Nip/Tuck

Cliff Mantegna

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Sep 09, 2003 on FX

• It looks like Kimber and Christian's relationship is heading downhill fast.

It looks like Kimber and Christian's relationship is heading downhill fast. Christian already has Kimber acting out fantasies for him that included dressing up as a hooker, a nurse and having hot lesbian make out sessions at The Scene (which I found rather lackluster and uneventful given all the buildup to it throughout the episode).

Christian is already bored with Kimber, and is having a hard time with a monogamous relationship ("If I'm going to do this one women thing it can't be...with only one woman.") Kimber may think that by acting out his fantasies everything will be fine, but the audience knows that truly things never will. Christian obviously still has eyes for Julia (the sparks were flying between them in the last scene), and Kimber is just a way for him to pass the time.

Last week Sean helped Megan realize she was beautiful; this week Megan helps Sean to always be honest with himself. I think what makes Sean's affair with Megan unique is that it's not fueled by sex. Sean and Megan really are reaching out to eachother fueled only by loneliness, and they fill a void that both feel that they have in their lives while brining out the best in one another. Their relationship really is so tender that one can't help but root for them.

I found the meeting between the parents of the threesome fascinating and shocking. On one hand we have ignorant conservative parents who wanted no knowledge of their daughter's sex life; and then on another hand we had one mother who, thinking that twelve years old getting blowjobs was normal, thought that their children’s ménage was just "kids being kids". Sean and Julia laid somewhere in between those two views, although on opposite sides. I thought it was good of Sean to listen to Matt's side of the issue with an open mind, instead of just going into it one sided like Julia was. Julia's attitude really didn't help except to get Matt more frustrated and angry, causing him to lash out by discussing Sean and Julia's material problems in front of the other parents.

I was surprised when it was revealed that Matt and Ridley were having a relationship behind Vanessa's back. Matt acted so hurt when he first found Vanessa with Ridley, and then he goes and does the same thing to Vanessa. Vanessa had a very personnel aspect of her life revealed in front of a group of people, and her tears at the betrayal done to her and her embarrassment were very effective. I was a little disappointed in Matt, like Sean was, but on the other hand Vanessa did cheat on him first.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Julia: "Can't a woman do something nice for her husband?"

Sean: "A women can defiantly do something nice for her husband. You drive twenty minutes out of your way to bring me lunch, sounds more like a woman wants her husband to do something nice for her."

- I thought it was a bit hypocritical of Christian to fire Jude, saying Jude reminds him too much of himself. Not that I'm sad to see Jude go.

- No Grace or Liz in this episode.

- Jude says he makes $200 an hour personnel training. As someone who has a parent who's a personnel trainer, let me tell you that's very expensive. Jude's only 26 and what, he can't have more then 4 years of experience can he?

- I liked how Sean kept acting like her forgot who Megan was and what she did, when really, as his erection showed, she's been on his mind for awhile.

- Christian: "For every beautiful woman there's a guy tired of screwing her." Which really makes me wonder if he and his beloved Julia finally got together, would they really last?

Final Rating: First time I saw it I wasn't impressed, but I liked it a lot more the second time. 2 1/2 out of 4 stars? Maybe a 3?

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com