Nip/Tuck

Antonia Ramos

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Oct 14, 2003 on FX

• The American Dream

Ni siquiera me hizo reír esta vez. Y ahí está lo importante de este episodio. Lo que se cuenta acá (acerca de las mulas) es real, por si hace falta decirlo. Hay miles de personas que mueren al año por esto. Acá, en Argentina, llegan personas desde países sudamericanos con cerca de 50 cápsulas llenas de cocaína en sus intestinos. Las tragan, sí, las tragan. Y el problema comienza cuando una de estas cápsulas estallan dentro de sus cuerpos. Podrán imaginarse las consecuencias.
    Y esto por qué pasa? Porque la gente se muere de hambre. Porque todo está tan podrido acá abajo. Aha, las cosas no están nada bien acá en Sudamerica.
  • Stardust Mammaries

I'm not ashamed to say it, but Escobar Gallardo scares the crap out of me. As I was watching this episode, I was wondering to myself if Robert LaSardo is a nice person in real life, or if he's actually evil. He's probably a really great family man or something though, but, man, he's one hell of a convincing actor.

The entire drug-smuggling business as portrayed in this episode was both terrifying and depressing. Antonia Ramos' face as she was told that there is no modeling agency waiting for her was so sad, and to see all these women parade around with grotesquely huge knockers as they believe they're going to have a bright, glitzy future in return was completely disturbing.

While Christian has often been painted as a huge sex monster, this episode made him look like a damn saint compared to the creepy baby store guy. The "pregnant woman" fetish creeps me out enough, but the fact that he was so unashamed at telling the father of Gina's baby what he did with her was gross. I couldn't wait for Christian to pummel him. Meanwhile, I'm still loving the Christian/Gina subplot. The scene with them in bed together was great, especially with Gina telling Christian her last name, which she had long held as an example of his uncaring attitude to women.

I had mixed feelings about the Sofia subplot. While Julia was shown to be an actual human with feelings for a change, the rest of Miami were portrayed as complete tools which made for some uncomfortable viewing. And with neither Julia or Sofia winning the battle against the Pilate ladies at the end of the episode, there didn't really seem to be a purpose for the whole story. While Nip/Tuck did end up exploring transsexuality in a variety of different storylines in other seasons, it was a shame that Sofia never appeared on the show again, especially as I really liked her blossoming friendship with Julia.

Besides the Sofia subplot, this episode was everything that's great about Nip/Tuck. Gallardo is an amazing bad guy, and I doubt anybody can see the moment where he casually walks into the McNamara kitchen holding Annie's hand and not get chills. Another season one classic.

Director: Elodie Keene
    Writers: Jennifer Salt, Brad Falchuk
    Rating: A
  • Gina: \"Oh S**t S**t S**t God dammit!\" Christian: \"Have you met the mother of my child? Lovely isn\'t she?\"

I found Christian and Gina\'s attempts at parenthood amusing. Christian seemed to be the better person this time around. He tried to keep Gina from her old bad habits (smoking and sex), and in the end he even let her sleep in his bed. Having a child does seem to bring out the best in him. While Gina and Christian are one of the most bizarre couples around, I like the strange love/hate relationship they have. The ending scene showed that they do have some chance as a couple. While it would be nice if they lasted, I just don\'t think it will happen. But I\'ll go along with it for now.
    Escobar is one of a kind. He is humorous, refers to people by \"gentlemen\", and jams out to 80s music. He would be a fun character if he weren’t so darn evil!

Escobar coming to Sean\'s house and threatening Julia was effectively creepy, and had me at the edge of my seat. He definitely is one of the most twisted characters this season, and I found some of the things he did to those ladies vile. Escobar didn\'t even care when Antonia Ramos was dying on the bed, all he cared about was the heroin inside her breast implants. The whole storyline was very effective, especially as Antonia cried about returning home, saying her family was counting on her for money.

I was a little disappointed with the Sophia Lopez rehash storyline though. They already dealt with the “finding acceptance” lesson with Sean, and it felt a little deja vu with it happening all over again except this time to Julia. I thought they should have dealt instead with the outcome of Henry telling Cara the truth about the hit and run. But overall it was still a solid episode.

Final Notes and Quotes

- I loved that Liz decided to help out Sean and Christian without even being asked to.

- How much time has passed since the last episode? Gina\'s already gotten pretty big, so I\'m going to guess around 6-7 months.

- Character Tidbits: Gina\'s last name is Russo, and she lives on a boat called \"Good Ship Lollipop\".

- No Grace in this episode, which I thought was a little strange given all that was going on with the business.

Sean: \"Maybe if you laid off the cocaine you wouldn\'t be so paranoid.\"
    Escobar: \"You need to watch your mouth. I don\'t tolerate rudeness at the dinner hour\"

Final Rating: This was an intense episode, 3 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com
  • Poison Arrow Written by Jennifer Salt And Brad Falchuk Directed by Elodie Keene

They are some episode so razor sharp, they could cut you with a knife and then they are others that prick you with an acidity that could kill. Needless to say, the penultimate episode of Season 1 has that desired effect.

Take Julia for example. Some of the comments she makes when angry have a frostbite type feel and no one felt more left out in the cold than Matt when she put her foot down and told him, she was his parent, not his pal. If this had anything to do with the Cara incident, you’d understand but Matt was trying to reach out and be helpful. However this episode didn’t really give me much time to berate Julia as she became something of a knight in shining armour for Sophia Lopez (always a pleasure to see this character) when Suzanne and the women at Pilate’s wanted Sophia out of the class. What a bitch! I knew Suzanne was vindictive but her behaviour here was downright malicious.

I cheered that Julia refused to sign her awful petition and laid into her lack of decency. It’s just such a pity it backfired on her and that Sophia lost out anyway when the women boycotted the class anyhow. Bringing back Sophia again this time as a confidant for Julia was a nice touch as she got to reveal her fears of Sean wanting to leave her, leaving their tangles state of affairs up in the air.

Sophia’s treatment of those women at Pilate’s was shocking but to top it more, Escobar Gallardo, that nasty drug lord who kidnapped and tortured Christian in the “Pilot” made a spectacular return and proved instantly that he’s even more nastier than originally perceived as we learned how he callously uses foreign women to import heroin in their breasts in return for a modelling contract (we later find out it doesn’t exist) and quickly blackmails the surgeons into helping operate on these women to acquire his cargo, even going as far as visiting the McNamara household bringing out a feral side in Sean, that is kept in check when Escobar threatens his family and Sean is forced to comply.

While injecting a sick sense of humour in an overall dangerous and homicidal villain, Escobar is undoubtedly the nastiest character we’ve encountered in the first season. Even though he’s smaller than them, the camera angles go to great lengths to make Escobar tower over Sean and Christian during every single scene he has with them, it makes his flunky Pepe virtually obselete. I found it funny Liz would want to risk her life for the lads until she mentioned they her assistance in order to lessen the pain for the woman Escobar is using as cargo, giving her that strong moral centre only hinted at in previous episodes.

If the return of Escobar wasn’t bad enough for Christian, then Gina (who is probably a fan of Shakespeare) keeps good on her promise to make Christian pay for their baby and that of course means making sure Junior has the most expensive accessories on the block. The love/hate relationship with these two is brilliantly played out as Christian tries and ultimately fails to control Gina, whether it’s her smoking, living conditions or having sex with skeevy store clerks. I just hope this thread doesn’t fizzle too fast though. Of course, realising she’s alone, we get to see a softer side to Gina that even appeals to Christian enough to let her stay at his place and in his bed too but this far from means they are going to fully let the other take advantage of them.

Also in “Antonio Ramos”

Patients of the week: Both of Escobar’s girls – Maria Amador and Antonio Ramos have huge implants of heroin in them which needed to be removed for their own safety as well as Escobar’s benefit. Plus there was Ms.Guttierez at the end of the episode.

Liz: “Every time I see what women do to themselves for these tit-jobs, it makes me ashamed of what I do for a living”
    Christian: “These tit-jobs pay 70% of our business, Liz”.

Escobar (to Sean and Christian): “We help people deal with the hate they feel about themselves. You do it by carving up their faces, I do it by dulling their senses”.

They are rumours of Sean and Julia not on speaking terms is spreading. Both Suzanne and Sophia were aware of their marital woes.

Gina: “What’s the matter, Christian, no attracted to pregnant women?”
    Christian: “No, just not attracted to you”.

Gina has a boat called “Good Ship Lollipop” (Christian sold his in this episode). I couldn’t help but think when she sent that stroller to the bottom of the sea that Sean and Christian could have a similar fate if they double-cross Escobar.

Julia (re Sean): “Stop protecting him and me. It is so inappropriate. We’re your parents, not your pals. A concept that some people in this house lost total track of. Do you know what’s going on with him lately?”
    Matt; “Nope, which apparently is great because, according to you, what goes around in this family is none of my business”.

Sean: “Maybe if you laid off the cocaine, you wouldn’t be so paranoid”
    Escobar: “You need to watch your mouth. I don’t tolerate rudeness at the dinner hour”.

Gina is six months pregnant, so there’s six months between this episode and “Kurt Dempsey”, a month and a half between that and the “Pilot”, so it’s been seven and a half, nearly eight months in this series’ overall chronology.

Sophia: “Marriage is hard, Julia, I know. I’ve been there and I failed, you know, when I was a man”
    Julia: “Oh right”.

Gina: “Better not snore asshole”
    Christian: “Right back at you”.

Standout music: There was a huge 80’s vibe in this episode but the best song was “I Wear My Sunglasses At Night” by Corey Hart.

Tense, exciting and more than just a bit chilling, Antonia Ramos is the prefect prelude to what promises to be a kick ass season finale. It really will be interesting to see if Sean and Christian can sink or swim against Escobar.

• Good episode further highlighted by a great supporting cast. Episode summary in review.

Aside from the Julia/Sophia subplot, this episode could’ve played well alongside the season finale as a two hour event. The return of an early villain provides a venue for significant change and complication in the characters’ lives. Things are escalating as they’re drawn deeper into an underworld where gangster exploit innocent and desperate people and hope for escaping their clutches grows dim.

Sean and Christian consult Maria, a Colombian with enormous breasts. She had two implants in each breast to appeal to American love for well endowed women. When she arrived, she found out that modeling agencies wouldn’t take someone with as large a chest as hers. As they prepare for surgery, they talk about how they can’t believe the butchers who would do two implants, a very painful procedure.

Sean is curious about the fluid inside the implants. It doesn’t feel or have the consistency of saline. Suddenly Escobar Gallardo emerges and informs then that it is heroin. Maria agreed to be his mule and snuck in a million dollars worth of heroin in her breasts. Consequences make for great drama, and the return of Gallardo is a great example of that. In addition, it’s great to see more Robert LaSardo, who really shines in the last episodes of the season.

Gallardo wonders when Maria will be available to undergo another implant procedure. They can’t believe that he would do that to her. She could lose sensation in her breasts if she’s operated on again. He ignores that concern since she begged him to be a mule and he feels the opportunity to live in America outranks the risks with these procedures. Stories of the desperately poor who’ll do anything to provide a better life for their family and the drug lords who test that claim are unimaginable here.

He draws a parallel that drug dealers and plastic surgeons aren’t that different in their function in life. Both help people deal with self-loathing and both leave “no scars”. Escobar is there to tie up a loose end. Perez, one of Gallardo’s former henchmen from the pilot episode, stole the $300,000 that he used to pay McNamara/Troy to alter his face. Gallardo wants it back. Unfortunately, they have spent the money on their business. He demands that they get it somehow in a week. To reiterate how evil this man is, he makes a rape threat directed at Julia as a potential way to repay his debt.

When Julia goes to her yoga class, she meets Sophia Lopez, who is taking the class as well. Sophia draws much attention to herself and gets strange looks from everyone in the studio except for Julia. Julia’s story doesn’t fit so well in retrospect because of their decision not to continue the Sophia Lopez character. It feels a bit like a rehashed version of the “Sophia Lopez” episode, where someone garners tolerance for a different lifestyle.

Getting $300,000 is stressful enough, but in addition, Christian has to prepare for his family. Gina is now six months pregnant and eager to buy expensive items for the baby, in addition to child proofing Christian’s apartment. The pregnancy has changed Christian. Though he still doesn’t like Gina eating on his $1,100 sheets, he rebukes her for trying to smoke while pregnant. She agrees to stop, but only if he’ll buy the expensive things for her.

Approaching the deadline, they find that they’re still short of what Escobar wants. They have to take “less desirable” clients, such as the man with two tongue tips, and ask for payments up front in cash. By the meeting, they are still short, but Escobar cuts them a deal to have them exclusively work on his mules. Sean shoots his mouth off and Escobar threatens to cut off his hand, effectively ruining his livelihood.

Following this Christian and Gina are out shopping for things for the baby. There they meet Brad, one of the clerks. Within minutes, he is more affectionate than Christian has been to her through their whole relationship (if you can call it that.) She even gives him her address for the order, something Christian doesn’t know. While at the store, Pepe gives him further instructions about a new mule coming to town.

The strange looks Sophia got results in a petition to remove her from the class. All the members have signed except for Julia. They are concerned about having a man there, even if he underwent gender reassignment. Julia’s comfortable with having her in the class, and begs Susanne to let her speak to Sophia to see if she can do anything. Actually, she doesn’t, but instead supports her enrollment. Because of her support, she gets a girlfriend to discuss her problems with, which doesn’t have much impact as she doesn’t come back to the show.

Sean still doesn’t want to cave in to Gallardo’s demands, but Christian sees no other option. The last time he tried, he was tortured with Botox injections. They’re stuck in an impossible situation as a murderer holds them hostage with threats of violence if demands are not upheld. The consequence for taking in a client like Perez has snowballed beyond anything from which they could walk away.

Christian finds out her address and confronts her about her ability to raise this child. She lives in a houseboat, which can be dangerous for a child. The marina isn’t clean either; there are rats everywhere. Christian is right, but Gina refuses his help and throws his gift of a stroller in the water.

Sean rushes out of the house, which raises Julia’s ire. In the wake of the affair, heading out for “late surgery” is going to rouse above normal suspicion. He failed to notify her before she started to prepare dinner. Frustrated, she throws the frying pan in the sink. Matt tries to comfort her by saying that he’s likely not having an affair. She’s upset that he found out about it and that he’s trying to cushion the act itself. Matt leaves frustrated that he’s being treated like a kid. Somehow, this scene doesn’t function as it should. They should’ve spent more of this episode focusing on the aftermath of Henry’s decision to tell Cara instead of Julia’s friendship with Sophia.

Sean and Christian prepare for surgery when Liz enters. She isn’t there for them, but for the girl who was mutilated for the drug trade. Pepe comes in and tells them there’s been a complication and they need to go. Liz was right to come. The title character is in a seedy hotel, convulsing because of an infection she got from the unclean tools the butchers used.

This is where we see what a callous monster Escobar truly is. He’s not doting over her. He’s satisfying his cocaine desire in another room as 80s pop music plays (which becomes far more sinister than it was ever intended). He doesn’t even know her name (Pepe tells them). Instead, he refers to her as derogatory words. He’s only concerned with the heroin inside her. Once he gets it, he leaves them to do whatever with Antonia.

They do the right thing and treat her in their office. As she learns her prognosis, she asks when she’ll be well enough to travel to Fort Lauderdale to pursue her modeling contract. She hasn’t figured out that it was all a scam so Escobar could get drugs into the states. This news crushes her. To see such a delicate, beautiful girl be mislead by a vile monster like Escobar further escalates the hatred from the audience.

As Christian gets his order from the baby supply store, he finds out that Brad had slept with Gina. Brad has a pregnant woman fetish. Where the Christian we knew from early in the season would’ve congratulated him, the new one is furious that he would brag about being with the mother of his child. This child made Christian able to see outside of himself.

Matt and Julia discuss the aftermath of that previous conversation. Matt is certain that something is wrong. They don’t have time to say much before Escobar comes from one of the rooms with Annie, holding her hand. He tells them that this visit is to let Sean know he visited. It is tense as he grabs the kitchen knife and slams it down on a cucumber. He compliments her on her choice of produce, which is true to his character; a blend of the psychotic and charismatic.

Gina tries to light another cigarette, which Christian swipes before she can. Now she is pursuing her sexual addiction on top of her other self-destructive attitudes. She dismisses his concerns as his way of making her life miserable, but he sees it as protecting the baby. He knows she can’t handle being a mother alone so he invites her to his house so he can be an active participant in helping this baby’s development. They sleep together (in the literal sense) and they experience intimacy that they never were able to in the past. He touches her stomach tenderly and feels the baby kick and she finally divulges her last name. Something she had held out on him since they met.

Sean has come a long way since the pilot episode. With his family threatened, Sean warns Escobar, who at the time is “busy” with a mistress, never to go near them again. Escobar commends Sean on his audacity, but tells him his visit was to make sure he knew that he wouldn’t get any resistance for future work. Then he gets back to his mistress, threatening that he could easily do what he’s doing to his wife. It’s unsettling as he makes Sean watch. They have no choice, and take another mule as a patient.

The episode fully utilizes Robert LaSardo, who was underused in the pilot episode, to show the consequences of their actions wouldn’t be limited to self contained episodes. The titular character’s ordeal, while brief, was affective and disturbing. Certain elements outside of Sean and Christian’s story don’t work ideally, but the whole is moving to a satisfying conclusion.