Nikita

One Way

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Nov 11, 2010 on The CW

• Michael goes on a one man mission. Nikita tags along.

This would have been a strong swan song for Michael. I was hoping against hope that the writers would go there, that they'd have the cojones to off their (arguably) weakest link, character-wise. Yes, this episode does inject some much needed colour into an otherwise blank slate, and I will admit that fleshing out his character the way they do here and cementing his allegiance with Division and his distrust of Nikita gives him an edge now, but will it be enough to redeem this walking, talking mannequin? I highly doubt it.

Since this is a Michael-centric episode, there's a lot of that will they/won't they sparring between him and Nikita. I still do not approve of this strained relationship; it would have felt especially forced had they kissed during this hour, one that sees Michael exacting revenge on the man that killed his wife and daughter. They don't lock lips, thankfully, but even so, flirting with the idea of a possible smooch at all during this hour felt off. I'd like to think this is the last we'll see of this particular pairing if the ending is to be believed.

Meanwhile at Division, Alex is put in yet another sticky situation that proves to test her resilience and resourcefulness as a double-agent. As with most weeks, Alex's sub-plot manages to eclipse the main plot ever so slightly and after weeks and weeks of seemingly pointless cat fights with Jaden, their bickering is used as a clever twist to double-bluff Percy and Amanda. I'd like to see more of Jaden in a non-bitca capacity, the character has potential. Alex could do with some help on the inside, as this episode proves Nikita won't always be there to help her protege out.

While this is a fairly standard episode of Nikita -- and by that I mean characters are kept to a minimum and the plots trail along as you'd expect -- there's still plenty to enjoy, and once again this is far from what you'd call filler. There's a lot of mythology-building at play here; we finally find out why Michael blindly follows Percy and his shady doings, and it's because he has been promised the head of the man that killed his family on a stick. The hour also uses its well-timed flashbacks to really help animate Michael in ways we just haven't seen so far on the show (did anyone else know he had the emotional capacity to smile, for instance?).

In the grand scheme of things, Nikita is still planting seeds for the rest of season. We're introduced to yet another possible recurring baddie, only this time it's Michael's very own adversary. It's a testament to the writing that they allow so many doors to remain open for future episodes, it really expands on this world of espionage quite a bit and will certainly layer the next episode to feature the return of said baddie.

Not quite as tightly plotted as I've come to expect from this show, but still a marked improvement over last week, ''One Way'' contains enough action and character development to keep you from dosing off.

It also made me kinda, sorta like Michael a bit.
  • One Of The Best CW Series To Date - Superb.

Each new episode of Nikita just gets better and better.
    I've always found Nikita to be a direct cross between Dollhouse and Bourne, taking the good from both and eliminating anything not so good.
    All characters within the Nikita plot have fantastic potential for development (as we have seen already).
    At first I thought "where will they be in 10 episodes time?" and then an episode just focuses in on one person, tells of their struggles and story, involves Nikita in too, and it always comes together so brilliantly.
    The potential for relationships is always there, and often comes unbelievably close. There is no doubt that Nikita can run and run as there seems to be no end to where it can go.
    A brilliant series.