Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

AVA's LOUNGE - Official Off-Topic Thread

tjaman

[101]Aug 28, 2006
    • level: 32
    Indeed! Nuck, it's not too early in the day for an Amber Bock. (tip)

* clink * Cheers!

* sip * I'm preordered on Amazon, so let's see how long my S3-deeveedees take to get here.

* holds breath *

* falls over *

* thud *

Edited on 08/28/2006 11:15am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dezigner4web

[102]Aug 28, 2006
    • level: 17

I preordered Veronica Mars and it came on the day it was released. (From Amazon).
    So ... here's hoping!

I'm pre-occupied with Weeds right now ... too bad their forum looks lame.

tjaman

[103]Aug 29, 2006
    Amazon said my copy will be here Thursday or Friday so I'm still looking forward to that, along with my copy of the "Rescue Me" soundtrack, which will kick ass.

SEVEN DAYS!

S4 is practically here, guys, and I couldn't be droolier.

tjaman

[104]Aug 29, 2006
    Two N/T pieces in this week's TVGUIDE -- a lovely two-page spread with great interviews and comments, and some really wonderful things to be watching for, and then a Rousch Review.

I don't always agree with Rousch, but he describes the entire show is an hourlong ickfest. And then discusses the solemn subtlety with which it explores the human condition and the tyranny of beauty and glamour in this society.

And then relegates it right back to ick-fest.

This show seems sadly doomed to such critique. It's like viewers insist they're seeing all and only what is there to see -- every one of them with an all-encompassing view. It's either all completely inappropriate and tawdry slash-and-screw shudderfest, or it's the one show that's staring at the Maybelline ads in between its segments and saying out loud "You've got to be kidding me."

My view is that the show uses powerful and graphic imagery to tell incredibly poignant stories about people whose frailties and inner brokenness seeps through occasionally flawless veneers and vice versa -- inner strength that occasionally transcends flawed exteriors (by whatever measure or understanding).

Yes, it creeps us out. Yes, telling those stories in this manner is going to.

But thank G-d someone is, because the Nanette Babcocks of this world need to have a voice as well, and this show gives it to them.

Sure, some people watch the show mainly for the raunch and for the graphic visuals, and some for the personalities and incredible storytelling and character arcs. Those are there too, in spades.

But to dismiss "Nip/Tuck" as shocking and icky -- or worse, nothing more than a collection of cheap, perverse and disgusting theatrics cashing in on such -- is, in my opinion, to completely miss the point.

Hey ... where'd this soapbox come from, anyway?

Xx_King_Beef_xX

[105]Aug 29, 2006
    • level: 10

Oh the anticipation. If only there was anything I watch on tv until then now that "The 4400" ended on Sunday.

tjaman

[106]Aug 29, 2006
    Oddly.

(actually, I enjoyed it, but this was the first year I watched it. Other people -- 4400Forum people -- didn't seem to care for this season all that much).

tjaman

[107]Aug 30, 2006
    wed
    thu
    fri
    sat
    sun
    mon
    TUE

We're within a WEEK!

Oh, this is going to be pleasant.

Nuck! Dump some Bailey's in some espresso, please. * sip * Nice!

* sip * I got some iffy news, tho -- the shipping dates expanded on me and I might not get my copy til next month.

* shakes fist at sky * Damn you, AMAZON!

Meh, I'm not that worried. I might still get it this week. It's just jeez, guys, if something is preordered I wouldn't have anticipated the actual shipping of it seeming like such a, y'know, surprise.

* sip * For now, however, I'm just really excited about the premiere, and so looking forward to it.

dezigner4web

[108]Aug 30, 2006

When did it release? Well I get mine so fast, but it helps that I live in the city of the Amazon distribution center.

Bones airs tonight ... I think I'll watch, just to see what they're up to. I lost pulse with that show last year. But now I'm more or less on Joss withdrawl, and maybe just getting a David B. fix will help with that.

tjaman

[109]Aug 30, 2006
    It released nationwide yesterday, so it would've been really nice to have had it in the mail yesterday, rather than just trundling its way onto the plane yesterday, but you know me. I'm an American. In a nation of WalMarts, one doesn't wait for anything. But I'm saving at least $20 through Amazon so I'll consider that inconvenience money and enjoy about 10 lattes with it.

Yep, I'll be watching "Bones" as well -- depending on the writing this year -- at least until "Lost" comes on in about a month.

Xx_King_Beef_xX

[110]Aug 30, 2006

tjaman wrote:
    (actually, I enjoyed it, but this was the first year I watched it. Other people -- 4400Forum people -- didn't seem to care for this season all that much).

Yeah.. the were somewhat mixed reactions over there. Personally, I thought this season was way better than last season. Especially with Collier back because he has always been my favorite character on that show. Plus, Bill Campbell just kicks serious ass anyways. Next season is going to be friggin' awesome, though, because now the promicin shots are out on the street and everybody that wants to risk death by taking the injections to develop an ability has a chance to do so. Things are going to be totally out of control in season 4.

Edited on 08/30/2006 10:09am

tjaman

[111]Aug 30, 2006
    I get the sense that the chaos is going to be terribly interesting, but that can be tough to write and track storylinewise. I wish them all the best.

Hope your day's going well, Beef. Mine's a little out of hand, but still mostly manageable.

Xx_King_Beef_xX

[112]Aug 30, 2006

Thanks. Mine's been pretty hectic as well. Just finished up some accounts payable that I've been working on here at the office pretty much non-stop for two days straight. At least now I can relax.

Nuck... Hook me up with a White Russian.. and be generous with the vodka.

tjaman

[113]Aug 30, 2006
    Time for a Heineken here, Nuck.

* raises glass * To the fleeting passage of time!

* sip * * sip * * sip *

Xx_King_Beef_xX

[114]Aug 30, 2006

No doubt. Tuesday will be here before we know it. Just saw the first preview that said it was "Tuesday on FX". Much more comforting than hearing "Tuesday September 5th on FX".

dezigner4web

[115]Aug 31, 2006

OH YES! .... I NEEDED THAT!

Thank you Nuck.

tjaman

[116]Aug 31, 2006
    Morning everyone!

thu
    fri
    sat
    sun
    mon

tue!

Nuck! Get me one of those espresso things you've been doing really well, and my friend Beef anything he wants. Oh, and dez too if she stops in. Get her a sangria -- I think she could use one the week she's been having.

[EDIT: Oh -- she's here! Morning dez! ]

* sip * Oh, man, that is good!

I'm in the mood for something grand today. DJ Soul, spinna track for me, something rich and spiritual.

CRAZY by Gnarls Barkley

I remember when, I remember,
    I remember when I lost my mind There was something so crazy about that place Even your emotions had an echo in so much space And when you're out there, without care
    Yeah I was out of touch But it wasn't because I didn't know enough I just knew too much Does that make me crazy? Does that make me crazy? Does that make me crazy? Possibly ...

And I hope that you are havin' the time of your life But think twice, that's my only advice Come on now, who do you, who do you,
    Who do you, who do you think you are?
    Ha ha ha, bless your soul D'you really think you're in control?

Well, I think you're crazy I think you're crazy I think you're crazy Just like me ...

My heroes had the heart to live their lives And all I remember is thinkin' I wanna be like them. Ever since I was little,
    Ever since I was little it looked like fun And it's no coincidence I've come And I can die when I'm done But maybe I'm crazy Maybe you're crazy Maybe we're crazy Probably ...

Oh, nice one, DJ -- great pick! I was in exactly that mood today.

* sip * Hope everyone's having a good one.

Edited on 08/31/2006 8:02am

tjaman

[117]Aug 31, 2006
    That margarita actually looks really good. Nuck! Have a red version of that ready poolside at 12:01.

dezigner4web

[118]Aug 31, 2006

Hi Tj,

Oh sure, I'll take a glass of sangria ...  ... maybe just leave the bottle. You know it's in keeping with the Mexico drinking theme I've got going on this morning.

Busy, and troublesome day ... is it Friday yet?

Xx_King_Beef_xX

[119]Aug 31, 2006

Thanks tj.

*Orders an extra spicy bloody mary*

*sips* Ahhhhhhhh. What a great way to start the day.

Gotta agree that I would love for it to be Friday instead of Thursday. I'm definitely looking forward to the long weekend. I could use it after the week I've been having here at work.

dezigner4web

[120]Aug 31, 2006

Nuck you're the best! I already have a work related headache, I may as well get toasted and enjoy it.