Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

5.01 "Carly Summers" Episode Discussion

slim324k

[61]Nov 1, 2007
    • level: 12
    Just scanning through all the posts, it seems like you all forget it's only ONE episode in to the season. I mean I agree it was a bit too clumsy for the series but hey, you film something with Hollywood influences that's what you're going to get. I said hold off the criticism at least until mid-season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

crimsonmiss

[62]Nov 1, 2007
    • level: 3
    I thought it was a great premiere episode. I think it's set things up nicely for this season. The role reversal for Sean and Christian, the power addiction theme, their struggle in L.A., etc. It was funny and dark. I still miss Michelle, but it was a great start for the season.

countreebreeze

[63]Nov 1, 2007
    • level: 4
    NoNamesOpen wrote:
    Just wondering... am I the only one who noticed McMahon's Aussie accent sneak out more than once in the episode (most notably when he's talking to the producer in the golf cart)? Or am I just dumb for not having heard it in earlier episodes?

i noticed the same thing o.O it was just really obvious then...

and LOL @ "look, there's Achilles.... get it?"

dezigner4web

[64]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 17

slim324k wrote:
    Just scanning through all the posts, it seems like you all forget it's only ONE episode in to the season. I mean I agree it was a bit too clumsy for the series but hey, you film something with Hollywood influences that's what you're going to get. I said hold off the criticism at least until mid-season.

I agree.

They had allot of ground to cover taking S & C out of Miami and setting up their whole new lifestyle and careers. I think if they would have held off of the Tia Carrere (affliction queen) for a later date and added some hotter sexual encounter to keep in the flavor of N/T it would have felt a little more like N/T hour.

And now thinking more about the episode, I dont think I liked the hair plugs on C and making him look bad in front of the cameras. I'm just not feeling comfortable seeing C as anything other than a hot hottie. And wouldn't S have known that those plugs would have shown on camera? Common, that's kinda their speciality to know those things, healing times and how procedures will look at various timeline stages.

Yeah. A little dissapointed. But I will be back next week, you can bet that.

Edited on 11/02/2007 4:18am

ladywindermere

[65]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 10

countreebreeze wrote:
    NoNamesOpen wrote:
    Just wondering... am I the only one who noticed McMahon's Aussie accent sneak out more than once in the episode (most notably when he's talking to the producer in the golf cart)? Or am I just dumb for not having heard it in earlier episodes?
    i noticed the same thing o.O it was just really obvious then... and LOL @ "look, there's Achilles.... get it?"

I noticed there was something weird in how he spoke in this episode, I just couldn't figure out what it was until now!!

-I like that now is Sean the one in the spotlight

-playing hoops in the studio was way too strange(I could have seen them playing office-golf)

-I'm pretty sure Wilbur is mute

-the scene when they prepare to go out was way too long

-loved the show in the show: SO OVER THE TOP!!

-I can totally see Sean getting involved with the dominatrix

I like where it's going the show, even if I'll miss the whole "threesome" thing with Julia!

krisi1021

[66]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 11

I LOVED this episode!

It was fresh, and unlike anything done by Nip/Tuck before ... it was normal. Some might think that's bad, but I think it'll work in their favor. Everything is reversed ... I mean, Christian actually having to work to get his own time in the spotlight, and even then falling short. Sean being the star of everything.
    I see Sean getting involved with the dominitrix as well ... should be interesting to see him in that sort of situation.
    I'm not sure if I like, or trust for that matter, the publicist. She's a tad sketchy to me.
    Anyway, I look forward to this season. I can't wait to see what's in store.

SeppukkuKensei

[67]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 2
    I enjoyed the first episode. immensely. It shows potential for better upcoming episodes. If nobody was paying attention, A couple years back McNamara/Troy made the cover of OUT mag(for homosexuals) as the idealistic couple. The writers are lampooning that every chance they get. It's true these guys love each other, but not like that. Everyone could enjoy the show, or gripe about it until the next few eps pop up.

slim324k

[68]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 12
    I gave it high marks mainly because I waited so long and was not ENTIRELY disappointed. But looking at future previews I know it'll pick up so think we can let this one slide as 'over-hype.'

San7799

[69]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 5

I loved this season opener. Best of all,methinks, was how, early on,Christian is doing all the pressuring /persuading in favor of staying in LA arguing to Sean that it was their time to really shine and then it's Sean that gains the town's acceptance (and winds up doing all the "shining") This I enjoyed, because although I'm quite fond of Christian, I ADORE Sean.Christian can't deal with Sean excelling on his own. He more or less made a comment to this effect during their basketball scrimmage (something about always being dominant) although he probably thought he said it jokingly.

Probably Christian would be most content with Sean silently in the background, being passive, supportive, there to mother him (and Wilbur). Wasn't that scene where C came down with that scalp infection (follicle-itis? folitis? whatever it was..I can't recall..) and Sean tended to him a pretty apt illustration of how Sean assumes the nurturer role (it was pretty sweet, really).

Another scene I dug was Sean & Christian prepping to go out to the clubs. I know it was a pretty cliche sort of montage, but I enjoyed it just the same. Isooo concur with the sage gentlemen of ZZ Top : every girl *IS* crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man! Sure they went through some dud outfits, but when they left home they were looking fine and GQ-ready.

Y'know what else islooking mighty sharp-- the new McNamara-Troy offices. VERY NICE. No wonder the fellahs are in hock!!

I realize Nip /Tuck has always been big on guest stars (second only to The Love Boat) but didn't it seem like they jammed this episode to max guest star capacity?Don't get me wrong,I did enjoy it. I just don't want the Nip/Tuck gang to to think they have to try so hard.

Oh, and it would be remiss of me to not mention my FAAAVE bit of dialogue: "I'll be there in 10. . . "

HAAA!

San7799

[70]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 5
    Oh, another stand out scene I forgot to mention-- the post-coital lipstick scrawling Christian did on Carly's picture. It was certainly no shocker to see Christian be so cutthroat. For me it was Zuniga's acting that made that scene stellar. It was so very sad-- the defeated way her head drooped down at the end of that scene.

dezigner4web

[71]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 17

San7799 wrote:
    Oh, another stand out scene I forgot to mention-- the post-coital lipstick scrawling Christian did on Carly's picture. It was certainly no shocker to see Christian be so cutthroat. For me it was Zuniga's acting that made that scene stellar. It was so very sad-- the defeated way her head drooped down at the end of that scene.

Yeah. I agree. It reminded me of the bag chick, what was her name? Abby?

Totally reminded me of when he marked her up.

RebeccaDeWinter

[72]Nov 3, 2007
    • level: 1
    Regarding your comment about the scene where they got dressed up to go out was way too long... I just wondered if anyone noticed that it was a definate copy of "American Gigolo." The scene of the admiration of the expensive men's clothing was the same. Then they meet Lauren Hutton! LOL Perfect, Ryan Murphy, perfect. Also, it previews the 'American Gigolo' slide that Christian is going down...

tjaman

[73]Nov 3, 2007
    • level: 32
    I did not notice that, but welcome to the forum! Great name, btw.

RebeccaDeWinter

[74]Nov 3, 2007
    Thanks for the welcome. Glad you caught the reference. I understand Elizabeth Hurley used to check into hotels under that name too.

JaceJones

[75]Nov 3, 2007
    • level: 8
    I don't understand the Lauren Hutton part.

RebeccaDeWinter

[76]Nov 3, 2007
    Richard Gere gets dressed to Smokey Robinson's "The Love I Saw in You Was Just A Mirage," and he goes through his Rodeo Drive suits, puts them on the bed, with the ties, mixes & matches, then goes to the Beverly Hills Hotel's Polo Lounge for drinks & meet Lauren Hutton.

The boys did the tv version.

BabyKitten199

[77]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 7
    RebeccaDeWinter wrote:
    Richard Gere gets dressed to Smokey Robinson's "The Love I Saw in You Was Just A Mirage," and he goes through his Rodeo Drive suits, puts them on the bed, with the ties, mixes & matches, then goes to the Beverly Hills Hotel's Polo Lounge for drinks & meet Lauren Hutton.

The boys did the tv version.

Good eye, nice catch!!! I didn't remember that from the movie until you mentioned it & then it totally came back to me!!!

fpietri

[78]Nov 4, 2007
    While I agree that the episode wasn't as stellar as the past "OMFG, what!? what's going to happen next week!" feel Nip/Tuck has had, I didn't think it was terrible either. I know they had a lot to cover, which could explain why it was slow, but anyone else notice that unlike some of the other premere episodes, this one wasn't longer. Season 1 and I believe a couple others had hour and a half long premeres so I feel like they could have fit in more "opener" stuff and still made the episode kick ass. I feel like some of what's missing is the rest of the cast, like them or not, there wasn't the random array of f'ed up storylines so the S and C storyline gets a little old by the end of the episode. I can't wait till kimber comes back in.

matzaa

[79]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 25
    Damn it!! I've missed it and now I can't find it on the internet. God is punishing me so bad

tjaman

[80]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 32
    They should be running it again tonight ...