We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

5.09 "Rachel Ben Natan" Episode Discussion (spoilers)

ilovedrcox

[21]Jan 7, 2008
    • level: 10

randan02 wrote:
    JaceJones wrote:
    ilovedrcox wrote:
    Who is Gina?
    Ohhhh man you HAVE to watch seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4 over again before January 15th. You HAVE to.
    So then u actually ENJOYED seasons 1-4?

i enjoyed season 1 - i kno u asked jace but i am answering too.. season 2 is pretty good..

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tjaman

[22]Jan 7, 2008
    • level: 32
    I like each passing season a little less (with the possible exception of S2, which was jaw-dropping all the way through and may indeed have improved a bit on S1, but they're both phenomenal), but so far I've liked all of them.

randan02

[23]Jan 7, 2008
    Don't get me wrong! I loved all the seasons unconditionally. It's just that I hear a lot of pissing and moaning over the last 2 seasons, and was surprised to hear Jace's endorsement of all the previous seasons. That's all.

JaceJones

[24]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 8
    randan02 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong! I loved all the seasons unconditionally. It's just that I hear a lot of pissing and moaning over the last 2 seasons, and was surprised to hear Jace's endorsement of all the previous seasons. That's all.

No. Unlike most on this forum, I think the show is virtually flawless. VIRTUALLY. There are things they could've done better, but the story telling is amazing nonetheless.

In other words, I've enjoyed EVERY season thus far, yes, including season five.

randan02

[25]Jan 9, 2008
    JaceJones wrote:
    randan02 wrote:
    I've enjoyed EVERY season thus far, yes, including season five.

I thought it was just me.

JaceJones

[26]Jan 9, 2008
    randan02 wrote:
    JaceJones wrote:
    randan02 wrote:
    I've enjoyed EVERY season thus far, yes, including season five.

I thought it was just me.

You'd think so looking around this place haha.

ilovedrcox

[27]Jan 14, 2008

woo hoo its on tomoro! =D

trrom

[28]Jan 14, 2008
    • level: 2
    ilovedrcox wrote:

woo hoo its on tomoro! =D

I know I can't wait....it's hard enough waiting from one week to the next but the suspense since the last episode is killing me.

yolanda6

[29]Jan 15, 2008
    • level: 6
    Gina is my favorite female character. I am glad the producers are bringing her back. I hate Julia. I have always wanted Christian and Gina to get together. Can't wait to see Sean kick Christian's butt tonite.

entity0

[30]Jan 15, 2008
    • level: 28
    this is a good way to bring back the show after the holidays i cant wait to see Gina i really luv her character and she did an awesome job in the lil time she was on heroes not to mention i want to see what matts counselor wants done to her that right there is a suprise seein that she was "happy" with the way she looked im thinkin she wants a romance with matt and needs to get dolled up for him

micmol25

[31]Jan 15, 2008
    • level: 3
    Here are all my thoughts on tonight's episode. Feel free to register and make comments and I'll write back.

http://michaelmoller.com/wordpress/archives/305

tjaman

[32]Jan 16, 2008
    Sean's "suicide bombing" attack was to give Christian and Julia space? And Christian started beating him up because he was being passive-aggressive?

I remember Sean beating the crap out of Christian after he found out Matt wasn't his son. And I remember thinking that was a perfectly appropriate response.

I didn't see anything appropriate about their fighting and tearing their office apart tonight. The fight seemed baseless and forced and -- at the same time -- a resolution, if you will, of too many jealousies and slights and stupidities (and really too inadequate to confront or atone for them simply because it was so outlandish).

Anyway, Christian seems already to be confronting a basic fact about sleeping with Julia: The woman is, at the core of her very nature, insatiable -- in the sense that it is impossible for her to be satisfied.

Is it odd to anyone else that Julia is sleeping with Christian so openly that Sean is just around and yet on some level she's actually meant to be a couple with Olivia? And where's Annie in all of this? Didn't she have this incredibly inappropriate sexual incident with a boy at school and theoretically require more, not less, adult supervision? Please G-d tell me she's not hanging poolside with Eden. Where is Julia telling Olivia that she is all the time, anyway?

Turning to the case that drives the metaphor, Rachel Ben Nataan has been a fascinating character study through her very short arc thus far. Reflected in her glow one can almost see the ancient glimmerings of the Matt we meet in "Conor 2026." In fact, given that they met because Matt's meth lab blew up in his face, he's come a long way in a very short period of time.

Rachel is dealing with her date blowing up in her face. And spattered about the rest of her, too. I thought the x-ray was the tiniest bit "Hearts and Scalpels," in that it would only show bits of the guy's bones, and not the soft-tissue damage he'd surely embedded in her, but then I thought that her body might have absorbed and repurposed his soft tissue debris, and the bones might honestly be all that were left.

And at the end of her surgery, she did look noticeably better. And not skin-and-structurewise, although there were subtle improvements there, too. Demeanorwise, the actress was projecting visibly less angst than she was when we met her, and I thought that was amazing, because it meant that she'd been given a lot of insight into her character very early on. Which suggests she might be longer-term than shorter-term, and frankly I'm pleased by that. I like Rachel. I'd like to get to know her better.

I thought that Sean's visions of her "date" were interesting but a little too ... vivid. And eeeeeevil. If the idea was to humanize him -- which his actual monologue seemed geared toward -- lighting him like Nosferatu seemed counterproductive. Yes he did a horrible thing. Yes, we're meant to understand he's this selfish evil terrorist. But picture him saying everything he said in warm lighting and with a reasonable smile on his face.

Frankly, that seems like it would've been even more chilling. * shrug *

And for a Dawn Budge episode, she didn't intrude overmuch. Heck, the blonde bombshell Christian screwed in that cliched montage had a similar impact on the story. I'm so pleased to have seen Gina for a few moments. What a great entrance. And Christian, really? Your car? I wouldn't have thought you'd have wanted her anywhere near one of your cars given some of your earliest interaction.

Freddy was so flamboyant I'd assumed he'd come out at least to himself when he was in the second grade. When you're as flamy as Freddy Mercury .. well, maybe I'm being unfair. Honestly, I thought he was dating Dawn to keep her from suing "H&S" because that light fell on top of her, and that he was basically scared straight, so to speak.

So her run-in with the lady bikers was once again as comic as everything else that happens with Dawn, but I thought her behavior on set and her coming to terms with her lover's homosexuality was a light distraction from the heaviness of the rest of the episode. Sean moving out and the problems Christian and Julia are having (what is wrong with our little "Camille," I wonder?) and Rachel and Matt getting closer and Rachel trying to come to terms with her unforgivable assault.

This seemed like a really important episode, character developmentwise.

I just can't get my head around that fight.

LostSux

[33]Jan 16, 2008
    • level: 6
    randan02 wrote:
    I find it odd that Gina sold the spa business( presumably for millions) only to move to LA to be a secretary (at 12/hr). Plus, with Christian and Sean as her employers, she has very little job security. Add to the fact that she will be only a few miles from her son that the courts forbid her from ever having contact from. Does AIDS also come with severe cognitive degeneration?
    First off, the episode was great as usual. I'm always happy to see Gina. Secondly, you were right. That was (creatively speaking) a piss-poor way to bring Gina back. She sold her spa for no less than a few hundred thousand, she got her CA realtor's license which means no less than 75 grand a year, and she is working as a receptionist? That's tantamount to a lawyer working as a legal secretary. They should've came up with a much more plausible excuse. All this, was marred by the fact that this ep was soooooo hilarious!

vicwil

[34]Jan 16, 2008
    • level: 1
    Does ANYONE know who the actress was that played the blonde bombshell receptionist that Sean hired and Christian banged before firing her?

Jemadari

[35]Jan 16, 2008
    • level: 12
    I found this entire episode uninspired and it could have been completely bypassed that having been said I think i'm going to like Gina until she and Christian start their love hate thing again which have no doubt they will

slim324k

[36]Jan 16, 2008
    • level: 12
    Gina and Christian going at it again...that should be a treat. I kinda figured Dawns man was gay it was funny though watching it all play out. Wondering how much that cake Eve made for Julia is playing in her health issues?!

tjaman

[37]Jan 16, 2008
    I'm guessing Eden has poisoned everything in the hotel room, including her toothpaste and her mouthwash ...

Either that or now Murph is poisoning everything Joely is eating on set ...

Edited on 01/16/2008 2:50pm
    Edited 2 total times.

JaceJones

[38]Jan 16, 2008
    I don't think a true fan of this show could argue that this episode was brilliant. It had everything we love about Nip/Tuck; humor, drama, action, people slowly dying, etc. I don't think Christian attacked Sean first. He just tried to stop him and get him to talk to him, and out of frustration, came off a little more aggressive than he may have meant to.

JaceJones

[39]Jan 16, 2008
    BTW you guys have to be either really simple-minded or forgetting something very important to not know why Gina would want to come out to LA so badly.

SHE IS IN LOVE WITH CHRISTIAN. And she has been since season one. Of course, if she has an opportunity to get close to him again, she's gonna consider it.

tjaman

[40]Jan 16, 2008
    Well, something would have to explain it. If I moved to the other end of the country and then, somehow, was followed there by nearly everyone I'd ever met, I'd consider that to be at least a little weird.

That being said, I enjoy the idea of Gina as unrequited lover. We'll see how that plays out.