Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

5.08 "Duke Collins" Episode Discussion

  • Avatar of EnterTheTekken

    EnterTheTekken

    [21]Dec 19, 2007
    • member since: 04/02/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 2,122

    Was I watching Nip/Tuck or Passions? Because I can't tell the difference anymore...

    I've pretty much grown accustomed to the fact that moving to L.A. to "start fresh" translated into changing scenary and making all the same mistakes over and over again (i.e. recycle plots OVER again), but this episode used a classic Nip/Tuck device in a cheap fashion:

    The show has always used it's surguries as parallels to what's occuring in the doctor's lives. But that whole Duke Collins father-abandoning-son device was useless, as we all knew that Sean and Matt were going to reconcile anyway. Not to mention, it was also stretching and irrational.

    So now it appears that Matt is a running gag now, as his sex life now includes a porn star turned Scientologist turned porn star, a Neo-Nazi, two transsexuals, and now it appears a burn victim. And just like before, they all start off seemingly normal until they degenerate into some depraved, weird relationship that will require Daddies to bail him out...AGAIN.

    Glad to see Conor Mcnamara actually exists. But it's pretty much assumed that his conception and his birth were pretty much plot devices used to reconcile Julia and Sean in Season 3's end and eat up some plot time in Season 4.

    But yes, the show is really gone off the deep end, as it is no longer a drama series. It truly has become nothing more than a daytime soap opera with Man-ass and S-bombs. Such a shame.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JaceJones

    JaceJones

    [22]Dec 19, 2007
    • member since: 10/19/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,536
    EnterTheTekken wrote:

    Was I watching Nip/Tuck or Passions? Because I can't tell the difference anymore...

    I've pretty much grown accustomed to the fact that moving to L.A. to "start fresh" translated into changing scenary and making all the same mistakes over and over again (i.e. recycle plots OVER again), but this episode used a classic Nip/Tuck device in a cheap fashion:

    The show has always used it's surguries as parallels to what's occuring in the doctor's lives. But that whole Duke Collins father-abandoning-son device was useless, as we all knew that Sean and Matt were going to reconcile anyway. Not to mention, it was also stretching and irrational.

    So now it appears that Matt is a running gag now, as his sex life now includes a porn star turned Scientologist turned porn star, a Neo-Nazi, two transsexuals, and now it appears a burn victim. And just like before, they all start off seemingly normal until they degenerate into some depraved, weird relationship that will require Daddies to bail him out...AGAIN.

    Glad to see Conor Mcnamara actually exists. But it's pretty much assumed that his conception and his birth were pretty much plot devices used to reconcile Julia and Sean in Season 3's end and eat up some plot time in Season 4.

    But yes, the show is really gone off the deep end, as it is no longer a drama series. It truly has become nothing more than a daytime soap opera with Man-ass and S-bombs. Such a shame.



    Ugh. I know we're supposed to respect other people's opinions, but come ON.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SleepTight

    SleepTight

    [23]Dec 20, 2007
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 36
    • rank: Young and Restless
    • posts: 7,535
    After two horrible episodes. I enjoyed this one, sure, there is still some bad writing involved. but the Matt scenes make up for it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of randan02

    randan02

    [24]Dec 20, 2007
    • member since: 08/19/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 834
    JaceJones wrote:
    EnterTheTekken wrote:

    Was I watching Nip/Tuck or Passions? Because I can't tell the difference anymore...

    I've pretty much grown accustomed to the fact that moving to L.A. to "start fresh" translated into changing scenary and making all the same mistakes over and over again (i.e. recycle plots OVER again), but this episode used a classic Nip/Tuck device in a cheap fashion:

    The show has always used it's surguries as parallels to what's occuring in the doctor's lives. But that whole Duke Collins father-abandoning-son device was useless, as we all knew that Sean and Matt were going to reconcile anyway. Not to mention, it was also stretching and irrational.

    So now it appears that Matt is a running gag now, as his sex life now includes a porn star turned Scientologist turned porn star, a Neo-Nazi, two transsexuals, and now it appears a burn victim. And just like before, they all start off seemingly normal until they degenerate into some depraved, weird relationship that will require Daddies to bail him out...AGAIN.

    Glad to see Conor Mcnamara actually exists. But it's pretty much assumed that his conception and his birth were pretty much plot devices used to reconcile Julia and Sean in Season 3's end and eat up some plot time in Season 4.

    But yes, the show is really gone off the deep end, as it is no longer a drama series. It truly has become nothing more than a daytime soap opera with Man-ass and S-bombs. Such a shame.

    Ugh. I know we're supposed to respect other people's opinions
    Really? YOU know that? Well, now I can die. I've seen it all.

    Well suicide's against my religion. I AM black. So the easiest way would be to go to Texas, and tell them it's NOT a tan.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LostSux

    LostSux

    [25]Dec 20, 2007
    • member since: 04/29/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 897
    randan02 wrote:
    JaceJones wrote:
    EnterTheTekken wrote:

    Was I watching Nip/Tuck or Passions? Because I can't tell the difference anymore...

    I've pretty much grown accustomed to the fact that moving to L.A. to "start fresh" translated into changing scenary and making all the same mistakes over and over again (i.e. recycle plots OVER again), but this episode used a classic Nip/Tuck device in a cheap fashion:

    The show has always used it's surguries as parallels to what's occuring in the doctor's lives. But that whole Duke Collins father-abandoning-son device was useless, as we all knew that Sean and Matt were going to reconcile anyway. Not to mention, it was also stretching and irrational.

    So now it appears that Matt is a running gag now, as his sex life now includes a porn star turned Scientologist turned porn star, a Neo-Nazi, two transsexuals, and now it appears a burn victim. And just like before, they all start off seemingly normal until they degenerate into some depraved, weird relationship that will require Daddies to bail him out...AGAIN.

    Glad to see Conor Mcnamara actually exists. But it's pretty much assumed that his conception and his birth were pretty much plot devices used to reconcile Julia and Sean in Season 3's end and eat up some plot time in Season 4.

    But yes, the show is really gone off the deep end, as it is no longer a drama series. It truly has become nothing more than a daytime soap opera with Man-ass and S-bombs. Such a shame.

    Ugh. I know we're supposed to respect other people's opinions
    Really? YOU know that? Well, now I can die. I've seen it all.

    Well suicide's against my religion. I AM black. So the easiest way would be to go to Texas, and tell them it's NOT a tan.

    A Black guy? Going to Texas? I'm sorry randan02 but didn't you say suicide was AGAINST your religion?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JaceJones

    JaceJones

    [26]Dec 20, 2007
    • member since: 10/19/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,536
    randan02 wrote:
    JaceJones wrote:
    EnterTheTekken wrote:

    Was I watching Nip/Tuck or Passions? Because I can't tell the difference anymore...

    I've pretty much grown accustomed to the fact that moving to L.A. to "start fresh" translated into changing scenary and making all the same mistakes over and over again (i.e. recycle plots OVER again), but this episode used a classic Nip/Tuck device in a cheap fashion:

    The show has always used it's surguries as parallels to what's occuring in the doctor's lives. But that whole Duke Collins father-abandoning-son device was useless, as we all knew that Sean and Matt were going to reconcile anyway. Not to mention, it was also stretching and irrational.

    So now it appears that Matt is a running gag now, as his sex life now includes a porn star turned Scientologist turned porn star, a Neo-Nazi, two transsexuals, and now it appears a burn victim. And just like before, they all start off seemingly normal until they degenerate into some depraved, weird relationship that will require Daddies to bail him out...AGAIN.

    Glad to see Conor Mcnamara actually exists. But it's pretty much assumed that his conception and his birth were pretty much plot devices used to reconcile Julia and Sean in Season 3's end and eat up some plot time in Season 4.

    But yes, the show is really gone off the deep end, as it is no longer a drama series. It truly has become nothing more than a daytime soap opera with Man-ass and S-bombs. Such a shame.

    Ugh. I know we're supposed to respect other people's opinions
    Really? YOU know that? Well, now I can die. I've seen it all.

    Well suicide's against my religion. I AM black. So the easiest way would be to go to Texas, and tell them it's NOT a tan.



    Just because I know right and wrong doesn't mean I always choose the righteous path. I don't care about being right or wrong...I care about being me. And usually that consists of being a prick :-\
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of randan02

    randan02

    [27]Dec 20, 2007
    • member since: 08/19/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 834
    JaceJones wrote:
    randan02 wrote:
    JaceJones wrote:
    EnterTheTekken wrote:

    Was I watching Nip/Tuck or Passions? Because I can't tell the difference anymore...

    I've pretty much grown accustomed to the fact that moving to L.A. to "start fresh" translated into changing scenary and making all the same mistakes over and over again (i.e. recycle plots OVER again), but this episode used a classic Nip/Tuck device in a cheap fashion:

    The show has always used it's surguries as parallels to what's occuring in the doctor's lives. But that whole Duke Collins father-abandoning-son device was useless, as we all knew that Sean and Matt were going to reconcile anyway. Not to mention, it was also stretching and irrational.

    So now it appears that Matt is a running gag now, as his sex life now includes a porn star turned Scientologist turned porn star, a Neo-Nazi, two transsexuals, and now it appears a burn victim. And just like before, they all start off seemingly normal until they degenerate into some depraved, weird relationship that will require Daddies to bail him out...AGAIN.

    Glad to see Conor Mcnamara actually exists. But it's pretty much assumed that his conception and his birth were pretty much plot devices used to reconcile Julia and Sean in Season 3's end and eat up some plot time in Season 4.

    But yes, the show is really gone off the deep end, as it is no longer a drama series. It truly has become nothing more than a daytime soap opera with Man-ass and S-bombs. Such a shame.

    Ugh. I know we're supposed to respect other people's opinions
    Really? YOU know that? Well, now I can die. I've seen it all.

    Well suicide's against my religion. I AM black. So the easiest way would be to go to Texas, and tell them it's NOT a tan.



    Just because I know right and wrong doesn't mean I always choose the righteous path. I don't care about being right or wrong...I care about being me. And usually that consists of being a prick :-\
    Cool. Much respect to ya.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JaceJones

    JaceJones

    [28]Dec 20, 2007
    • member since: 10/19/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,536
    randan02 wrote:
    JaceJones wrote:
    randan02 wrote:
    JaceJones wrote:
    EnterTheTekken wrote:

    Was I watching Nip/Tuck or Passions? Because I can't tell the difference anymore...

    I've pretty much grown accustomed to the fact that moving to L.A. to "start fresh" translated into changing scenary and making all the same mistakes over and over again (i.e. recycle plots OVER again), but this episode used a classic Nip/Tuck device in a cheap fashion:

    The show has always used it's surguries as parallels to what's occuring in the doctor's lives. But that whole Duke Collins father-abandoning-son device was useless, as we all knew that Sean and Matt were going to reconcile anyway. Not to mention, it was also stretching and irrational.

    So now it appears that Matt is a running gag now, as his sex life now includes a porn star turned Scientologist turned porn star, a Neo-Nazi, two transsexuals, and now it appears a burn victim. And just like before, they all start off seemingly normal until they degenerate into some depraved, weird relationship that will require Daddies to bail him out...AGAIN.

    Glad to see Conor Mcnamara actually exists. But it's pretty much assumed that his conception and his birth were pretty much plot devices used to reconcile Julia and Sean in Season 3's end and eat up some plot time in Season 4.

    But yes, the show is really gone off the deep end, as it is no longer a drama series. It truly has become nothing more than a daytime soap opera with Man-ass and S-bombs. Such a shame.

    Ugh. I know we're supposed to respect other people's opinions
    Really? YOU know that? Well, now I can die. I've seen it all.

    Well suicide's against my religion. I AM black. So the easiest way would be to go to Texas, and tell them it's NOT a tan.



    Just because I know right and wrong doesn't mean I always choose the righteous path. I don't care about being right or wrong...I care about being me. And usually that consists of being a prick :-\
    Cool. Much respect to ya.


    I assume that was sarcasm, seeing as it's your first language.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of randan02

    randan02

    [29]Dec 21, 2007
    • member since: 08/19/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 834
    JaceJones wrote:
    randan02 wrote:
    JaceJones wrote:
    randan02 wrote:
    JaceJones wrote:
    EnterTheTekken wrote:

    Was I watching Nip/Tuck or Passions? Because I can't tell the difference anymore...

    I've pretty much grown accustomed to the fact that moving to L.A. to "start fresh" translated into changing scenary and making all the same mistakes over and over again (i.e. recycle plots OVER again), but this episode used a classic Nip/Tuck device in a cheap fashion:

    The show has always used it's surguries as parallels to what's occuring in the doctor's lives. But that whole Duke Collins father-abandoning-son device was useless, as we all knew that Sean and Matt were going to reconcile anyway. Not to mention, it was also stretching and irrational.

    So now it appears that Matt is a running gag now, as his sex life now includes a porn star turned Scientologist turned porn star, a Neo-Nazi, two transsexuals, and now it appears a burn victim. And just like before, they all start off seemingly normal until they degenerate into some depraved, weird relationship that will require Daddies to bail him out...AGAIN.

    Glad to see Conor Mcnamara actually exists. But it's pretty much assumed that his conception and his birth were pretty much plot devices used to reconcile Julia and Sean in Season 3's end and eat up some plot time in Season 4.

    But yes, the show is really gone off the deep end, as it is no longer a drama series. It truly has become nothing more than a daytime soap opera with Man-ass and S-bombs. Such a shame.

    Ugh. I know we're supposed to respect other people's opinions
    Really? YOU know that? Well, now I can die. I've seen it all.

    Well suicide's against my religion. I AM black. So the easiest way would be to go to Texas, and tell them it's NOT a tan.



    Just because I know right and wrong doesn't mean I always choose the righteous path. I don't care about being right or wrong...I care about being me. And usually that consists of being a prick :-\
    Cool. Much respect to ya.


    I assume that was sarcasm, seeing as it's your first language.

    LOL! So True! You and other would do well to remember that. But I occasionally revert to my second language to connote (among other things)respect, which, in this case, was warranted and well-deserved.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vinyldj0619

    vinyldj0619

    [30]Dec 21, 2007
    • member since: 12/12/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 6

    I really wasn't that crazy about this episode. Yes I love the fact that there is a possibility that Christian and Julia may get together, but it's so obvious how much Sean is still in love with her. I give him a ton of credit for not disowning them both all together. How about Kimber? As every episode passes, I loathe her more and more. I honestly think Jenna would be better staying with Sean and Christian. Christian has already proven himself as a capiblefather. Maybe not with Matt, but he still keeps in touch with Wilbur and had him for the Christmas gathering. Now the only thing that I know for sure is I can't wait until January 15th. Why so long until the next episode?????

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MrGrubman

    MrGrubman

    [31]Dec 21, 2007
    • member since: 12/15/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 5

    gotta agree with EnterTheTekken...just one cliche after another. I know the show is fiction but there is no believability left. OK already, all the characters are warped.

    Edited on 12/21/2007 2:22pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JaceJones

    JaceJones

    [32]Dec 22, 2007
    • member since: 10/19/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,536
    vinyldj0619 wrote:

    I really wasn't that crazy about this episode. Yes I love the fact that there is a possibility that Christian and Julia may get together, but it's so obvious how much Sean is still in love with her. I give him a ton of credit for not disowning them both all together. How about Kimber? As every episode passes, I loathe her more and more. I honestly think Jenna would be better staying with Sean and Christian. Christian has already proven himself as a capiblefather. Maybe not with Matt, but he still keeps in touch with Wilbur and had him for the Christmas gathering. Now the only thing that I know for sure is I can't wait until January 15th. Why so long until the next episode?????



    The holidays affects viewership. This break means no dramatic drop in ratings for the next few weeks. It gives people time to experience the holidays and get over them before getting back into their favorite TV shows. EVERY show does this every year.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shawnlunn2002

    shawnlunn2002

    [33]Jan 15, 2008
    • member since: 06/06/05
    • level: 41
    • rank: Sleestack
    • posts: 3,100
    I liked this one. Last week, but this, definitely fun enough.

    Kimber - Do us all a favour and die. Seriously how chilsih was she at that party? Matt's the only person who genuinely gave a damn about her and she's treating him like dirt. Ram had better drop that girl before she ruins him too. Julia should've punched her one.

    Matt/Rachel - Matt needed the smackdowns from both Sean and Rachel this week. I liked him getting assertive in the end but he would've been better off at that Christmas party than with Rachel. Please don't turn her into a loony, RM. Matt needs to date a sane woman or try a relationship with a sane man. At this rate maybve Matt would have more success with a man.

    Julia/Eden - Here's a good rivalry. Eden actually showed some acting. I was nearly convinced she wanted to make nice with Julia. If only it hadn't been for that pesky fruitcake. Oh the effects are working slowly too. Olivia might want to watch for her daughter's homicidal tendencies.

    Julia/Christian/Sean - Like I could care less. Julia belongs and doesn't work with neither. Let's knock this crappy plot on it's head. All three of them need to move. Maybe someone should rope back in Michelle and Kate.

    Liz/Olivia - There was a funny exchange between them at the party. Did anyone else notice that? I think Olivia might be waking up to the hotness of Liz. Here's hoping.

    Rating:8/10.

    Review will be up during the week.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.