversary of President Kennedy's assassination. OR WAS IT A COINCIDENCE? 

– Was it just me, or did this episode seem more violent than usual? The blood was certainly more noticeable. I don't know if Warner Bros. and The CW told the creative team to push the limit a little bit more or what. 

– Owen made an early appearance and shockingly, he's screwing with people seemingly at random. That dude needs a hug. 

– I appreciate that Ryan and Birkhoff are just flying around in a jet that seems to include like two computer screens and a see-through dry erase board. It's like the S.H.I.E.L.D. jet, minus everything. 

– Maggie Q looks very nice in hats. That is all.

– I'll be covering all six episodes this season, so tell your friends. 

What'd you folks think of the premiere? Good start? What are you hoping to see in the final season?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/27/2013

Season 4 : Episode 6

90 Comments
Comments (90)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Finally time to catch up and find out it's only a 6 episode run, eh? Damn, I was thinking it got the 13 episode final season treatment like Fringe. I suppose that makes sense after watching the first three episodes. A little rushed and suspension of disbelief is a touch high...but still fun.
Flag
Great new episode! I just hope will be more than just 6 episodes on this Season!
Flag
Good to have Nikita back!!
Flag
Sharp-eyed Canadian viewers may have spotted (among other Toronto streetscenes) a glimpse of the ginormous CN Tower popping through one of the rooftop scenes. (The rooftop was probably the CBC Building) Love how a major Canadian landmark like that just passes by in what is supposed to be the heart of Manhattan.
Flag
I can't wait to see how this season plays out, there is still so much to wrap up but Nikita always seems to figure it out
Flag
I finally got around to watching this episode. Loved it! I didn't realize how much I had missed Nikita and the gang.
Flag
Liked the first episode of the new season...sad that it just 6 episodes...
Burkhof is so funny...She really thinks that we have to obey her...love his snappy comments...
So cute when finally Nikita and Michael saw each other..
Amanda was a bit passive this episode...the other guy seemed to be in control now..
Flag
It's Nikita, obviously it is a good start. Some moments are really moments. The chemistry between reunion was good, anger and care at once is not an easy thing to act I think but it was clearly there, not in words but in expressions too.
Flag
Great start of the season.
Flag
Fantastic show! I know we are lucky to be getting a final season but 6 episodes is a joke.
If only it had vampires in it.
Flag
Really? Vampires? No. Just no.
Flag
I was being sarcastic in that if it had vampires more people would watch it and maybe we wouldnt have to beg to get a 6-episode final season.
Flag
Going to miss this show, 6 episodes is not enough...Can Maggie Q please now move to Arrow or the Originals, basically any CW show will do!!
Flag
Best show!! l love ryan!! I hope they don't kill him!!
Flag
Awesome start to most likely fantastic final season. It's a shame that the show has to air on Friday nights, which is the likely reason for such low ratings, but I am just glad to get a final season. Can't get enough of this show, can't wait for next week.
Flag
Such a shame the best show on the Cw has to end and with only six episodes to do it...
Flag
Thank you that you are finally reviewing NIKITA ! I have predicted the FINAL 6 episode to be awesome and it certainly did not disappoint ! The 45 minutes felt liked 15 mins and I so wanted to watch the whole 6 episode (sign of a really good show). If only this was on Netflix and we could do binge watching !

Flag
completely SUCKS that this is the final season & only 6 episodes, wth??!!! OTH among others got 13 episode final seasons from The CW so why couldn't Nikita get the same treatment from them??!!!!
Flag
Loved this Image of Nikita in the air-vent

Somehow it made me flashback to the original 1990 Luc Besson movie.

Flag
I suspect strongly that the reference to the original Luc Besson film image was deliberate.

The series writers are very much on top of things. I doubt it was an accident.
Flag
Hey, you're right!

Very observant of you.
Flag
Not the first time this Nikita has paid homage to other iterations of Nikita, and I love it when they do. Remember the explosion into the vent through which Nikita escaped the CIA in Season 1 "Pandora", a homage to Point of No Return.
Flag
That scene is in 1990 La femme Nikita as well. Point of no return is an almost identical remake only bigger explosions.
Flag
An amazing premiere. Nikita is always a great TV show. It's a pleasure to see a beautiful and excellent Maggie back. All other actors/actresses are good as well. The episode goes 200mph with not a second of time-out. That's what other TV shows should do. Can't wait to watch the next.
Flag
Lovvved the season premiere . The acting in this was just incredible . 5 to go , I'm so sad . :[ But may I just say how beautiful Maggie Q & Aaron Stanford are ?! <3
Flag
Great start to the season. Amanda is still as cunning as ever, and Nikita is in more trouble than ever, now that she's been framed for the murder (by explosion!) of a high profile journalist. It's amazing how many connections this Shop has. Now they have a freaking high-ranking Fed in their pockets?!!! Damn!!!! But if Nikita and company survive and win this, it'll make this six-episode season (that sucks!!!) that much more satisfying.

Speaking of company, I like that Alex is playing two roles: as Alex the spy and as Alexandra the survival billionaire heiress. It should be very compelling, and her discovery could be a BIG deciding factor. Good to see everyone else as well, especially Sonya, who was looking very FINE in this episode.
Flag
One reason: terrible ratings unfortunately. So bad that most other shows would have been cancelled before but I believe the show has a strong following in Asia so international sales appear to have saved it so we get a final (albeit short) 4th season.
But I am with you, one of the best shows, if not the best, in the CW...
Flag
Low rating is bullshit! The real problem is CW's audience being totally inapt to appreciate quality shows like Nikita. Asian audience seems to be much smarter.
Flag
No it is not bullshit. Whilst we can debate about the quality of a show or the smarts of any given audience, ratings are facts and Nikita's ratings have been subpar even for the CW. Networks like the CW make money, primarily, from the advertising and the fees they can charge depend on ratings which is why there is a fairly close correlation between ratings and renewals (with exceptions of course). Lots of good info if the topic interest you on http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This show is always great. I wish more people were watching!
Flag
One of the best shows currently on TV. Only five episodes left? What a shame!

The silver lining to this dark cloud? This probably ensures that "Nikita" will not lose its way, drag on, and end badly, the way "Lost" and "Dexter" did.

It's unlikely the writers can screw up too badly with only a handful of episodes left.
Flag
I think their only danger is having too much story to cover in six episodes and rushing it/cramming too much in.
Flag
That's true. That is indeed the danger.

But I'll take that over a Lost or Dexter WTF? non-ending ending any day!

LOL!
Flag
"Nerd!?" Loved how Maggie delivered that.

Thanks for taking the time to cover the end of the series! Nikita fans appreciate it!
Flag
It's not Owen it's Sam as he pointed it out to Alex.
Flag
True.

But probably many fans are hoping that Owen will dispace Sam as the dominant persona in Owen/Sam.

I really liked Owen. He was a genuinely nice guy, as trained contract killers go. LOL.
Flag
Staff
Always Owen to me.
Flag
A shout out to Cory Barker! Thank you for covering these last few episodes. Really grateful that you're taking the time and so nice to have a proper review to read after each episode. Friday night wind down :-)
Flag
While I wholly agree that reviews are nice, before we go completely overboard with gratefulness, let's not completely overlook the fact that this is the man's job and that he (presumably) gets payed for it. You don't have to offer him livestock or fruits from the harvest as thanks. But again,I agree! It's nice. Thank you!
Flag
Wow! Issues? I said "thank you" and that the fact that he's doing the reviews is "nice" FOR ME! Because it gives ME something to read.
I know it's his job and that doesn't change the fact that I'm grateful that I can come here and read weekly NIKITA reviews.
Your comment was completely unnecessary and actually quite rude.
Flag
Maybe so. I actually quite appreciate it too. I'm really happy someone is taking the time and are doing this, for our entertainment. All I'm saying is - he's not just doing it for our entertainment - it's his job. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that it is, but still.
Flag
Aaaah, it's kinda nice to have NIKITA back. I didn't realise how much I missed the show until I watched this episode. To be honest, the show did loose a lot of its kick after season two and it's struggled to really grab me ever since. However, I still care about all of these characters and that for me is the most important thing when it comes to any show that I watch (The Walking Dead I'm looking at you) so it's nice to know that there will be a proper conclusion to their journey/s.
This wasn't the kind of high-stakes super spy episode that I was expecting but there was definitely enough there to keep me interested. It's kind of sad to know that there's only 5 episodes of NIKITA left - ever!
Flag
P.S. Wasn't the president still alive and locked in some cage in one of Amanda's dungeons at the end of last season?
Flag
Right. The "president" whom Nikita was framed for assassinating was one of Amanda's dopplegangers.

She was an MK Ultra type "Manchurian Candidate" pre-programmed to blow her brains out on cue.

That's surely how Nikita is eventually going to be cleared of assassinating the president. The real president is going to be rescued and make it obvious that the charges were false and that Nikita was framed.
Flag
Ah yes. Thanks for the reminder. :-)
I wonder why they didn't show the scene with the president being captured by Amanda in the "previously on"?
Flag
YES! Yes she was!!!! So, it doesn't make any kind of sense to use reviews to wonder if these theoretical "magic drugs" can turn people against each other. Because we already know it isn't "magic drugs" that's making peeps act crazy. It's that they've been replaced by doubles, presumably produced by the Shop. The men who were being bought in the episode, were obviously worth so much, because of their resemblance to someone important, who the Shop (or Amanda) wants replaced. How do we know about doubles? Because they told us about them last season. Come on!
Flag
Ummm....Owen/Sam is not a double. He is acting "crazy" because Amanda screwed with his brain.
Also some of us don't remember every detail. We haven't all been binge-watching NIKITA during the break.
You need to take a chill-pill and not be so aggressive in every comment.
Flag
Uhmmm... okay. I'm not talking about Sam/Owen. We know what's up with him. I'm talking about the various dignitaries and different important figures that have been "replaced". It's not like I'm on some rampant, angry internet-crusade, it's just that I don't think we should all discuss the potential ramifications of non-existent plot points. The review said "...and I can already picture a world where one of the team members gets injected with the stuff and turns their gun(s) on Nikita or anyone else.". All I'm saying is, maybe that's not that likely a scenario. And I certainly don't remember every detail. It's just that last season the lady/president was screaming and being sort of pathetic in a cage. I found it strangely memorable.
Flag
What? How/Why? I don't remember that happening. lol
Flag
Hey Chris,
Yeah it's true. The president who killed herself was a....wait for it.....DOPPLEGÄNGER! Lmfao! (they've crossed into another show) Seriously though, she was one of Amanda's (and the shops) clones and the real president is being held captive by Amanda.
Flag
Hi :)

Thanks, I didn't realize they are crossing in sci-fi territory this season. Than again Michael did get a new hand, and I've never been able to accept that since I've always considred this show as an action/drama and not sci-fi.
Flag
You're correct.
Flag
Watching this fantastic premiere of season 4, I realised how much I missed it! There is nothing better than a great spy show, including lots of conspiracy, loyal companions, nasty villains, outrageous experiments on humans, silly escape plans, weapons, blood.... Hadn't had so much fun since ALIAS!!

Despite the fact I knew already about this shortened farewell-season 6 episodes just sound so ridiculous - it is precious little and does no justice to Nikita and the extraordinary characters we grew fond of. However, I am happy for the promising start and can't wait to see the next episode... Team Nikita will kick Amandas lovely ass just fine!
Flag
Maggie Q looks nice in everything. That is all.
Flag
I'm just hoping that Michael and Nikita end up with some sort of happy ending. If those two don't end up together, I will be seriously disappointed
Flag
"... some sort of happy ending"

I agree. Nikita is a more optimistic story than La Femme Nikita, its predecessor. We'll probably get a reasonably upbeat ending.
Flag
Oh I'm sure that Michael and Nikita will get an epic happy ending. They belong together and the whole point behind this shortened last season is to give the fans the closure they deserve.
Flag
Usually people who kill the President get their full names plastered all over the place, so I wondered if the show was going to remember Nikita had one. Prior to this, there was only one episode of the entire run where someone said "Nikita Mears," and it was just as jarring then as it was now. It's like hearing "Cher Sarkisian."
Flag
True. Their "full names" often include their middle names.

John Wilkes Booth. Lee Harvey Oswald.
Flag
I should qualify my remark somewhat.

Oswald didn't assassinate JFK. According to Washington insiders, it has become increasingly clear that a coalition headed by LBJ orchestrated JFK's assassination.

Inside jobs are more common than we assume. The talented writers for Nikita have made good use of this fact in their story lines.
Flag
LOL! So true ;-) Madonna Ciccone....haha just sounds wack!
Flag
Good season premiere. After 3 seasons you think you would get bored of amanda's games.But that's not the case.Go team Nikita!
Also only 6 episodes in last season?This is the worst idea ever. I know Nikita is no Breaking Bad.But it's still entertaining and has lot of fan following.Niki deserves a proper farewell.
Flag
Shit just got real ! Awesome premier.. And the roof top line.... pure gold !
Flag
I love Nikita, I have never been disappointed with it and the streak has continued. The season premiere was fantastic. I'm just sad that this is the final season and that it only has 6 episodes! What the hell is that about?
Flag
I agree. I don't recall a single Nikita episode that I would call "bad."

Consistently good writing.
Flag
This season is up to a wonderfull start, the stakes have never been higher. You can really feel Nikita's hopelessness at the end, how will she ever find the light through the tunnel.
I can't wait to see how things will play out, I am at the edge of my seat.
Flag
The only problem I had was with killing off that reporter guy and the leading FBI agent being a bad guy. Just when you think Nikita's making some allies, boom, one dead guy, one bad guy.
Wish this final season had more than 6 episodes. 10 or 12 would've seemed more right.
Flag
Staff
Yeah, that was kind of a bummer. But I guess they really want to emphasize how little she has and how much she's up against.
Flag
Right.

Nikita is a "super soldier." She's so good the opposition has to be equal to her.

Also, the greater the odds, the greater the eventual triumph.
Flag
I'm so happy. After watching the end of a bad season of Covert Affairs, it was so nice to see a real spy show on TV again; and they seem to have toned down the super gadgetry and went to depending on writing and characterization. This was great with no low points that I could see and makes me wonder who was stupid enough to cancel this.
Flag
I stopped watching Covert Affairs, after first season, despite cliffhanger, because I found it just medicore, but now that Nikita is unfortunatly ending soon, I may reconsider catching up, if season 2 and 3 are good. Should I?
Flag
It just got better until season the very end of season 3 and then seemed to come off the rails for season 4. Of course, that is just my opinion, but it seems like they changed the entire back creative end for season 4(writers, editors, director, cinematographer, etc). It's very apparent something got changed.
Flag
"I'm on a roof top idiot. What do you think I want?" Best line ever
Flag
woah, awesome. did not see that coming. a little slow to get going, but the end was great
Flag
it's not over yet. I'll let you know when i catch up at the end watching on my DVR
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Caught on Camera With Nick Cannon High Jinx
    NEW
    NBC
  •  
    500 Questions
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm