Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

5.10 "Magda and Jeff" Episode Discussion

SeppukkuKensei

[61]Jan 26, 2008
    • level: 2
    Hey I just realized Christian wears my size condom.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JaceJones

[62]Jan 26, 2008
    • level: 8
    SeppukkuKensei wrote:
    Hey I just realized Christian wears my size condom.

Well, thanks for that.

vitaminjd

[63]Jan 27, 2008
    • level: 13
    thekeico wrote:
    LostSux wrote:
    So Christian only used ONE condom with an HIV positive woman? A condom supplied by her? Who's to say she didn't take a safety pin, and poke a small hole in the condom.

Thought the same thing. Anyway, you can definitely hear some sort of glass barrier crashing, so i will go for the accident.

That was my thought too. I can't believe that he would trust Gina like that. First I thought she was trying to get pregnant again.

But now I think she set up the fall/death to frame Christian.

JaceJones

[64]Jan 27, 2008
    • level: 8
    vitaminjd wrote:
    thekeico wrote:
    LostSux wrote:
    So Christian only used ONE condom with an HIV positive woman? A condom supplied by her? Who's to say she didn't take a safety pin, and poke a small hole in the condom.

Thought the same thing. Anyway, you can definitely hear some sort of glass barrier crashing, so i will go for the accident.

But now I think she set up the fall/death to frame Christian.

Gina wouldn't willingly give up her life for anything like that. Especially seeing as she seemed just as surprised as he did when she started plummeting toward the ground.

shawnlunn2002

[65]Jan 29, 2008
    • level: 41
    This was a mad episode. Only two episodes in and the writers decide to off Gina. So we're still stuck with that unbearable b!tch Kimber for the rest of this season. Great!

Gina certainly helped create more conflict between Christian and Julia. You'd hope after this episode, Christian will get the sense to dump Julia. She really doesn't love him and he don't love and this episode proves it.

Even though Gina had no right to interfere, her assessment of Julia is too accurate for words. I think it began to sink for Christian this week.

How come Olivia isn't remotely suspicious? Julia is ill and nowhere near her and Eden isn't exactly keeping a close eye to see how handiwork is progressing.

I did like that Gina went out with a bang but I wished her death had been 5.14 and not this one. Plus it sucks that now both Wilbur's biological parents are dead. Gina didn't even get a scene with him in this episode.

Sean's rise to fame was an interesting plot too. Why is Colleen so fixated on him and did Eden deliberately play a part to ruin Aidan's career (though in fairness, why would you want to be on a show as crap as Hearts And Scalpels anyway?)

It's a shame that Sean and Aidan's little friendship ended but I think Aidan will still factor somehow in the season. I like that we saw Kate again and how civil she was with Sean. Can't her get back with her?

Not really loving Colleen as a character but Freddy was pretty funny in this episode. He's embracing his stroppy side a lot more now.

The patients were funny enough, though that sex scene between Magda and Jeff was horrific to watch. Never again.

I like that we had a Queer As Folk/The L Word convention of sorts with Sharon Glees, Robert Gant and Marlee Maitlin. This was an improvement on last week.

tjaman

[66]Jan 29, 2008
    • level: 32
    The message of M&J seems to be grab life by the balls and squeeze all the joy you can out of it until you can't squeeze no more.

This is not a new storyline for "Nip/Tuck." The Joel Gideon shark-stalking blowfish-eating storyline, a good portion of the Grubman character arc, all bear out Jeff in his determination to run screaming from "Beelzebubbe" (fun nickname, btw).

It's often contrasted with characters who are finding quieter, less extreme happiness, usually in a renewed appreciation of themselves or new love, like Megan O'Hara (sort of ... I mean, right up until she killed herself) and Naomi Gaines.

The message is that the extreme personalities like Bobbie Broderick and Nanette Babcock can't survive. They're too self-destructive.

So when Jeff determines to cut his losses and take his new face and make a new life, he's a hopeful character. It's his fear that traps him. His fear and his loathing and ultimately his self-loathing. Sure he'd have a bigger allowance and a nice new car, but when would he get to enjoy it?

It becomes a fool's wager in the end, because he collapses in shock -- mostly because that selfish, horny old goat doesn't stock enough Energizers.

But wow, what a seduction technique, huh? "I'm not long for this world. Do me!"

In reality, she was living her life. She probably was dying when she and Jeff got together 20 years ago. Who knew that bribery and power and control and manipulation and sex on demand were some kind of fountain of youth? For sure it gave her something to wake up to in the morning.

And we saw the exact same thing all of last season with Burt and Michelle and no one saw anything impossibly wrong with what she was doing (marrying some decrepit old guy 'til death do they part in the not-so-unforeseeable future), so what's sauce for the gander in this case is sauce for the goose.

What it means for our heroes is when an opportunity presents itself to live life more fully, take it. Sean! Step out from the shadows of that ridiculous hack! Christian! Pursue your dream of dumping Julia because on reflection you're having exactly the same amount of fun with her that Sean always seemed to be having! Sean! Disentangle yourself from the weird needy agent lady and tap that nubile young starlet! You are, after all, a teevee star.

Side note: Between Sean at the hell party and her scene in Aiden's trailer, Eden seems pretty much reconciled with missionary. I'm intrigued by her placing a camera and how YouTube is just her personal bitca. Generally, tho, I'm just horrified by the decision-making processes in her presence. Are visibility and EPA standards just compromised painfully by the gallons of pheromone hanging in her wake wherever she goes? How can people breathe?

Oh, and finally, Christian! Send that weird, manipulative, disruptive, post-modern-sex-having, plague ho bitca flying! What an exit. Watch that first step, Gina -- it's a doozie.

And don't worry about a thing. After all ...

... nobody's keeping score.

Edited on 01/29/2008 9:06pm

DrLar

[67]Feb 5, 2008
    • level: 10
    Finally someone talks about the "name of the episode characters"

The Magda and Jeff scene was just gross!!!

I didn't want to watch that, they really surprised me!

I bet the old lady was using a body double to pull that stunt, or was she?

I think Gina maybe have given Aids to Christian, I mean she was insinuating to Julia that she may have Aids because of the Symptoms.

I was thinking that Gina could be the mastermind in Julias poisoning..

tjaman

[68]Feb 5, 2008
    I think Gina was all about driving wedges between people. Those two thrusts while sheathed, even if there'd been a pinhole, seems to me to be minimal exposure. Or if she'd deliberately cut herself before the kiss during po-mo sex, but again, they work in the same office -- it seems like there'd be lots of other better opportunities.

And absolutely, if she had, I think she would've "muwhahahahaha'd" about it to him.

I think some people really just want to see Christian with AIDS, and Gina as thyphoid Mary. And yeah, he doesn't always use a condom but he said if he had any reason to doubt the girl was clean, he'd bag it up.

More to the point, Julia's symptoms are progressing in an extraordinary way for her to have been infected with HIV, especially anytime recently. Not to mention both her and Christian came back clean.

If all Gina could do what fling doubt-bombs all over the place, it's essentially all she was doing between Julia and Christian.

Julia's not faking, and I doubt her sickness will vanish without explanation. Just because Dr. House would figure it out in 38 minutes doesn't mean he's had a chance to examine her case.

carnaby12

[69]Feb 9, 2008
    • level: 12
    I don't know if it was already mentioned but christian used a condom when he was ****** with Gina?

tjaman

[70]Feb 9, 2008
    Yes.