Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

5.12 "Lulu Grandiron" Episode Discussion

  • Avatar of ptmom

    ptmom

    [21]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 01/17/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1
    Thought the episode was interesting. Joan Van Ark is just scary looking these days, though! What's up with Kelly Carlson's (Kimber) skin. Her cheeks looked really gray and just plain odd, especially in the scene when she told Eden not to cross her again. Maybe she's supposed to look that way because of the drug use? I kept wondering if they were going to do any follow-up on the guy Colleen killed last week. How did she get rid of the body?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ebbydmp

    ebbydmp

    [22]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 05/24/06
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 673
    I think this episode was not so bad. I hated the socialite ladies story, Sean helping Eden, everything with Kimber & Ram, and Christian getting people to worship his "member" because he's not cool anymore. But I loved Collen getting found out. I hope she doesn't die though becasue they could get a really good story out of her going ape sh** and killing people.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JalineTV

    JalineTV

    [23]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,094
    ebayking90 wrote:
    Great episode, I am happy that Colleen true identity was finally revealed. I have mixed feelings about Sean and Eden. She seems to act like an innocent puppy dog around him, but elseswhere she acts like a spoiled brat. We still really don't know exactly what her true colors are. It is almost as if she is bipolar. Why she decided to believe crazy Colleen, I will never know. Sean went through all that trouble to get her out of porn and she believes that he was just using her. What an idiot!!!! Come on use your head Eden. Also, I agree with the previous poster, they might haven given away too much in the preview for next week. Hopefully it doesn't end up where the preview is better than the episode.


    I've liked these past two episodes. Colleen is perfectly creepy, and everyone seemed to be bipolar in this episode. Sean and Christian kept doing stupid things, but they were somewhat realistic. I mean, Christian has the biggest ego ever, so of course he's going to believe a woman who tells him that he's an "artist", and especially that he is better than Sean. The superficial and fake environment of L.A. has been emphasized heavily, and just the weirdness of people in general. There were episodes from previous seasons that were very strange, but it's almost at a new level this time around. I actually liked that storyline with the bipolar woman. I feel that it's realistic in the sense that there are people who are so obsessed with being someone or something else. I mean, that's the argument surrounding the entire field of plastic surgery. Are people having surgery to become more like someone else? Or to become more like themselves (whoever they "truly" are)?

    I have mixed feelings about Eden. Even though she is quite young, I think, if she ever wants her life to get back on track, Sean is better than anyone else she will be hanging out with. While Sean keeps making the same mistake of helping her out, you can tell that she DOES want some level of help. And if she's faking it, then she's still pretty convincing. I mean, why would she look unhappy while sleeping with Ram and Kimber? Obviously she likes Sean and wants to be with him. But she acts out in very dangerous ways. Eden is just very insecure and obviously had a suspect upbringing. Next week, I fully expect that everyone will find out what she did to Julia (if it was her that poisoned Julia), and she'll go into her darkest place yet. Not sure if she will survive the season, but I kind of like that she likes Sean.

    There are a lot of uneven and/or unexplained things in this season so far that I actually think won't be explained. It's not that bad though. At least it's interesting again.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kraylith

    kraylith

    [24]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 09/27/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 280

    ... omg... shawn and eden might have had an actual chance... damn... coleen is very quickly rising up in my hat list, she's nearly up there with kimber now...

    the whole eden, ram, kimber thing is just f***ed up...

    but phew, might shawn be in danger now?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tjaman

    tjaman

    [25]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 16,306
    The bigger the dick, the greater the confidence.

    Easily one of Christian's best monologues, I was thinking that evening was going to be just a little bit more awkward for him.

    I was sure one of Lulu's petals was going already to have encountered the dessert he served.

    See, I haven't forgotten that Christian earlier this season was banging cougars for cash and I was thinking that this was where they were going to revisit that storyline, which otherwise seems to have gone nowhere.

    But the pitting of plastic surgeons against one another (honestly, who brought Dr. I-Don't-Get-It to the table? His clearly goes inside of him when he stands up ) was fun.

    As for what he did to Lulu, I was thinking that this would be one of those situations when he'd absolutely call Sean into the consult, because Christian may have a 10-inch dick, but it's about as useful with a 10-blade as mine is.

    Lulu's bipolar consult pairs up with Bliss's "OMG!" call as peeling back the layers to reveal the truth. Lulu was so convincing. She was lucid and made historical references and wanted to reveal her feline nature within. When what she needed to reveal was her illness within. It's just too bad that Christian didn't sit her down in front of the computer and generate a few potential images, rather than just winging it, which is what he seemed to be doing (pausing the surgery to peer at different pictures of cats seems like he's winging it).

    However, I do not think Linda and Liz would abandon this poor woman. If anything they'd stay there to document the things they observed him doing. And Lulu couldn't sue even if she signed the agreement while manic. Anyway, the request was so ridiculous he should've sent her packing to the Doublemint Docs.

    Sean, meanwhile, is saddled with his own pack of grannies in trying to save Eden from herself. I'm not 100 percent clear on how Eden came to be hanging out with -- oh wait. I just posted "Eden came" -- anyway, how she came to be hanging out with Kimber and Ram in the first place, but frankly this is exactly the kind of thing she needed to be in rehab for. The crappy life decisions she's making, and the time she ought to take to explore them.

    Her entire approach to life is just a little bit too Blanche Dubois, and Sean just can't resist giving kindness to stange girls. He seems to want to save her, but we all saw his id foaming at the mouth earlier this season, suggesting that he just basically wants to shag her.

    And so he'll hack away at a few GILFs and she's still in bed with Kimber and Ram.

    Oh, life is not going well for Kimber. She and Julia should get together and form a support group: Women In Crappy Lighting. I loved her porn scene with Eden, tho. Very hot. But clearly if she's smacking her hard enough to bust an orbital, Kimber built up some serious rage for this girl.

    Stemming from Ram's solicitous nature, perhaps.

    Wonder what Jemma's up to. And Matt and Rachel. And Annie. And Conor. And oh, hey, how about Julia and her main squeeze Olivia?

    Hush, we'll get to them next season. Right now a crazy lady is bleeding all over Sean's apartment. If that's even her blood, and I shudder to think who else's it might be (has anyone seen Wilber or Lipo today?)

    That was an excellent reveal. Stripped of her agent persona, Colleen in little bear ears was a mild fluffikins. I wonder why she pretended to be an agent when frankly it's usually enough for someone like her (a fan who escapes the studio tour) to make a bear and have the star sign it or something. My guess is Lulu's not the only one off her meds.

    Revealing the inner truth. That everyone in L.A. is completely insane.

    .
    Edited on 02/07/2008 7:07am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RebeccaDeWinter

    RebeccaDeWinter

    [26]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 07/09/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 19
    Grammaton-Cleric wrote:

    The real clincher however wasChristian doing the "cat surgery". That whole subplot was beyond asinine. Firstly, he is convinced to perform the surgery because his ego is stroked by the patient. She calls him an artist; a sculptor in the tradition of the Renaissance artists. It's such an obvious and cliché bit of praise and yet Christian, who has been portrayed as a master manipulator of other people, completely swallows this transparent play on his vanity.

    I am someone who has been to a cosmetic surgeon & I have to disagree with this statement. My surgeon was a manipulator extraordinaire, and considered himself a master sculptor, etc. And oh yes, very vain. But I am the one who controlled him, through his vanity. So yes, it does happen in real life!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tjaman

    tjaman

    [27]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 16,306
    You just reminded me of that scene in "Julia McNamara" where they played Kim Carnes' "You're So Vain."

    Yummy memory. Thank you.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Grammaton-Cleric

    Grammaton-Cleric

    [28]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 05/08/02
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 70
    RebeccaDeWinter wrote:
    Grammaton-Cleric wrote:

    The real clincher however wasChristian doing the "cat surgery". That whole subplot was beyond asinine. Firstly, he is convinced to perform the surgery because his ego is stroked by the patient. She calls him an artist; a sculptor in the tradition of the Renaissance artists. It's such an obvious and cliché bit of praise and yet Christian, who has been portrayed as a master manipulator of other people, completely swallows this transparent play on his vanity.

    I am someone who has been to a cosmetic surgeon & I have to disagree with this statement. My surgeon was a manipulator extraordinaire, and considered himself a master sculptor, etc. And oh yes, very vain. But I am the one who controlled him, through his vanity. So yes, it does happen in real life!

    Fair enough. If you say it happened, I believe you.

    I think what bothered me more about the espisode however was Christian not bothering to check her medical history; that seems hard to swallow. Any surgeon is going to check patient history before a surgery for obvious reasons and he would have seen the mental health meds she was on.

    Also, to be fair, I think Christian is a little too smart to be so easily and obviously manipulated but hey, you could be right. Vanity is quite a flaw.

    Edited on 02/07/2008 1:42pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tjaman

    tjaman

    [29]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 16,306
    Specifically his.

    You could answer the annual fuel requirements for a small nation with his ego.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of EJnMe

    EJnMe

    [30]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 01/29/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 15
    tjaman wrote:
    You just reminded me of that scene in "Julia McNamara" where they played Kim Carnes' "You're So Vain."

    Yummy memory. Thank you.


    Carly Simon did "You're So Vain." Kim Carnes did "Bette Davis Eyes"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tjaman

    tjaman

    [31]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 16,306
    Oops.

    Still, great song and great scene.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of straightwisted

    straightwisted

    [32]Feb 9, 2008
    • member since: 02/10/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 8
    Are they suggesting that Colleen is a cannibal? Is that how she disposes the bodies? (I'm using a plural there because I have a feeling she's not new to killing.) There have been hints to that in the last two episodes.

    Kim Carnes's "More Love" is one of my favorite songs. Just saying. I hadn't thought about her for a long time.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tjaman

    tjaman

    [33]Feb 9, 2008
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 16,306
    I didn't get any hint that she ate them. Just killed them. And I agree there's probably more than one. That agent guy seemed to get really agitated by something off screen just before getting stuffed.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Greeza

    Greeza

    [34]Feb 10, 2008
    • member since: 01/25/08
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 25
    I liked this episode, definately a step up from the previous. I like the direction the Colleen storyline is going in. This episode reminded me of why I love this show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of straightwisted

    straightwisted

    [35]Feb 10, 2008
    • member since: 02/10/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 8
    Well, with the cannibal storyline the week before (showing her actually murdering someone...then no body to be found) Accusing her victim of eating people alive. Then this last week she said to Sean while looking at Bliss: "This momma lion could eat your little p*ssy cat publicist for lunch, if she wanted to." I get the feeling somethings there. Then again, could be totally wrong.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shawnlunn2002

    shawnlunn2002

    [36]Feb 12, 2008
    • member since: 06/06/05
    • level: 41
    • rank: Sleestack
    • posts: 3,100
    I don't know. The last two episodes were great but this one wasn't really up to scratch in comparison.

    All season long Christian has being trying to compete Sean and it's gotten tiresome. When Kimber and Colleen both goaded him about his lack of talent he responded by taking on Lulu.

    A bunch of boring society bints with more money than sense and Lulu proved that when she wanted to look like Garfield. I know Christian is desperate to better himself than Sean but does that have to go beyond putting his own medical licence at risk.

    The society bints were right to lay into him. Even if Lulu hadn't turned out to be bipolar, surely Christian should've had the sense to check her medical records to be safe. Scrap that - he should've called her bluff and told her to get lost.

    Eden and the porn industry. Non shock of the episode. Her and Kimber's little video looked more tasteful than the repulsive sex scenes we've had to go through in the last few seasons.

    Sean is a dolt for Eden and Eden knows it. Ram was able to make a fool out of Sean by getting him to operate on the grannies. Much as I hate Kimber, I see an abusive side to Ram. He's arguably too controlling with her medication and the fact that she can only do sex scenes with women now. Eden continuing because she believes that Sean doesn't care for her - am I supposed to pity her because I don't.

    Colleen came and went too quickly. I felt bad for her even when Bliss exposed her as a teddy bear saleslady. She won my respect for telling Eden that Sean doesn't feel for her. If only that was actually true.

    The lack of Julia once again was a tonic but the lack of Liz doing something constructive is beyond taking the biscuit. 7/10.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tguedry82

    tguedry82

    [37]Feb 12, 2008
    • member since: 12/14/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 161

    I haven't gotten to comment on this episode until today, but I did love it! I think having Kimber and Eden battle it out to be the biggest b**** of Nip/Tuck is actually pretty brilliant! Although I agree with a few others, there's no way she could have blown her eye socket or whatever with just one girlie punch; but hey, what other reason would they have to harass Sean!

    I thought the socialites story was pretty weird, but funny. I disagree with alot of people though on this whole "turn me into a cat" thing...I mean, don't get me wrong, he definitely should have checked her medical history as all docs should, but there are alot of big freaks out there in real life that have themselves turned into animal art. I mean, there's a guy out there that had his tongue cut to be a lizard, and had scales tattooed on his body, there are plenty of weirdos that actually have leopard spots tattooed on and get whisker implants; so having someone come in and want to be a cat, especially one that looks like a cat fanatic, shouldn't seem totally outrageous. Again though, he def. should have checked just in case!

    Colleen man...she is just crazy, and I can't wait to see them finally find out she has a stuffed agent in her apt (or dumpster or wherever she hid him) Someone else said they thought it might not be her blood, and that is totally possible with that whack job! She might have killed Ms. Bliss and rubbed her blood all over herself and the bodies in Sean's bed or something...crazy!!

    I am so excited about tonight's episode, I'm so ready to see the smack-down to come when Julia finds out Eden was poisoning her!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.