TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

5.13 "August Walden" Episode Discussion

Nursetiffany

[61]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 9
    You know I've been thinking.....Apart from Matt and Amy being brother and sister, this might be as close to a normal relationship that Matt will probably ever find. I mean I'm not say incest is right but come on we are talking about Matt.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jmmaria

[62]Feb 15, 2008
    • level: 5

I wondered about Julia confronting Eden in a weakened state with no backup. I thought it was just bad writing but the mercury poisoning explanation makes sense.

Since her two exes are plastic surgeons, I thought that she would end up in surgery (like someone else mentioned) and that there would be some kind of plot complication, e.g., she is disfigured; they make her look different; she has brain trauma; etc; etc.

We shall see...

And as for Matt and his sister...that kid is a hot mess (as in the vernacular use of the phrase, not as in he is hot.) Well, if she's into him, more power to them both. That plot line is no crazier than ANY of the others.

I think the Colleen character was just Ryan Murphy's way of getting back at someone. I don't think she'll be back (though who knows...?)

Edited on 02/15/2008 12:49pm
    Edited 2 total times.

LostSux

[63]Feb 15, 2008
    • level: 6
    I think Matt should just see where it goes with his sis. It's sickening, I know. But that is the closest to a normal relationship he has ever had. Besides incest is all the rage with the upper class. A little realistic-ness wouldn't hurt the show.

Page_47

[64]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 11
    Don't normally comment on episodes (I just read all your posts ) but...

I thought Joely Richardson knocked it out of the PARK this episode. I've been in and out of the hate camp for her since season 4, when she seemed to be a shadow of her former self (probably because of the distracting situation with her daughter). But then in season 5 I thought she was brilliant. I guess there's just something about the way she talks and acts that people either like or find irritating. I don't think she sounds British at all, and has a very rich and noticeable way of delivering her lines.
    Anyway, I really hope she's not dead. And, as an Alias veteran, I'm pretty weary of death scenes where you don't actually see the death. I think the shock of her dying would provide a more dramatic ending to the episode than a will-she-won't-she cliffhanger which may cheapen it if she does kick it.
    Her decision to confront Eden without calling the police etc. was perfectly justified by Eden coming in and offering her tea when she knew the truth - Eden's hyena-like mug is enough to send anyone into a frenzy (however you interpret that). I hope Julia survives but needs surgery leading to another 'Julia McNamara' style episode which might give the writers an excuse to bring back Ava as a hallucination.

Questions:
    What happened to Coleen?
    Why play that really cool 'Matt is so F'd up' sequence in the previously and then just continue his character in the same way, something we could have predicted without the sequence?

WHAT WAS EDEN WEARING in that last scene? If any of you get a chance, look at her trousers. She looks like she's secretly wearing fly jumpers under those massive flairs, and gold? It was like she was a Christmas decoration.

And finally, I read a while ago that N/T was getting 3 more seasons, but now I hear season 6 (only 8 eps) may be the last. Is this true (aimed at tjaman or someone equally competent)?

crimsonmiss

[65]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 3

LostSux wrote:
    I think Matt should just see where it goes with his sis. It's sickening, I know. But that is the closest to a normal relationship he has ever had. Besides incest is all the rage with the upper class. A little realistic-ness wouldn't hurt the show.

LOL! If it's good enough for royalty then it's good enough for Matty

crimsonmiss

[66]Feb 16, 2008
    Page_47 wrote:
    snip And finally, I read a while ago that N/T was getting 3 more seasons, but now I hear season 6 (only 8 eps) may be the last. Is this true (aimed at tjaman or someone equally competent)?
    My competency is questionable :-), but Ryan Murphy posted on Niptuckforum that we will get at least 8 more episodes (Season 6). However, whether he decides to go beyond the 8 more episodes is up in the air.

tjaman

[67]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 32
    I hadn't heard anything specifically. A long time ago I was impressed to hear that he planned to do at least five seasons and maybe more, and I know that the split of S5 is mostly due to the writers strike, so S6 seems like kind of an epilogue. But I suppose he'll continue doing this for as long as he likes.

P.S. -- The people who are disagreeing with my review can come in here and discuss their disagreements in more detail.

Page_47

[68]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 11
    crimsonmiss wrote:
    Page_47 wrote:
    snip And finally, I read a while ago that N/T was getting 3 more seasons, but now I hear season 6 (only 8 eps) may be the last. Is this true (aimed at tjaman or someone equally competent)?
    My competency is questionable :-), but Ryan Murphy posted on Niptuckforum that we will get at least 8 more episodes (Season 6). However, whether he decides to go beyond the 8 more episodes is up in the air.

Cheers to you and tjaman I hope Murphy will stick at it as I think he's shown serious ability in keeping a long running show fresh that many other show runners have seemed to lack (COUGH COUGH - Tim Kring - COUGH COUGH).

justinwestnet

[69]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 17
    What a great episode. I enjoyed all the plotlines and am even more excited about the finale. I am thinking maybe Emmy isn't really Matt's sister which means she'll be dissapointed and leave or she'll continue to be with Matt. I have only seen seasons 4 and 5 but from what i can tell he needs a good relationship and she's pretty cute. I bet Julie doesn't die and I bet Colleen is in the body bag. It seems like Sean decided to call an ambulance and save her but how she got to him is beyond me. Either way some major closure next season.

tjaman

[70]Feb 16, 2008
    I don't know why I'm thinking Georgia is too hip and metropolitan to be ok with half-siblings -- somehow I was thinking Kentucky more. But what was up with that incest site? First, Matt found it pretty fast. And it's kind of like "Don't tell mom, but we've got a web site in which we talk about, y'know, doin' it."

Although it's not an absolute first for this show. Ava was the closest thing to a mother figure Adrien had and they did the nasty, so ...

Edited on 02/16/2008 5:25pm

alfredolozada

[71]Feb 17, 2008
    Sory but i dont know if you noticed but when matt is looking for informacion abaout brother sister relationships, a cuples picture is shown and the woman in the picture is Eden Lord, i was supriced nobady noticing it, maybe thats the reason she is so effed up.

ayanami42

[72]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 6
    alfredolozada wrote:
    Sory but i dont know if you noticed but when matt is looking for informacion abaout brother sister relationships, a cuples picture is shown and the woman in the picture is Eden Lord, i was supriced nobady noticing it, maybe thats the reason she is so effed up.

Are you sure? I mean it could be.... butI dunno.

tjaman

[73]Feb 18, 2008
    This is seriously starting to piss me off. Four disagree? What's wrong with my review?

randan02

[74]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 10
    tjaman wrote:
    This is seriously starting to piss me off. Four disagree? What's wrong with my review?
    What review?

tjaman

[75]Feb 18, 2008
    The one in the episode guide, and then it's recounted in Post No. 15 of this thread as well so people can comment on it directly if it's so off the mark.

EDIT: Of course, I've been on other forums ("dirt," for instance) where if you've rated the episode one decimal point higher or lower than someone else thinks it should be they hit "disagree" and it's like whoa, I don't think that's what that's for, so ... it might be something as stupid as that.

Edited on 02/18/2008 10:16pm
    Edited 2 total times.

shawnlunn2002

[76]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 41
    Just saw it last night, better than I expected but ahem.

Sean if ever there was a need for him to be gagged, then that quip about August's features probably was it. Granted Sean was trying to defend himself and August did use Sean's criticism to get work but even still, it irked me for some reason.

Words are a powerful for August. Sean's was enough to get him to work done on his face but it turned out that trashing a bad actor was also enough to get his faced ruined yet again.

Christian revelling in Sean's bad review was pathetic but all season he's behaved badly about Sean's success. At least Liz tried to protect Sean's feelings.

I liked Kate's reappearance in this episode and I'm half wondering whether or not she might give Sean another go. He did apologise for his bad treatment and that was a good thing.

Christian was especially rotten to Julia. Granted she needed to realise that he's a waste of space but he really didn't give a damn that she was ill. How is he behaving like that?

Olivia's scenes in this episode were crap. She's been gone for the past four episodes and the writers couldn't have bothered to have given her a decent plot.

Yay for Julia figuring out that it was Eden poisoning her with Mercury. The gun shot at the end was great. Julia shouldn't have confronted Eden alone. She should've done it with Sean and Olivia there. Will she live? Matt was a right little prick in this episode. Rachel basically did him (as well as herself) a favour by not entering a relationship with him and he attacks her. Now he's screwing Emme who might be his sister. Yuck doesn't cover it.

Fingers crossed this midseason finale compensates some of the disjointedness of this season. 8/10.

tjaman

[77]Feb 19, 2008
    Yeah, Christian was just generally awful. But it makes a weird sort of "n/t" sense that he couldn't make it work with Julia. So long as a woman is perfect, Christian's happy as a clam. As soon as she becomes in any way human (Natasha's blindness damaging his pretty car, for instance, or Julia being sick and not MILFy) she no longer conforms to the fantasy and he's off screwing the receptionist.

The only one this pattern doesn't apply to perfectly is Kimber, since he still loved her after her Carver assault. But in that case, she left him -- for Scientology and his son.

The flake.

Edited on 02/19/2008 8:42am

Grammaton-Cleric

[78]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 4

I actually liked it, despite some glaring logic holes.

Julia confronting Eden rather than simply calling the police made no sense. She had the presence of mind to send the cake to the lab so why confront Eden once she had the results? Why not make a phone call or get out of the apartment?

Also, unless Eden is some sort of forensics expert, she would have a hard time selling that as a suicide.

The whole Matt sleeping with his sister thing was really, really silly. Their decision to possibly pursue a releationship seems even more ridiculous, especially given how little they know of each other. If they had enjoyed a longer relationship and then found out six months later that would at least make some sense but right now it just seems that Matt has become little more than the clown of the show; always doing something stupid.

I also don't get Christian's total disregard for Julia's well being.

But it moved fast and I'm generally curious as to the finale.

Grammaton-Cleric

[79]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 4

tjaman wrote:
    Yeah, Christian was just generally awful. But it makes a weird sort of "n/t" sense that he couldn't make it work with Julia. So long as a woman is perfect, Christian's happy as a clam. As soon as she becomes in any way human (Natasha's blindness damaging his pretty car, for instance, or Julia being sick and not MILFy) she no longer conforms to the fantasy and he's off screwing the receptionist. .

That's actually a pretty good explanation for why he's treating her so badly.

tjaman

[80]Feb 19, 2008
    Well, on one level, Emme is self-selected. She combined information she had from her mom with some Googling and found out that the Hedda Grubman fund (ta-dah!) took her directly to a possible family reunion (although she couldn't be sure). Matt wasn't introduced as Christian's son iirc, but was himself a little motivated by Rachel's rejection and Christian presenting her as, basically, someone else to date.

Why she didn't bring up the possibility that she was Christian's daughter during any of their time together -- that's what seems like a stretch to me. I mean, she crossed the country and she won't be able to stay there indefinitely, so what was she waiting for, I wonder?

That and -- ok, honestly, my love life has never been as frakked up as Matty's, but my first reaction to learning I might be shagging my half-sister is to stop, not go online and see if eight or nine other people might be doing so as well and so pretend it's "normal."

Hell, Matt, Annie's just in the other room and she's all experienced now. Go for it!