Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

5.07 "Dr. Joshua Lee" Episode Discussion

tjaman

[21]Dec 11, 2007
    • level: 32
    This was an outstanding episode, and it seemed like everything I've just been begging for.

Eden showed her true colors, but it didn't matter, because Sean was going to smack into a wall of his own mortality anyway. Aiden was really cool to him, tho. It feels like megadoses of vitamins wouldn't bring on any sort of heart issue, but as C said, it wasn't a heart attack -- it was an adverse reaction to the Ecstasy.

I loved that, btw: "There's an age limit on this stuff, like listening to Fallout Boy." Nice.

Y'know, Sean's only four years older than I am (I wonder if that's also true of Dylan). And yeah, there's age, but everyone looks really good for their age.

Except for Julia, who occasionally, in the wrong lighting, looks like the Cryptkeeper.

Her and Olivia's storyline was pretty exciting, although a little random. Instead of the attack bringing them closer together, tho, we barely saw them together after the attack. Which is interesting. While Olivia saw Julia stand up for herself like a big tough grrl, Julia saw Olivia shrink into herself.

It drove her to get a gun (paging Dr. Freud) and to confront Eden and to run to Sean. Oh, wait, no. She ran to Christian.

Hm. Was he just the last timber she'd shivered? Or was she so disgusted by Sean's liaison that he'd truly dropped off her radar?

And I haven't even mentioned the Bobbsey twins yet.

It's amazing Kimber and Matt got through the door, the balls they had coming to C&S. Kimber's so delightfully manipulative. I wonder if she was lying to Matt or to Christian about where Jemma is exactly.

Matt's little meth lab would've been more frightening except for the -- as has been pointed out on numerous occasions -- terrifically ill-conceived S4 installment "Conor McNamara 2026." In which Matt was still very much alive.

So someone will certainly be fishing him out of the pool in the nick of time. Either that or he's dead and, as I've come to suspect, S4 never really happened.

And I love, love, love the alien abduction storyline. Although it seems like someone would have to show some sort of I.D. in a situation like that, if they've mastered interstellar travel they can doctor a driver's license.

Of course, if it was really a perfectly ordinary, perfectly terrestrial Wanderguard chip, it'd have all sorts of writing on it, so that was weird as well. And the daughter coming in at the end? Schpooooky.

He seemed very interesting, tho. Great subplot. And great Dante's inferno party. Just some really good visuals with this one.

And oh yeah, for the first time in weeks: Well done, Murph. Well freeqin' done.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LostSux

[22]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 6
    This episode was hilarious. Not suprising. I was so sure that the scene before the opening credits was a dream. Oh well. Small continuity error: Sean turned 40 at the second season premiere. Now, at least three and a half years later, he's 42? So does Eden no longer have a hymen?
    Edited on 12/12/2007 12:37am

SweetThickness

[23]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 8
    Did anyone notice Kimber grimace in pain like twice when she was packing to leave Matt? I wonder what is wrong with her? She turned her back and made a pain face and when she left the room she sort of stumbled in pain. What was that all about?

JeffreyKresse

[24]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 9
    she felt bad for what she was doing to him.

trrom

[25]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 2
    lThis episode was awesome. I loved it. I'm wondering if Julia's new gun and Shawn being against her getting it, if that will play out in a future episode. Perhaps her new purchase will make a twist in the plot to come. Oh and that bit about "I don't date guys with grey pubes"....was priceless....My husband and I L.O.A.O...
    Edited on 12/12/2007 8:26am

zachaag

[26]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 7
    yeah this episode was the best of the season imo. oh matt, you so crazy. how many times are you going to mess up and come running to your daddies? Although I initially agreed Christian treatment, I have decided the best thing is just to lock matt in a cage the rest of his life.

The alien subplot thing is interesting, but i hope they twist it where it doesnt actually invove aliens. That would be a little ridiculous. And sean... we have been down this road before. I liked his interactions with Aiden and of course him sleeping with eden was inevitable. I thought it was funny when christian said he was a bad influence. sounds like someone is jealous they didnt get to go to the fun hollywood party 18 year old girls running around. quick question, are sean and carly over? i know they had a fight after the older couple club thing, but she hasnt been mentioned at all. Or is that why sean called his thing with Eden "kind of an affair"?

tguedry82

[27]Dec 12, 2007

trrom wrote:
    lThis episode was awesome. I loved it. I'm wondering if Julia's new gun and Shawn being against her getting it, if that will play out in a future episode. Perhaps her new purchase will make a twist in the plot to come. Oh and that bit about "I don't date guys with grey pubes"....was priceless....My husband and I L.O.A.O...

I think it will.I've heard rumors of a main character getting killed offthis season. Even though someone had mentioned earlier that with the "Conor 2026", that Matt was still alive, so was almost everyone else. See, I'm going to guess that Annie is going to kill herself possibly, with all her emotional body image stuff going on. Even if Eden stopped messing with her, that child's damage is pretty far gone. Otherwise, i have no idea who it might be. I could see it being Kimber, because she was having those weird pains before she left Matt (and I highly doubt it was sympathy or sadness pain...she's a cold wench! Perhaps she's done 1 too many drugs/sexcapades...

Edited on 12/12/2007 11:19am

charm3dkatie

[28]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 4

Where to start? First of all, this is hands-down the best episode of the season. The storylines were more believable. The acting was better. The interactions between characters was totally believable. And overall, the settings and locations were far more visually interesting.

So Sean finally took the plunge with Eden and you have to love that that storyline is LADEN with allusions to the Bible, with "Eden" being reference to the forbidden fruit and all. Eden doesn't date guys with grey pubes? Well, I was under the impression that she was a clean teen and didn't date (or at least, have sex with) any guys. What happened to the fact that her horseback riding was the cause of her broken hymen?

Matt and Kimber have had issues from day one. Matt's a pretty messed up guy. Had a girlfriend who turned lesbian, had a love affair with a transexual, fell in love with a Neo Nazi and then nearly got his little Matt chopped off, and now he's in love with a crackhead. Way to go, buddy. I was really hoping that he and Kimber would split and he would take Jenna, and that would be that. I really like that Christian isn't buying the whole "poor me" routine from either Kimber or Matt, so there's a welcome change.

Julia and Olivia's escapade with the not-so-creepy hijacker was kind of unrealistic, especially how he was so complacent with Julia verbally fighting back. Seems to me that if he really wanted to see some girl-on-girl action, he could've been more forceful. So Julia was like a rock and Olivia, normally calm and collected, was the one to fall apart. I liked that.

Christian has sort of gotten a lot more mellow recently. Aside from his outburst at Matt, I was half anticipating a hump and dump on Kimber and then to see him in a bar with 18-year-old boobs thrust in his face to forget about Kimber... again. And his "your face looks like a fraternity couch" made me laugh aloud. And how about taking Julia to bed? I like where this is going because I've wanted to see them together for a LONG time.

All in all, I really liked this episode. In fact, I watched it again right after the first one. (Mainly because I thought I saw Dr. Sean's "stethoscope" in the heart attack scene, but I guess mine eyes did deceive me!) And I love the irony in next week's episode: Julia is having a hard time coming out of the closet but has no problem getting back in. :p

Well done, Mr. Murphy!

rdefir

[29]Dec 12, 2007

Ok my 2 cents. First off, Great Episode! One thats been a few weeks coming if you ask me.Eden really fooled me though with your sympathetic kiss in the last episode, I was under the impression that she was digging on Sean. I nailed the "daddy complex" though. Then she busts out with "it was a get it out of our system screw" (great line btw). Aiden is great, he may be a bit wild but seems to really like Sean and it would be nice for Sean to have a friend that is not hell bent of tagging everything he hits! Needless to say, i'm not happy about the Christian and Julia hook up. I know that lots of folks love it but to me its utterly a crappy thing to do to your best friend! Really had hoped he had learned his lesson in the past. OH WELL!! Julia, where do I start with Julia. How bout, I've never liked her from the begining! There i said it! for most of the first 2 seasons she cryied and screamed every dang time she was on camera, i thought she had a cry and scream disorder!! She was only tolerable when she worked at that spa in S3 i think? no matter. She needs to move her ass back to NYC and be a "featured" on the phone character. Also IMO Sean will not find Julia i that closet. Its to set up for it to come to pass, C will weasle out of it i'm sure. Mark my words i want him to find her in there and just get this $hit out in the open! I'm TIRED OF THIS SNEAKING AROUND CRAP!!!

tjaman

[30]Dec 12, 2007
    Annie was still alive and not-at-all well and banging a bisexual in the 2026 eppy.

Dr_Chaos_Fox

[31]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 3
    charm3dkatie wrote:
    What happened to the fact that her horseback riding was the cause of her broken hymen?
    I'm sure nonthing.

She's implied before that she's been taking it up the ass and giving out blowjobs like they were candy.

:
    And how about taking Julia to bed? I like where this is going because I've wanted to see them together for a LONG time.

Christian was golden this episode, I wanted to stand up and cheer when he threw the drink at Matt. After spending years watching another TV brat get coddled (AJ Soprano), I really loved this. Maybe theres such a thing as too much tough love but after all the stupid crap he's put himself through when he knows better and has a daughter to take care of, he deserved that.

I do feel sorry for Christian in a bizzare way becuase I do think Julia is using him, she's trying to force this gay lifestyle on herself thats she's not really a part of and she's using him as a release.

Sadly, I don't think this is about her feelings for Christian as much as it is what she needs from him.

Edited on 12/12/2007 4:10pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Truman_Burbank

[32]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 12
    tjaman wrote:
    Y'know, Sean's only four years older than I am (I wonder if that's also true of Dylan). And yeah, there's age, but everyone looks really good for their age.

Dylan Walsh is 44. I had to laugh when Aidan said he was 38. Bradley Cooper is only 32 and doesn't really look older than 30.

tjaman wrote:
    Matt's little meth lab would've been more frightening except for the -- as has been pointed out on numerous occasions -- terrifically ill-conceived S4 installment "Conor McNamara 2026." In which Matt was still very much alive.

So someone will certainly be fishing him out of the pool in the nick of time. Either that or he's dead and, as I've come to suspect, S4 never really happened.

I was so rooting for a huge explosion to happen and for Matt to finally disappear from the show. I don't even care about the "Conor McNamara, 2026" continuity issue. I already pretend that it never happened anyway, so it's fine by me.

kapaue

[33]Dec 12, 2007
    Great episode.
    But.... "Total Eclipse of the Heart"? I mean... c'mon!

tjaman

[34]Dec 12, 2007
    I thought it fit perfectly, myself. * shrug *

lostcy

[35]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 20
    what an episode,and what an ending!
    i loved it,the best of 5th season so far..!so many things happened that kept me tensed!

can't wait for the next one..!

torque4015

[36]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 18
    Why doesn't Matt just blow his brains out and get it over with. He could do that line fromA Clockwork Orange "What I have to do is end it all blast off forever out of this wicked cruel world". I hope that he takes Kimber with him she gets him hooked on drugs then dumps him. Troy was rightMatt needs to grow up and find a normal woman for a change. Wait a minute I take that back in the Nip/Tuck world there's no such thing as normal.

ilovedrcox

[37]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 10

This episode was intriguing from the get-go.. LOVED IT!

And the ending rocked-- I cannot wait til next week's episode to see what happens!

vinyldj0619

[38]Dec 14, 2007
    Yeah for real. I know Matt had some issues ie Meth Head, but when he hit Kimber I thought she was going to swing back.

vinyldj0619

[39]Dec 14, 2007
    I agree Julia normally is a whiney little b*tch, but I give her some seroius credit for handling the robber like a trooper. Olivia on the other hand was a mess. Julia get an 10 on the tough broad scal.

ashaikh148

[40]Dec 14, 2007
    • level: 3

I can't believe so many people liked this episode. I was hopeful for this season of nip/tuck until these last two episodes. There was just so much wrong with them. First off I know this has been mentioned before but no one seems upset with the fact that we were sold Eden as a virgin who only has oral and anul sex and then within one episode her and Shawn are clearly having sex without any explination as to whether Eden decided to let Shawn be her first or even showing him convincing her to have real sex with him.

Julia and Olivia getting abuducted was just completely random and unbelievable. I understand that the writers were clearly using it as a device to show a growing divide between the two of them but honestly i think they did a really poor job of showing us why theyre together in the first place. Before Julia came to LA we were under the impression that she and olivia were truly in love and in my opinion they would need to have amazing chemistry to really justify a straight women deciding to go gay All weve ever seen them do is talk about having sex, having sex, and talk about julia's issues with PDA. They just arent believable as anything more than a fling.

Kimber seems to go through a complete 180 completely screwing over Matt for no apparent reason, i almost dont see the point of the whole meth addiction story line if it just ends with kimber and matt telling shawn and christian instead of them finding out about it in a more interesting way. The most interesting aspect of that whole story line was that kimber and matt didnt seem to see the meth addiction as something bad, they seemed to accept it for what it was, and escape from their heavy mental problems, and only matt had problems with it when it compromised Jenna's health and kimber's values. I dont get why kimber would suddenly agree to telling shawn and christian about it, they never had that "oh my god, we have a baby and we're meth addicts, this is wrong, we need help" moment on camera.

As much as i love Christians witty one liners because Julian is an amazing actor, it feels like this show has one of the greatest casts on television and its wasting them on stupid petty story lines. Compared to the villians and storylines we know this show is capable of, this last episode was a joke. After so many years of that unspoken tension between Christian and Julia theyre finally kinda together and i dont care anymore. It feels unauthentic and rushed, they screwed up one of the underlying storylines to the show and they wasted it. I dont feel that chemistry and desire between Christian and Julia that i have in the past.

If i were a nip tuck writer i would bring back the carver at some point but this time i would have it be a main cast member, maybe Christian, and i would end the show with that revelation. I think that would be the perfect way to show all those inner demons finally manifest themselves on a character the audience cares about rather than have shawn screw another high school girl and make us pretend we give a sh*t

Edited on 12/14/2007 6:10pm