Nip/Tuck

Diana Lubey

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Nov 21, 2006 on FX

• Ashes to Asses

Maybe it's the accent, or the everlasting beauty, but French women just have this classy, glamorous way about them, and Catherine Deneuve displayed all those things in her guest spot. The Diana Lubey story was really moving, even with the mistress twist near the end. On paper the whole "ashes in implants" idea may seem silly, but the writers portray it in such a poignant, beautiful way, and you can completely understand why Diana would want the surgery. I also loved how she managed to get through to Sean, and her farewell kiss was awesome.

The image of all Christian's former girlfriends and one night stands "haunting" his bedroom was really effective. While I don't buy the Christian/Michelle engagement, I did love the direction in the closing moments, with Christian literally "shutting a door" on his playboy lifestyle. I also loved having both Rebecca Gayheart and Rebecca Metz back, especially Gayheart, who put in a really memorable performance back in season two. And with Metz, she even brought along her old friend Mr Paper Bag!

Brooke Shields continued to turn in a brave, sinister performance as Dr Faith. As we saw on Friends years ago, she's really great at playing a psychopath, and the eye twitches and brutal scratches of her pen along her paper in her scene with Sean were hilarious. Although I did like the confrontation scene at the end, I was a little disappointed that she didn't go completely psycho, and maybe try and kill Michelle. But I guess that would have been way too daytime soap-y for this show.

Three great storylines and some classic guest star work from the many beautiful females we see in this episode. Anything would be a step up from the trainwreck that was Conor McNamara, 2026, but the writers really excelled themselves this time.

Director: Charles Haid