Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

5.13 "August Walden" Episode Discussion

LostSux

[1]Feb 10, 2008
    • level: 6

Here's the episode summary for this week..............

"Sean experiences the ugly side of Hollywood in the form of a television critic. Matt experiences a special bond with one of Christian's patients. The cause of Julia's ailing health is discovered. "

It's about time they got back to Matt. They've ignored him for long enough. There have been so many subplots. Too many subplots, actually. The writers should have left out a few characters this season so they could flesh out some of the more main plots this season. They haven't dealt with Sean's daughter being promiscuous. They haven't dealt with Connor's other hand( or Connor at all). Sean was engaged and broken up all inside of two episodes. Christian was a man-whore, then he wasn't. Annie had an impending eating disorder, then she disappeared. Sean had a growing bond with Aiden Stone, and they never explored it. Christian had no residual guilt over Gina. She died, there was a funeral, and suddenly it was like she never came out to L.A. to begin with. Christian didn't hallucinate about her. Sean didn't hallucinate about Escobar. They need to start bringing finality to all these plots starting with this episode so that they won't seem rushed in the finale. It's not like this season has sucked. It's been non-stop hilarity every episode!

But the sub-plots have started and stopped, and started again and stopped again. Maybe all this is happening because there was supposed to be 22 episodes, and they had to cut it back to a mini-series in a pinch? I don't know. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the progression of Matt's relationship with Rachel (or whoever Christian's patient is).

Edited on 02/10/2008 12:35pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

randan02

[2]Feb 10, 2008
    • level: 10
    LostSux wrote:

They haven't dealt with Connor's other hand( or Connor at all).

It doesn't matter what their rationalization, or how they spin it; it makes NO SENSE to have a world-class plastic surgeon for a father, and for his son to have a messed-up hand. They wouldn't even TRY to sell such an excuse in "Young & the Restless".

tjaman

[3]Feb 10, 2008
    • level: 32
    Well, Julia talked to a little person and to a happy ectodactylist and was all about seeing inner beauty and anyway the surgery made Conor cry.

(yeah, of course it did -- they should've gone for it anyway).
    Edited on 02/10/2008 2:04pm

BenoitFan989

[4]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 6
    I agree this year they really havent been continuing on storylines. Too bad. Well I hope the series improves next season.

WaywardUsername

[5]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 11
    HOLY $HIT that did not just happen lmfao sad part is i can still see matt falling "in love" because he is so effed up!

MarkAntony787

[6]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 3
    Goodbye Julia. I can't believe next weeks episode may be the last of Nip/tuck for good, since the writers strike totally screwed up production.

Nursetiffany

[7]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 9
    Wow.....and that is all I can say.....Wow

SMGslayer97

[8]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 34
    Wow..I mean that was...wow. I was so shocked by Matt's little encounter with little miss Cleveland (I can not remember her name for the life of me). I mean wow, I so did not see that coming. I nearly jumped out of my chair.

Somehow though I have this tiny thought in the back of my head that maybe it might not be true, I mean they might not be related. :gulp: Right?

Man Matt sure can't catch a break in the relationship department then again he seemed almost totall okay with the situation. Apparently he's got bigger issues then having a bad go of it with the ladies, a lot bigger.

AtlantaGuy

[9]Feb 12, 2008
    Yay for confronting attempted murderer before contacing police.

tjaman

[10]Feb 12, 2008
    AtlantaGuy wrote:
    Yay for confronting attempted murderer before contacing police.

Mercury poisoning makes people irrational. It's one of the symptoms.

FanOfDegrassi

[11]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 26
    WOW!!!!! That's all I have to say.

crimsonmiss

[13]Feb 12, 2008
    MarkAntony787 wrote:
    Goodbye Julia. I can't believe next weeks episode may be the last of Nip/tuck for good, since the writers strike totally screwed up production.

Next week is the finale for Season 5. There are at least 8 more episodes still to be filmed. So Season 6 may be a bit short, but it's coming...

tunabech

[14]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 9
    If the writers are gonna be true to consistency Julia isn't going to die. If you remember the Conor McNamara episode in the future you see Julia there still alive. That being said I can't stand her and I hope this is her last episode.

tjaman

[15]Feb 12, 2008
    The overarching theme for "August Walden" seems to be "Out of the frying pan, into the fire."

+ Sean confronts a critic about the terrible things he's written about him only to discover that he's a hideous gnome. He transforms the hideous ball of self-hatred into a handsome ball of self-hatred, but on the first day out with the new face, another victim of Walden's venomous pen steps forth and douses him with scalding hot coffee.

+ Julia is more or less forgiven for her dalliance with Christian (Ollie's face was hard to read, but she did stay with her and help her) and is finally diagnosed correctly and confirms what Eden's been dosing her with -- mercury. Sadly, mercury poisoning makes people irrational and Julia confronts her the moment she gets off the phone with the lab. Eden seems both to gloat and to relent (I've never seen anyone relent and gloat at the same time -- that was one weird set of lines) but ultimately grabs a gun and as the screen goes dark, appears to shoot Julia at close range.

+ Amy spends her life savings crossing the country to have a port wine stain removed by a man she suspects may be her father (good thing Christian didn't try to leap into bed with her, which is his usual gratuity for pro bono work) and instantly feels a zillion times better about herself.

Hold that thought.

+ Rachel confronts Matt about how she's not in love with him. She rightly diagnoses him as seeking fulfillment, acceptance and approval from exterior sources, but that he needs to focus inward and make peace with himself. He's like "Whatever, dude, I may be unfulfilled but you're ugly," snaps his fingers at Amy and discovers an instant connection.

... before learning how connected they truly are. That she may, in fact, be his half-sister.

Charming. She's worried about the possibility of freak babies. Freak babies? With Michael Jackson's previously conjoined twin? Nonsense! You two run along and bump like bunnies.

Amy better say something to Christian soon because it'll take time to get psychologically unbunged in time for holiday gatherings.

And here we're all thinking finally, Matt meets someone who seems genuinely well and wholesome and charming and she's Princess Leia.

I'd say "Of all the gin joints in all the world" except that you can probably throw a stone in any stadium and hit a bastard child of Christian Troy.

I for one don't believe Sean looks like a paper bag. Though Julia's looking a bit worse for wear.

You suppose that was an android in 2026?

Nah, it was probably a clone.

I will say this, that mercury sure did a number on her. Julia seems to have completely forgotten walking in on damn' near the exact same scene back in "Mandi/Randi." She should rent the first season and rewatch it. She was pretty good back then.

Her exchange with Christian was a little warmed over, but honestly, she's meant to be playing half past dead so by the time we got to her ill-advised but hate-fueled confrontation with Eden, she looked like she'd found a little of that fire again.

I think my favorite part, however, was Murph's thinly-veiled depiction of Internet critics -- detractors in particular.

Delicious.

Dr_Chaos_Fox

[16]Feb 12, 2008

I doubt the writers are going to let themselves be held back by a episode that highlighted just one possible future when it comes to the possibility of killing off a cast member.

The future is changing all the time, I don't ever remember anyone saying Connor McNamara 2026 was written in stone.

tjaman

[17]Feb 12, 2008
    Dr_Chaos_Fox wrote:

I doubt the writers are going to let themselves be held back by a episode that highlighted just one possible future when it comes to the possibility of killing off a cast member.

The future is changing all the time, I don't ever remember anyone saying Connor McNamara 2026 was written in stone.

It's in the S4 DVD set.

Until we see a casket and a headstone, it's just as canon as "Adelle Coffin" or "Agatha Ripp."

Heck, we even saw Christian's funeral in "Momma Boone" and that turned out to be a dream sequence, so ... * shrug *

Edited on 02/12/2008 10:34pm
    Edited 2 total times.

tjaman

[18]Feb 12, 2008
    P.S. -- I loved the highlights of Matt's screwed-up love life in the "Previously on" segment of the show. That was fun.

EDIT: Also appreciated the mention of the Hedda Grubman fund. Although it got me to wondering about another thing: Didn't she have a daughter? Or was her daughter's cancer terminal. Because I'm so thrown by no one attending her funeral. That was so sad.

Well, at least some good has come out of it -- if you can call the sort of "family reunion" we saw tonight a good thing.

Edited on 02/12/2008 11:02pm

RebeccaDeWinter

[19]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 1
    tjaman wrote:
    I think my favorite part, however, was Murph's thinly-veiled depiction of Internet critics -- detractors in particular. Delicious.
    God, I love Ryan Murphy!

domedrtroy

[20]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 1

I have loved this whole season!

It's classic Nip/Tuck all the way. You never find yourself bored. You always find yourself saying "NO THEY DIDN'T!" and this last episode lived up to true form. You will laugh (that stuffed teddy bear/agent had me laughing).....what a way to go. And ya gotta love Gina getting f**k$d to death so to speak..........by Christian as she says "this is love". And they always had that love/hate till the end. I am so tired of all the comments about what happened to who? How did this thing happen? Where is so and so? Who cares? Are you new here? Ever watched the show before? Ever seen people so flawed and yet redeemable to someone in some way? Great writing. Gina's funeral........so fun. Rock on writers! Can't wait for the last episode, but I am not ready for it to end. Can't wait for the return, because unless you have Showtime or something............there isn't much to view but FOX and at least they get we are tired so the same old formula. (Damages, Nip/Tuck, The Riches.......push that envelope!)