Nip/Tuck

Agatha Ripp

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Aug 10, 2004 on FX

• Sister Rita Claire: "The pain of the flesh doesn't compare to the pain of the soul Dr. Troy."

We got an outstanding, thought provoking patient storyline today that related very well to a crisis of faith and lies going on in our characters lives.

As Sean was discussing how he puts all his faith into his practice and family I could feel myself cringing, as I knew finding out the truth about Matt would obliterate his faith in both items. I never predicted such a heart pounding scene though when Julia finally confessed to Sean. While Sean tried to deny it at first, he didn't even have to ask for proof because deep down inside he knew who Matt acted like. He knew who he looked like. The scene was extremely emotional, and Sean choking Julia was more shocking then any twisted surgery or storyline this show has produced. Excellent job.

Liz finally got to experience the joy of parenthood, only to find out her child had Down syndrome. Liz also had a crisis of faith in this episode, as she begged in tears for Agatha Ripp to help heal her baby as she needed to believe in something. Roma Maffia did a fantastic job today, and only proved that she is constantly being underused on this show.

The Agatha Ripp storyline was certainly a unique piece of work from Ryan Murphy (this episode was written by him). First Agatha comes in to the practice saying her case of stigmata was faked, only for the next day to tell the doctors that it's real and from Christ. I was surprised when it turned out to be Sister Rita Claire who was generating the stigmata, as she was very helpful to the doctors and the only member of the church cynical of Agatha's condition (although that could have been a give away). Sean, after everything he believed in crumbles, even turned his faith to religion. Only to be told by Agatha that her stigmata was never real, and faked to gather attendance in the church so it could stay open. Sean is going through a troublesome, crucial moment in his life right now, and I just hope he doesn’t spiral out of control.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Practically the whole cast deserves awards for today's episode, but especially Roma Maffia, Dylan Walsh, Joely Richardson, and Julian McMahon.

- Christian didn't even have to ask what it was about when Sean punched him. He knew what would turn his friend against him like that. I question how their friendship is going to recover from this.

- Liz: "I'm getting my kid baptised."

Christian: "Over my dead body."

Liz: "Easily arranged."

- Our final quote today comes from Agatha Ripp:

(to Sean) "Don't you get it? There is nothing to believe in anymore."

Final Rating: Despite the absence of Matt and Ava, this was a series classic. 4 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com