Nip/Tuck

Allegra Caldarello

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Feb 24, 2009 on FX

• Screwed the Couch

Liz's mother was just as she was described over the years: intimidating, conservative and rude. Roma Maffia was, as usual, impressive in the episode and her inevitable confrontation with Mariela was performed with just the right amount of fear and sudden confidence on Liz's part.

Richard Burgi, continuing his attempts to appear on every single TV series currently airing, was genius casting as Christian's would-be replacement. In his portrayal of Dr Logan Taper, he has the charm, looks and underlying sleaziness that make Julian McMahon's performances as Christian so compelling, and fit into the show really well. And, like most of Nip/Tuck's guest stars lately, he has his own kinky fetish. The couch humping was laugh-out-loud funny, even if it probably wasn't as groundbreaking as the writers would have liked (having already appeared on other shows). The scene where Taper licked his desk and started inspecting the couch were hilarious, while his final confrontation with Sean and Christian was great ("I'm sure you two can understand" -- "Get out!").

It was neat to see the return of Allegra Calderello, one of the most memorable Nip/Tuck patients and one of my personal favorites. Elaine Hausman is great in the role, with the shyness and innocence, and I enjoyed that the storyline actually had some heart to it instead of simply wacky craziness.

An entertaining episode, but one that admittedly suffers from the fact that its storyline structure is the exact same as many other episodes this season: Christian/Liz drama, surgery-of-the-week, new character with a skeezy fetish. Still, I had fun.

Director: Sean Jablonski