Nikita

True Believer

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Nov 02, 2012 on The CW

• Spies gone rogue.

An impressively trenchant, action-packed episode of Nikita this week, which may still straddle too closely to stand-alone territory for my liking, but when the storyline is this good, it's hard to fault the hour. Having said that, this is by no means perfect: there are quite a few parallels between this week and last week's episode that undermine the power of the plot here, as we basically have the same scenario playing out, albeit with a considerable age-difference and extra moral quandaries for Nikita to consider. Nevertheless, this is Nikita back doing what it does best - kicking a lot of ass and and having fun with some awesome spy-tech. The storyline is refreshingly straight-forward, although once again we witness and ill-judged power struggle between Nikita and Ryan that never truly convinces. I have a feeling this is the prelude to Ryan's eventual fall, into a darker and deeper pit, only to rise as Percy 2.0. The new ensemble vibe is keeping things steady and light, as well as more personal between characters, giving this new season a fresh face and overall tone. It's also good to note that, even with a new gleam of paint, Nikita can still get down and grubby and offer up top-notch television.