Nip/Tuck

Erica Noughton

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 22, 2004 on FX

• ...otro capítulo más...

Igual al comienzo de la primera temporada no quedé conforme con este capítulo, de lo más flojito que ví hasta ahora. La historia no es interesante, el personaje de la madre de Julia no esta a la altura de semejante actriz, y nada interesante pasa. Espero que la falta de contenido no sea una constante esta temporada.
    Ni siquiera pasó algo nuevo que uno pueda llegar a decir: "Uy! Mirá este personaje, no me lo esperaba!" o "Mirá, Christian tiene un auto nuevo!". Nada, simplemente las extensiones de Julia y el tic de Sean.Christian no se esfuerza mucho como padre, obvio, y todo así. Espero que mejore.
  • Fourtysomething

Nip/Tuck has clearly grown up. Not exactly in the mature sense of the word (since the show is still silly-as-hell), but it's obvious that entering its second season has given it an added confidence. Ryan Murphy is now unafraid to venture into deeper, more character-driven storylines, and it's great to see every member of the cast get some great material to work with in this season premiere.

Vanessa Redgrave puts in a tour de force of a performance as Julia's icy, shameless mother Erica Noughton. The scenes featuring real-life mother and daughter sparkle with fun and humor, especially the scene at the gym, where Erica hints that she had sex with Christian and then proceeds to flash her own daughter. Both moments make Julia unsurprisingly disgusted. Erica's a hilarious character, and her interaction with all three principal cast members produces some of the episode's best scenes.

The episode's subplot was devastating. Romy Rosemont put in a brutal performance as Libby Zucker, a woman who hit middle-age and gave up on attempting to make her life better, which resulted in a gun going off in her face. As the episode goes on, we learn that Libby was shot by her best friend in a suicide pact gone badly wrong. The scene where we see the terrifying event was beautifully shot, with Rosemont and Chris Diamantopoulos aiming guns at each other, against a stark white background. Diamontopoulos brings some sympathy toward what, through a series of events, has become somebody very unlikable. He wasn't scared about shooting Libby, and then abandoned her when she needed him most. The fatal ending to the story was truly shocking, but it was annoying that it was left open-ended, and the audience left in the dark over what happened to Libby.

Age plays an important part in the episode, with both Sean and Christian hitting a brick wall as they hit 40. Sean is experiencing a mid-life crisis, angry over his wrinkles, sagging butt and lack of drive. This is all made worse by his "yips" (spasms in the hand), which put the whole practice in jeopardy. The scene with Christian at the bar was both funny and sad, with a woman ridiculing his age and his old-fashioned flirting techniques, before running off with an annoying guy ten years younger than him.

The Wilber storyline continued, with Gina actually making some sense this time around. Christian can't act like a kid, and have a kid too. His affair with the nanny was embarrassing, but it was great that at the end of the episode he realized that he needs to put Wilber before his sex life.

A perfect season premiere featuring four excellently-written storylines which cross each other in unexpected ways. When first aired, Erica Noughton promised great things for season two. We had no idea how amazing this year would eventually become...

Director: Ryan Murphy
    Writer: Ryan Murphy
    Rating: A+
  • "It took almost dying for me to realize that aging isn\'t a curse. It\'s a privilege.\"

Aging was definitely the main theme of tonight’s episode; which I thought was a pretty suitable topic for a season premiere.

Sean got diagnosed with the yips today. The yips are, \"other then the sound a dog makes\", basically a condition when a person’s hand twitches because of anxiety or pressure the person is putting on himself. Sean\'s are probably a result of an anxiety of aging plus the pressures he puts on himself every day at his job. Sean reminded Christian many times in this episode that the both of them were at their plateau in life, and that everything after this is just downhill. Sean\'s yips are causing him to not be able to perform surgery, which could prove to be quite problematic for McNamara/Troy if their more skilled surgeon can\'t operate.

I think Christian had every right to get mad at the nanny for feeding Wilbur cough medicine to make him sleepy. But really, what kind of nanny did he think he was getting when she slept with him during the interview? Christian is determined to not let fatherhood come in the way of his playboy life, but today both of his priorities collided. Gina did have somewhat of a point; Christian can\'t be a kid and raise one, although Gina\'s certainly not the best person to be dishing out advice on responsibility.

Again on the topic of aging, Christian got shot down for the first time because of his age. This rejection probably was part of the reason for his weakness that caused him to sleep with Erica Noughton, Julia\'s mother. That and the fact that she bares more then a passing resemblance to Julia, the women he lusts over most that he can\'t have.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Vanessa Regrave is wonderful as Julia\'s narcissistic mother. She, like her daughter Joely Richardson, is a wonderful addition to the cast and helps give the audience more insight into Julia as we are allowed to see what kind of mother she was raised by.

- Christian: \"The world is our oyster and we\'re going to suck that **** down with a champagne chaser.\"

- Libby Zucker was an interesting patient but did anyone else experience character whiplash? One minute she\'s dishing out deep quotes saying that aging is a privilege, and the next she\'s shooting her best friend saying she can\'t let him grown old. I\'m guessing her murder was more of a result of jealousy that she was loosing her friend.

- In other news Grace Santiago has evaporated into thin air, as there was not one mention of her in the episode and Valerie Cruz is no longer in the cast.

- Valerie Cruz exits and Roma Maffia takes up her stop as series regular. That deserves a double round of applause. Good choice Ryan Murphy (which for those still clueless, he is the creator of this show).

- Sean turned forty today and at the end of the episode it was Christian\'s birthday. Their birthdays can\'t be more then a week apart.

- Sean and Julia looked so happy together today. I hope it lasts.

- Gina: \"I don\'t want my child around cheap, common whores.\"

Christian: \"He\'s around you all the time. Oh correction, you\'re an expensive whore.\"

I knew they wouldn\'t stay friendly forever.

- It was a fun episode, but I was a little disappointed that many issues from last season weren\'t addressed such as Matt\'s hit and run. I guess the producers are saving that for later episodes.

- Sean: \"Do you have any other birthday surprises for me?\"

Julia: \"My mother\'s coming.\"

Liz: \"Surprise!\"

- Christian had a white cupcake and a black one in the final scene with Wilbur; which I thought was funny considering their two races.

- Sean not being able to blow out the candles quickly at his birthday, just helped illustrate his frustrations at growing old.

Final Rating: 2 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    You can find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com

• Men At 40 Written And Directed by Ryan Murphy

Some things ripen with age and while this is a statement that could be used for a show in a much later time, its quite appropriate for this opener as both our surgeons hit the big the 4-0 and go about their separate journeys with this peak.

The first five minutes of the premiere are dedicated to Sean’s birthday, which sees Christian acknowledging they’re no longer in their thirties and sampling their own merchandise is not only a way of keeping up but it’s actually expected of them too. Sean being Sean declines the botox gift from his best mate and pretends to be surprised at his 40th birthday party attended by everyone (the bigger shock would’ve been if they had all forgotten of course) and things kick into action but post-party, Sean begins to wonder whether his life really is great if there’s something not right after all.

Let’s take a look from when we met in the “Pilot” – him and Julia were on the rocks big time, he didn’t have any real bond with Matt and he was tired of being forced to morally compromise his position by the likes of Escobar Gallardo as well as constantly cleaning up Christian’s mess. A year and a half later (almost), he has sustained better relationships with both his wife and son (though once again, we barely see anything of Matt in the premiere). Both him and Julia seem to be on a similar page and even have a laugh with each other too, so what exactly has brought on these “yips” of Sean’s?

His doctor believes despite Sean’s seemingly content nature, that it’s psychological which for me could probably been the stress of turning forty (he almost puts his patients at risk with his condition) and feeling that now he’s at the top of his game, he could be put out to pasture.

As the episode opened with Sean’s birthday blues, Christian for all his arrogant swagger and self-determination also felt the strife of getting older. Let’s take a look – his love/hate relationship with Gina (I have made it clear how much I enjoy these two squabbling like kids, right?) continues to be tested even more with the impact of Wilbur’s presence. Both are usually irresponsible people who now will have to be forced to behave like adults for Wilbur’s sake. Yup, Gina has to be a competent mother as well to a child who she still has no idea of who the biological father is and despite her disapproval, she does need Christian. Although it has yet to be spelled out there’s always the inkling she wouldn’t cope as well as a single parent but like a certain desperate housewife, she should lay off the mommy card.

She did have a point with castigating Christian for him strictly hiring a nanny who spent more catering to Christian than Wilbur but if he doesn’t want to be held hostage by Gina or parenthood then he should hire staff he won’t want to bang. At least Christian fired the irresponsible bitch in the end for using cough syrup to quieten Wilbur, so it shows he does take or wants to take his new role seriously. Which is better than his seduction techniques in the hour as his attempts of charming the skirt off Nicole at the bar were lecherous and quite pathetic. However just like Sean, he does crave to be a better man, though not enough to ditch his playboy lifestyle. It’ll be fun to see if he can balance both but already we’re intriguing development from Christian.

Meanwhile Julia had her own shit to deal with too with the arrival of her mother played by Joely Richardson’s real life mom, Vanessa Redgrave. To say the apple doesn’t fall from the tree may be underselling it but they are striking similarities to Julia and Erica, which are enough to convince you to believe why Christian would sleep with her and why Julia doesn’t particularly care for her mom.

On first inspection, Erica is narcissistic, self-pitying and involved and throughout her debut, not exactly endearing. A child psychologist who once prized her successful endeavours on her smarts, now feels the need to resort to a facelift to flog her books, although she doesn’t particularly care for Sean, she insists he does the surgery before it got passed off to Christian and Erica revels all too much in telling her daughter she bedded the dishy doc.

This again brings up the unresolved tension towards Christian and Julia but unfortunately, bugger all is done with it in any, just Julia shouting at Christian to grow up, stop trying to hurt her and move on and Christian saying he doesn’t want to get between her and Sean. In fact this particular angle was the episode’s weakest link and Erica’s presence annoyed me more than it did Julia. Still though if her presence allows more exploration and depth in Julia’s psyche I’m all for that and while you could scream stunt casting, Vanessa Redgrave is great in the role of Erica.

Also in “Erica Noughton”

Patient of the week: Libby Zucker needed another operation on her face after a suicide pact with her best friend, Chad Myers went wrong. Keeping in touch with complexities of growing older, Libby kills Chad after he tells her he’s finally found happiness and she can’t take it.

Christian: “Tell me what you don’t like about yourself”
    Sean: “You know what? Nothing”.

Julia (to Sean): “My mother is coming to stay”
    Liz: “Surprise”.

This episode didn’t have a teaser. We got a reprise from last season, then the opening credits and everything else. How strange.

Julia: “What happened to women should wear their wrinkles like a badge of honour?”
    Erica: “That worked when I was naïve and firm enough to shove my braless tits in the faces of all those patriarchal Freudians”.

Roma Maffia (Liz Cruz) was finally made a regular while Valerie Cruz is gone. Pity the writers didn’t at least explain Grace’s absence.

Nicole (to Christian): “Look you’re cool but I have a real daddy and I don’t want another one”.

Gina: “I don’t want my child around cheap whores”
    Christian: “He’s around you all the time. Oh correction, you’re an expensive whore”.

Was it me or was Christian’s office finally remade? It looked different from last time it was seen.

Erica: “Why do you have a subconscious desire to harm me?”
    Sean: “I assure you Erica, any desire to harm you is conscious”.

Erica’s facelift was the first full on one we’ve seen.

We got no chronological references from the first season finale. How much time has passed since “Escobar Gallardo”?

Julia (re Erica/Christian): “It’s not funny Sean”
    Sean: “I’m sorry but the pictures of those two vain little peas in their self-absorbed pods pumping away, I think it’s hilarious”.

Christian (to Sean): “Men age in society and say we’ve become more rugged and women age and they just become old. It’s sad”.

Standout music in this episode was “So Nice” by Bebel Gilberto, “I Wish” by Stevie Wonder, “Lovegirl” by Teena Marie and “Vibrate” by Rufus Wainwright.

When I first saw this episode, I wasn’t totally impressed with it but after a couple of more viewings, it really grew on me and I think Ryan Murphy found a nice way of easing us into what will be an amazing second year.

• "Age isnt a curse, it's a privelige". After much thought and consideration Sean soon starts to realize this, as along with Christian, he turns 40...

"Tell me, what don't you like about yourself?"

Words we've become accustomed to over the last thirteen episodes, it's a question we automatically relate to Nip/Tuck. Interesting however, the situation this time is different, and roles are reversed as Sean McNamara is at the end of the question, and knowing he's becoming 40, struggles for an answer.

The opening scene of the episode is a great way to break us back into Nip/Tuck, and early on sets up some plots for the coming season. Sean confidently announces he's happy, his marriage his great, children are healthy, and he's at the top of his game. It's recap dialouge but it works, as it helps you remember what has happened and also provides newbies with some prior knowledge. The light dialouge between Sean and Christian is also highly entertaining to watch, and reminds you of why exactly you love the programme: the chemistry between the two surgeons.

A lot has changed since Season 1 however. Since Merril Bobolit went out of business McNamara-Troy are now the number 1 plastic surgeons in Miami. Furthermore Christian is now a father, and interestingly, there's a new character: Erica Noughton, Julia's mother. Played by Vanessa Redgrave, Erica did a good job of establishing herself as a new regular in such little time, and also showed she has a lot of history with both McNamara AND Troy. Her storylines and scenes over the next few episodes along with her possible meddling shall be interesting. Another story set up early is Sean's "yips". The cause of "anxiety over expectation", Sean's nervous twitch makes him unable to operate, and a liability to McNamara-Troy. Like Erica's arrival, this is one story that should hopefully be interesting once it has developed a little more.

And so to the downfall of the episode: the patient. Disgusting in face and myself uninterested in her back story meant she was without a doubt the downfall of the episode. Thankfully her story is explained throughout the episode, but as it was so much of a chore to watch, I dont think it's worth mentioning. Plus she never returns, making her a one-time-episode bore.

The theme of the episode was undoubtedly aging. Sean's 40th birthday, Erica wanting a facelift to look younger, Christian being a dad, and even the patient's backstory all tie together under the theme of "aging". With Nip/Tuck now being in it's second series it's somewhat ironic, but like the future plotlines, it will be interesting to see how Nip/Tuck as a show can grow.

Nip/Tuck is now 2 years old!
  • A good set up for the stellar second season. Episode summary in review.

Nip/Tuck exploded in its volatile first season. It proved that the fledgling FX network could compete with the hottest cable networks regarding quality original edgy programming. Since that season had aired, the pop-culture landscape would change dramatically regarding what is indecent. Janet Jackson's stunt at the Super Bowl sent many networks running for cover at the risk of high FCC fines. Fans feared that graphic and vivid shows like Nip/Tuck would go soft. Nip/Tuck would lose either way, so they decided to push the boundaries even further. This season turned out to be even more fearless than its predecessor was, but it still was dramatically defendable.

Last season started with Sean's mid-life crisis. Murphy escalates the drama this season by featuring both leading men having mid-life crisis. Both are about to hit a major age, forty, which triggers many feelings of misspent life and the dread over age. Their careers are a major cause behind it, since they "sell youth for a living". Some blame the plastic surgery industry for worsening people's insecurity about their bodies. Christian and Sean have been able to avoid it until now.

Though Sean's life is good, he is growing insecure about his looks. Checking out his reflection in the toaster oven, Christian surprises him. They talk about Sean's 40th birthday and the difficulty in hiding age. Christian gives him a shot of Botox as a present, but Sean refuses. Sean claims that he would rather age gracefully with help from a healthy lifestyle instead of plastic surgery. It's ironic that he is denying himself what he does for hundreds of people. Christian embraces it, believing that it goes with the job, like a personal trainer staying fit.

Later that night, everyone (except for Grace, who came down with Chuck Cunningham syndrome late last season) greets him for "surprise" birthday party. This confirms what Sean had said, that his life is going along very well. Everyone is smiling, cracking jokes and enjoying themselves. It also serves as a good reminder of how everyone was at the end of last season, which is interesting to watch after seeing what everyone undergoes this season.

During the party, Julia tells Sean that her mother, Erica, will be coming. Erica believes that Julia has excluded her from their family. Sean isn't worried about her. She doesn't bother him, so he'll serve as the intermediary. We also learn that she is an accomplished writer and that Christian had a thing for her, which he quickly skirted away from after he said it.

In the wake of the FCC crackdowns, worrying that Nip/Tuck would go soft had some weight. They proved me wrong. Within minutes of the party, Gina takes Christian aside and tells him to milk her so it won't stain her blouse. She takes off her blouse and Christian remarks about how big they've gotten because of lactation. He doesn't want to do it, but she plays the Wilbur card. If she isn't milked, then the baby could get sick. He literally sucks it up to his chagrin.

Another great music choice, Stevie Wonder's "I Wish" plays, which sums up how Sean is feeling. As he reaches this age milestone, he yearns to get what he had when he was younger. In this case, it is his youthful appearance, but soon he sees that there may be more to aging than he thought. Cutting the cake, Sean notices his hand twitch slightly. No one else sees it, but Sean grows increasingly worried about the toll aging is taking on him. After the party Sean looks at his naked body, noticing some flab and wrinkles. He decides to inject the Botox after all.

The doctors consult Libby Zucker. At first, we don't see for what she in there. She tells them that while celebrating her 34th birthday, she and her close gay friend Chad got extremely drunk and got depressed about failed dreams and age. After saying half heartedly that she should kill herself since the peak is over, she pulled out her gun. It accidentally went off, leaving half her face horribly disfigured. It's clearly not going to be an easy process for her. It'll probably take several surgeries to correct it, but she doesn't care. She's tired of kids crying when they look at her.

Julia's mom arrives and asks for a facelift. Sean and Julia are confused, as she has always been confident about her wrinkles. Unfortunately, Erica knows that sex sells and that she can't use the same jacket cover photo she used when she was forty-one. She is a woman in a man's profession and the only way she can survive is to look the way she did during her prime.

Erica represents everything Julia wishes she was but wasn't. She didn't sacrifice her career for family and is extremely successful. Having her around obnoxiously reinforces this notion to Julia. She is open and frank, describing the photographer's erection when her jacket photo was taken. However, she is flawed, as her husband left her for a younger woman, further worsening this funk over her age.

While they're prepping for Libby's surgery, they discuss the game Libby played before shooting herself. Who has achieved their life goals later in life? Christian remains optimistic that they will. Their business is booming without Bobolit in the picture. He also plans to fully enjoy his playboy lifestyle, aspiring to sleep with "twice as many mamazons" in his forties. Wilbur doesn't stand to interfere. A nanny will help Christian. This is much different from the Christian we saw at the end of the first season, however we will see that one return later in the hour.

Libby's surgery is hard to watch. It is a series of graphic removals and replacements of the bolts to keep her skull together. Also, skin on her arms is sliced off and grafted to her face. Sean also employs micro laser surgery to work on her jaw line. Later, his arm jumps slightly when he yields a scalpel. After surgery in the break room, he looks at his hand in horror.

Sean's concern causes him to visit his neurologist friend. After CAT scans and other tests, the doctor diagnoses Sean with the Yips, a nervous tick that's psychological in origin. It primarily affects those who are in their prime. Sean doesn't inform Christian, but rather self medicates. When Christian finds out, he is furious, but Sean maintains that only he could handle complex microsurgery like the type done on Libby. Sean decides to self-medicate.

Christian's job interview consists of having sex with the applicant while looking over her qualifications. Now that is true multitasking. The only problem comes when she calls him "daddy". While he wants to enjoy his wild lifestyle, it's not as easy to avoid his current responsibility. When Gina finds out, she has the nanny fired and takes Wilbur back to her home. Later, as he's sleeping with the rehired nanny, Wilbur starts crying. To get him to sleep, the nanny dips his pacifier in a cold medicine bottle. Appalled, Christian's paternal nature overrules his need to have fun. Like Gina reprimanded, he can't raise Wilbur if he still acts like a child.

Unlike other experiences, a twenty-five year old woman rejects Christian's advances. Meanwhile, Sean tells Erica that he's diverting her surgery to Christian, not saying why. Christian and Erica meet in private, where she opens about her desire to be desired. Both characters are hurting from being rejected because of their age. Because of that, they sleep together. This is reminiscent of when Sophia Lopez and Liz had sex. On soaps, it's common for people to sleep together out of loneliness to dull the pain that comes from it.

Sean helps Libby remove the bandages, revealing a face that looks better. She's unhappy about the progress so far, and it gets worse when she discovers that her gay friend has a date. He needs a break from the constant stay in hospital rooms. When he leaves, she tells Sean that her gunshot wound wasn't an accident. They had made a suicide pact, but she loved him too much to pull the trigger. Sean asks if she wished she was dead, but she doesn't. She believes that "aging is a privilege." It's an important message of the episode.

During their workout, Erica reveals that she slept with Christian. Julia is disgusted. Then Erica reveals her body to Julia, which only shocks her more. Though she has prevented some aging through exercise, she wants to be desirable throughout her body. Erica mentions that Christian was unable to look at her while they were doing it. Julia construes this as a subconscious way for Christian to have Julia because of their similar appearance. Later that night Sean laughs it off, but Julia can't. When Christian calls for help with Wilbur, she goes over, then scolds him for his action. Then she finds out that he slept with her at Sean and Julia's marriage.

Nip/Tuck's surgeries this season have escalated in their graphic nature. Libby's surgery is shocking, but Erica's is almost as gross. They slice into the top of her head, pealing the forehead skin off to allow them to pull it up. Whoever thought we'd see Vanessa Redgrave this way? After he forehead is stitched up, they proceed to her cheeks, sticking a long needle through the skin and pulling the cheeks up to an unnatural shape with a thread.

Chad finally admits to Libby that he is falling in love with the man he has been seeing. She can't stand to hear this. This is the dark side to the lighthearted straight girl-gay guy relationships we see on TV and in movies. Somehow, she believed that she would be with this man as if it would substitute as a husband. She kills him. This whole scene feels too contrived. How could she get a gun in the office? Also, the "aging is a privilege" attitude doesn't fit as well as the one obsessed with this man.

Later, Christian celebrates his own 40th birthday alone with Wilbur while Sean practices cutting on the cake. Christian hopes that he can be a good father as his birthday wish. Both of these people are dealing with their lives alone. Already their contentment with life is over. But this is only the beginning of another crazy ride the McNamaras and Christian will go through.

Going into a new season, Nip/Tuck had a lot of promise to fulfill. It was great, but it could've been merely a fluke. Thankfully, they didn't have any problem, taking the calm from the end of last season and destroying it with the introduction of Julia's mom, played by Joely Richardson's real life mother Vanessa Redgrave. This is only the beginning of their problems, which means that the best drama is yet to come.
  • Season 2 not a bad start

well,where do i start, i mean it's nice to know Christian doesn't change, let hope he does grow-up as episoide progress, within 5 minutes i was surpised/disguised by her asking him suck B-milk, i don't get why she doesn't bottle-feed him. i still can't beleve he did that. But no there really is no talent to what he does, interview baby-sitter, she was right if he wanted a serious baby-sitter he wouldn't ask her to it. Still at least he realise it's not too late to sack her, if that's not bad enough sleeping with Sean Wife Mother, so glad they didn't showed that, almost felt better when he blew his candle asking to be a better father. got to see if it last but chances not.

Psyco women who blew her face-off, surely easier way to commit suicide like jumping from a building, that guy was mad being with her, he actually blew her face off but she couldn't do it, well she did or not, we don't know. i hope we find out in the next episoide.
  • Does life really start at 40?

Welcome to the world of Nip/Tuck, Vanessa Redgrave. We're sure you'll enjoy your stay as we're enjoying it already.

Like mother, like daughter. Vanessa Redgrave has already brought so much to the show, as did Joely Richardson in the fantastic pilot episode. The character of Dr. Erica Noughton is so far a pretty interesting one. She comes to visit Julia with a favour to ask - she wants a facelift and she wants Sean to be the one with the scalpel. However, Christian ends up being the one using the scalpel - the scalpel in his pants that is. Fortunately, we don't see the actual scene where they "make love" (I put that in brackets because I imagine that would be an extremely painful scene for Julian McMahon to indure).

As you can imagine, Julia isn't too pleased. She tells Christian to "grow up." This episode is a very pivotal episode for Christian and is kind of based on him having to grow up. After all, Wilbur can't afford to have two sex addict parents and I can't see Gina getting rid of her nookie urge anytime soon. At the end of the day, sex is a drug and the pair are both licensed dealers. Especially when your 39-year-old dada is sucking breastmilk from your mum. Euw!

Christian encourages Sean to get some botox, but
    he sees the not-so-nice side effect when his botox results in him getting dissed by the hot black mama in the club (do you think that's what the writers put her name as in the script?). But that doesn't stop our lovely Christian getting some when he hires a nanny and then sleeps with her too. Then the nanny turns out to be a druggie and Christian is back to square one.

In this episode, Sean is turning 40. So much for life starts at 40, Sean is starting to feel like a miserable old git. His birthday party arrives, and he can't bring himself to blow out the candles quickly. The news that Erica is in town seems to age him quite a bit.

Sean later discover that he has the yips. I'm not quite sure what the yips is, so I didn't really know how to react to that. But I'm guessing it may have something to do with his hands after he refuses to work on Erica's face.

One face he does operate on is that of a woman who took a bullet to the face. She and her gay best mate, Chad, had made a pact to kill each other. However, the woman didn't have enough courage to pull the trigger. Chad did. I feel guilty thinking that Chad was actually quite good-looking, because he made that woman's face absolutely horrifying. Well done, make-up crew for giving me a positively horrific nightmare. I salute you. But however horrifying her face was, the story was sadder. This is one of the few shows which delves really deep into the lives of those one-time guest stars and the suicidal Will & Grace consult was quite interesting.

QUOTE OF THE EPISODE:
    "My mother's in town." - Julia
    I can't remember what Liz exactly said after it, but it had me laughing out loud. I love Liz.

Rating: 9.8 out of 10. The woman's face kinda ruined it.

Drs. Troy and McNamara, it's delightful to have you back.