Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

5.11: "Kyle Ainge" Episode Discussion

randan02

[41]Feb 1, 2008
    • level: 10

JaceJones wrote:
    Hm...well, usually I tell people who don't like this show to STFU and go somewhere else, but this episode makes me want to complain. I had a fear, a STRONG fear, that after they killed one strong character (Gina) they wouldn't be hesitant about killing other characters anymore. I'm not saying they're gonna kill characters every episode, but I think it was a little too soon to have another one die. I love the idea of Colleen being a crazy ass lady. I DON'T love the idea of her killing a man without seemingly having any trouble doing it. Which could be because I was SO CERTAIN that Eden and her were in cohoots together. But hey, if it's true that Eden's fruitcake is slowly killing Julia, then maybe I shouldn't be surprised. All in all, I can't say this episode sucked terribly. There were just a few things I either didn't like or didn't find believable. Unfortunately, it's not an episode I would've followed "Magda and Jeff" up with. In my eyes, anyway. BUT I did love everything that had to do with Gina in this episode. ESPECIALLY the funeral. And the fact that we got to meet the person who gave Gina HIV? BRILLIANT, Ryan Murphy, BRILLIANT. That was such a gut-buster, to me. Who knew Gina had a heart like that? I also didn't like the biter. So...weird and sort of pointless. What was with that? Same goes for Kyle and his wife. I realize that must've been hard, but I don't know how much I believe their storyline. Just seemed weird to me. That'll be all, folks.

There was the Tsunami. There was Katrina. Only 85 people were killed in my neighborhood in 2007. Jace didn't praise a nip/tuck episode. Normally I'd be really scared at this point, but luckily, my brother is the first-born son.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JalineTV

[42]Feb 1, 2008
    • level: 18

Wow.

I never thought "Nip/Tuck" could get any more weird and disturbing.

I loved the episode (first one I've liked in a long time), but I knew there was something off-base about Sean's agent before (she's SO creepy), and when you add Wilbur's teacher into the mix it's CRAZY. They both made this episode so weird, yet compelling. And then if you add the flesh-eating couple, it's even more strange.

JaceJones

[43]Feb 1, 2008
    • level: 8
    randan02 wrote:

JaceJones wrote:
    Hm...well, usually I tell people who don't like this show to STFU and go somewhere else, but this episode makes me want to complain. I had a fear, a STRONG fear, that after they killed one strong character (Gina) they wouldn't be hesitant about killing other characters anymore. I'm not saying they're gonna kill characters every episode, but I think it was a little too soon to have another one die. I love the idea of Colleen being a crazy ass lady. I DON'T love the idea of her killing a man without seemingly having any trouble doing it. Which could be because I was SO CERTAIN that Eden and her were in cohoots together. But hey, if it's true that Eden's fruitcake is slowly killing Julia, then maybe I shouldn't be surprised. All in all, I can't say this episode sucked terribly. There were just a few things I either didn't like or didn't find believable. Unfortunately, it's not an episode I would've followed "Magda and Jeff" up with. In my eyes, anyway. BUT I did love everything that had to do with Gina in this episode. ESPECIALLY the funeral. And the fact that we got to meet the person who gave Gina HIV? BRILLIANT, Ryan Murphy, BRILLIANT. That was such a gut-buster, to me. Who knew Gina had a heart like that? I also didn't like the biter. So...weird and sort of pointless. What was with that? Same goes for Kyle and his wife. I realize that must've been hard, but I don't know how much I believe their storyline. Just seemed weird to me. That'll be all, folks.

Normally I'd be really scared at this point, but luckily, my brother is the first-born son.

How unfortunate for all of us.

JK :]

ebbydmp

[44]Feb 1, 2008
    • level: 13
    Dr_Chaos_Fox wrote:

That teacher was just plain disturbed (but surprisingly cute)

Who the hell goes around biting fricking children?

She didn't know all she had to do was ask Christian to have sex with her, and I don't remember actually seeing the bitten kids.

ebbydmp

[45]Feb 1, 2008
    • level: 13
    JaceJones wrote:
    Hm...well, usually I tell people who don't like this show to STFU and go somewhere else, but this episode makes me want to complain.

I had a fear, a STRONG fear, that after they killed one strong character (Gina) they wouldn't be hesitant about killing other characters anymore. I'm not saying they're gonna kill characters every episode, but I think it was a little too soon to have another one die. I love the idea of Colleen being a crazy ass lady. I DON'T love the idea of her killing a man without seemingly having any trouble doing it. Which could be because I was SO CERTAIN that Eden and her were in cohoots together. But hey, if it's true that Eden's fruitcake is slowly killing Julia, then maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

All in all, I can't say this episode sucked terribly. There were just a few things I either didn't like or didn't find believable. Unfortunately, it's not an episode I would've followed "Magda and Jeff" up with. In my eyes, anyway.

BUT I did love everything that had to do with Gina in this episode. ESPECIALLY the funeral. And the fact that we got to meet the person who gave Gina HIV? BRILLIANT, Ryan Murphy, BRILLIANT. That was such a gut-buster, to me. Who knew Gina had a heart like that?

I also didn't like the biter. So...weird and sort of pointless. What was with that?

Same goes for Kyle and his wife. I realize that must've been hard, but I don't know how much I believe their storyline. Just seemed weird to me.

That'll be all, folks.

How can you believe a story about killer fruitcake (who actually eats fruitcake) but you can't believe one person eating another to feel closer to each other.

And as for this following "Magda and Jeff" it's the best thing they could have done short of leaving "M&J" out completely. "Kyle Ainge" is the best episode of the season so far.

Page_47

[47]Feb 2, 2008
    • level: 11
    That agent scared me more than anything else on Nip/Tuck (or TV) ever has! I thought it was a perfectly realized vision this episode, but I hope they don't go too far down the 'horror film' route in future ones. Did you notice how the agent saw something off screen and started screaming before she started stuffing him? I think she might have a collection :/

JaceJones

[48]Feb 3, 2008
    ebbydmp wrote:
    JaceJones wrote:
    Hm...well, usually I tell people who don't like this show to STFU and go somewhere else, but this episode makes me want to complain.

I had a fear, a STRONG fear, that after they killed one strong character (Gina) they wouldn't be hesitant about killing other characters anymore. I'm not saying they're gonna kill characters every episode, but I think it was a little too soon to have another one die. I love the idea of Colleen being a crazy ass lady. I DON'T love the idea of her killing a man without seemingly having any trouble doing it. Which could be because I was SO CERTAIN that Eden and her were in cohoots together. But hey, if it's true that Eden's fruitcake is slowly killing Julia, then maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

All in all, I can't say this episode sucked terribly. There were just a few things I either didn't like or didn't find believable. Unfortunately, it's not an episode I would've followed "Magda and Jeff" up with. In my eyes, anyway.

BUT I did love everything that had to do with Gina in this episode. ESPECIALLY the funeral. And the fact that we got to meet the person who gave Gina HIV? BRILLIANT, Ryan Murphy, BRILLIANT. That was such a gut-buster, to me. Who knew Gina had a heart like that?

I also didn't like the biter. So...weird and sort of pointless. What was with that?

Same goes for Kyle and his wife. I realize that must've been hard, but I don't know how much I believe their storyline. Just seemed weird to me.

That'll be all, folks.

How can you believe a story about killer fruitcake (who actually eats fruitcake) but you can't believe one person eating another to feel closer to each other.

And as for this following "Magda and Jeff" it's the best thing they could have done short of leaving "M&J" out completely. "Kyle Ainge" is the best episode of the season so far.

Um, are you serious? Didn't you just make a thread asking for the old Nip/Tuck back? That some of the plot lines this season are a little too out there? And now you're saying the previous episode, "Kyle Ainge," the episode aired prior to your little parade, is the best of the season? Give me a break.

Besides...killer fruitcake is exceptional. It fit the episode, it fit the holidays, and Julia said she loves fruitcake. I've never heard of anyone loving human flesh. Well, except Hannibal Lector.

pearlap

[49]Feb 3, 2008
    • level: 10

Wow - I haven't posted in awhile, but this episode demands comment! I was so creeped out by Coleen - what a perfectly disturbing way to kill someone. "The stuffing is going inside you now," in that sickening sweet tone of hers - yikes! I actually had to look away. And just in case you weren't SURE she was crazy after that - let's have her stick some plastic eyes into the dead agent's eyelids.

And the scene where Christian imagined telling Wilbur about Gina totally cracked me up. "Is mommy a skank?" Only Nip/Tuck could have me cringing and looking away and laughing druing the same episode. Well done.

And seriously, I want a Sean bear.

Edited on 02/03/2008 10:24am

charley28

[50]Feb 3, 2008
    • level: 66
    "Is mommy a skank?" that was my favorite line... I would have loved to been on the set to see the outtakes of this..

JaceJones

[51]Feb 3, 2008
    charley28 wrote:
    "Is mommy a skank?" that was my favorite line... I would have loved to been on the set to see the outtakes of this..

LOL oh fo sho.

Xuver

[52]Feb 4, 2008
    • level: 5
    Page_47 wrote:
    That agent scared me more than anything else on Nip/Tuck (or TV) ever has! I thought it was a perfectly realized vision this episode, but I hope they don't go too far down the 'horror film' route in future ones. Did you notice how the agent saw something off screen and started screaming before she started stuffing him? I think she might have a collection :/

oooo nice

she did look like she knows what shes doing, its probly not her first time.

ooo i want to see her stuff eden or somthing there should be a virtual stuffer or somthing on the net.

wow i miss eva they should show her again

tjaman

[53]Feb 4, 2008
    • level: 32
    How come I get the sense that if someone were to stuff Eden it wouldn't be the first time?

shawnlunn2002

[54]Feb 5, 2008
    • level: 41
    Because Eden is used to being stuffed left, right and centre.

Now onto important things. I loved this episode. I didn't think I would but I also thought that about the previous episode and it's one of my all time favourites.

Christian first. I liked his duality with Gina's death. On one hand, she no longer poses a problem for him but on the other hand, he DOES care that she died.

She might not have been his favourite person but he realises that she didn't deserve to die and he did go to her funeral and pay for the arrangements and you're not going to do that for a person you truly hate, right?

The funeral sequence was worthy of SFU. In fact all of Gina's SA pals regaling of her sexual prowess was done on SFU in the episode "An Open Book". Nip/Tuck copied that extremely well.

Interesting that we met the guy who gave her HIV and that Gina was able to forgive him. He did seem genuinely guilty for passing it on to her as such. I liked that Liz was at the funeral too.

Christian and Wilbur - how freaking adorable are those two together? I loved the "is Mommy a skank?" line. Only this show would do that. I knew that Wilbur wasn't biting kids and while Christian should tell him what really happened with Gina, I can understand why he had difficulty doing it.

Tabitha was an annoying bint. Why the hell is she going biting kids for anyway? Why did she single Wilbur out as the biter too? I hate that she got away with too.

The lack of Julia made this episode. I couldn't have sat through another argument between her and Christian. Also when is Olivia coming back?

Colleen is shaping up to be a great threat. After the blandness of Eden, at least Colleen knows how to scare the crap out of you. Poor Bob. Sure he was an opportunist but the guy didn't deserve that fate. Sean had better watch his back big time.

The cannibal plot with Kyle and his wife was gross but hardly implausible. I remember there being a new item a few years about some guy in Germany eating people.

Could it be that this season is getting back on track? This was two episodes in a row that I seriously enjoyed.

tjaman

[55]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 32
    Again, I wanted to hold off to see where things were going before talking about this one. Personally, I'm finding this show to be fascinating. However, there are so many important subplots that as one gets the attention it deserves, others fly to the back burner. Even now I feel like Matt and Rachel have completely disappeared and once again Annie is "Annie who?" Heck, after that huge confrontation between Gina and Julia in which Gina paraded her true colors as both a compulsive liar and a vindictive bitca, the Julialessness of this episode was a bit jarring.

But the focus was where it should be. Let's start with that funeral, because indeed you can't spell "funeral" without F-U-N (or F-U, for that matter).

By now it seems pretty clear that Gina diligently attends S.A. meetings so as to have sex with them. And she certainly made an impression.

The overarching theme for this episode was the consuming of others. The more direct allegory for Christian was that psycho Tabitha biting children and blaming it on Wilber. The more significant allegory in my opinion is the guilt that was eating away at him from the inside.

The scene at the morgue was deeply insightful. Alone with her battered shell, he says: "Of all the times I wanted to kill you, Gina, this wasn't one of them." Suggesting that he was honestly just going for some hate-sex on the balcony on her way out the door and she simply lost her balance.

Which is comforting, because I've never seen Christian as a murderer. He can be cruel and self-involved (see "Abby Mays") and he can be a deeply destructive personality, but as full of himself as he is, he's a doctor and a damaged human being. I've never seen him as homicidal. Heck, Sean's even more comfortable disposing of bodies than he is.

Have I gone this long without mentioning Sean? His storyline seemed like it got swallowed whole. The couple exploring cannibalism was just less interesting to me, and his whole thing with the CAA swanning in seemed more of an illustration as to why we need to be very, very frightened of Sharon Gless.

Seriously, is this the same actress who wandered around in "Burn Notice" last summer with all the screen presence of a dressmaker's dummy, stumbling into furniture and generally irritating me? Holy G-d, with that apartment scene, she's easily as frightening as Glenn Close ever got in "Damages."

The consumption theme carried on with her desperation that Sean might discover the truth about her to the extent that she murdered any threat on the horizon. It was more than a little forced and on reflection, Bob would never have met with her in her "home office" (his staff would've discovered the truth about her within five minutes and he wouldn't have even taken her call). But the fact that he did led to one of the scariest confrontations this season.

Stepping out of the review for a moment, I love that somewhere in the universe there is such an object as a "Sean Bear." This show is occasionally as charming as it is twisted.

Anyone arguing that Sean is out of character as a womanizer has already forgotten Monica Wilder from last season and his basic addiction to youth. We saw it earlier this season when he dressed Katie as a school-girl and when it comes to Eden, she's so naughty and forbidden he's all but dragged around by his dick.

So it wasn't that surprising to see him letching after the extra. After all, it's not like he's got anyone at home.

Finally, Christian's scenes with Wilber were among the best I've seen. "Is mommy a skank?" is just a pee-makingly funny line, and his "Oh, mommy? I killed her" monologue was some of his best stuff this season. The kid who plays Wilber is a tolerable child actor -- certainly better than the Scavo kids in the first season of "Deperate Housewives" -- but his delivery was definitely better than his reactions.

In the end, however, Christian replacing one bitca in his life with another was a nice move.

And now, if you'll excuse me, Kimber and Eden are in the waiting room, and they're somehow short three black eyes.

melyndag

[56]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 1
    TOTALLY AGREED! and what ever happened to the episode with the guy that had the chip implanted by the aliens???!!! has everyone forgot about that??? what was the point of the couple feeding each other their flesh? its crazy!

cez01

[57]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 2
    Personally after I watched this episode I was satisfied. I actually felt goosebumps and its honestly been a while since I've loved an episode. I loved the way the stuffer came out of nowhere and Colleen does a great acting scene. That woman knows how to be a psycho.I felt like i was there watching her kill the poor guy. Good work writers! I would've thought that those of you that were *cough cough* disgusted or appalled by the episode was to simply switch it off. Your watches of Nip/tuck. Just thought that Nip tuck episodes were usually shocking and gory due to the medical scenes and the high level of sex scenes. I guess I was wrong...

Bummoo

[58]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 4
    okk guys...this episode is just beyond grosss!! i mean first the married couple eating each others flesh! and now the whole bear stuffing thing!! i cant even finish watching this episode! ive paused it! nip tuck has come up with weird story lines..but i think this is pushing it just a little bit too far!!!