Bobbi Broderick

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jul 27, 2004 on FX

• The Collector And The Collected Written by Lyn Greene And Richard Levine Directed by Michael M. Robin

Given that the only episode Matt has had any centre stage in this season (the disappointing “Christian Troy”), it’s been a while since he was in the foreground and finally we got a lot of him here. Now I’m not a fan of the guy but it’s pointless having Jon Hensley in the opening credits if the guy is going to have bugger all to do. Given Matt’s recent behaviour, Julia decided (one could argue “about time”) he could benefit from sessions with Ava, seeing as her new best friend was gracious enough to give her the courage to get rid of Erica (which I personally thank her for). The problem is though, while on a positive level Matt may have finally opened up about what really happened with Cara, Ava’s little “trust game” all too quickly became a sex game where she’s in control and Matt gets arrested for lewd behaviour.

Plot-wise this is a delicious and dark twist but it would’ve been better much better had Ava at least interacted with Matt more than once. Her actions towards him are highly predatory and Christian was right to get on his moralistic high-ground when he condemned her unprofessional relationship with Matt. Ava may not be committing statutory rape by Florida law but this is very much a power play relationship. Although Matt may have scored one victory by getting her to put out, it’s Ava who holds all the cards, make no mistake.

It was a masterstroke twist for Christian to be set up with Ava by Sean (boy, does he so not have a clue?) and there’s some rip-roaring tension between Julian McMahon and Famke Janssen. Christian may be appalled by Ava’s lack of moral and she may prefer school boys but there was a glimmer of attraction between them even still. I have to also commend how Ava quickly deduced that Christian is Matt’s real father, given that Julia’s half-assed confession revealed very little but it was Christian and his talk of being close to the McNamara’s that got her to join the dots. Then there’s the arrival of Ava’s naked, creepy son Adrian, which undoubtedly spells more complications in an already messy thread.

Besides the Matt and Ava arc, not as much personally happened with this episode. Well, okay Christian offered his sperm to Liz so she could conceive after slagging her off in the opening sequence about having kids her age, but quelle surprise, he was willing to be her knight in shining armour and there was a really lovely scene with them in the break room. I can’t see the baby thing taking off, but Liz, storyline, guess we should be grateful nonetheless. Julia on the other hand just tried to confide in Ava (this woman certainly knows how to pick friends) and Sean faced scrutiny from a disgruntled Bobbi Broderick who stupidly signed a contract without bothering to read the warning of her procedure, a tummy tuck and because the healing wasn’t instant, she vented her rage at Sean by publicly humiliating him and Julia at a restaurant. So I’m guessing our first lawsuit for McNamara/Troy in Season Two has come then. The only problem is that Sean actually did try to explain but Bobbi dismissed him, so it’s all the silly woman’s fault.

Also in “Bobbi Broderick”

Other patients of the week: Mrs Calderolla had lip reconstruction with skin taken from her labia though she told her husband it was from her knees, Christian shot Ava up with botox and an obese Mr Gross had his ears fixed.

Christian: “Hey I’m all for it. With today’s medical advances, there’s no reason why our healthy seniors shouldn’t be having babies. Think of all the savings. You can share diapers, day-care, yummy jars of stringbeans”
    Liz: “Asshole”.

Sean: “I think you look great for your age”
    Bobbi: “They’re no hiring ‘great for my age’. I don’t want to look like some housewife trying to fill up her days”.

It was nice we got some knowledge about Liz’s family’s reaction to her sexuality. I also thought it was great she didn’t get pregnant to spite her father.

Christian: “You’re the little sister I never got to torture”
    Liz: “We’re not family, Christian. We’re not even the same sub-species”.

Ava: “It’s a trust game, Matt, not a sex game. I trusted you, now you trust me”.

Nice but subtle bit of continuity when Matt told Christian he had a father and didn’t need another (oh the irony). That’s what the girl said to Christian at the bar in the season premiere too.

Matt: “You’re offering me sex for grades?”
    Ava: “I’m just trying to get your life back on track”.

Bobbi (to Sean): “Look at me. How many more chances do you think I’m going to get?”

No chronological references in this episode.

Christian (re Mrs Calderallo): “I’m putting pussy lips back on the schedule”.

I know it’s mundane but how did Matt know that Christian slept with Erica? I can’t think why anyone would tell him, even Sean.

Christian: “What the hell are you doing here?”
    Ava: “I just wanted to see the expression on your face when you saw me. Definitely worth the trip”.

Standout music: Scissors Sisters’ “Filthy/Gorgeous” and Kelis’ “Milkshake” of course”.

Thank goodness that when this shoe produces a boring episode, they bounce back with something special and while this may clearly be a set up, it’s a freaking great one. I can’t wait to see what chaos will come out of Matt’s paternity revelation and it looks like we won’t have to wait very long either.