Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread S5x16: "Gene Shelly" - 01/13/09 (spoilers)

So ... how was it?

tjaman

[1]Jan 13, 2009
    • level: 32
    Discuss this one here.
    Edited on 01/13/2009 8:17pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hmnut7

[2]Jan 13, 2009
    • level: 12
    I thought it was okay.

I liked the stuff with Liz and Christian until the end, them getting together seemed really sweet at first, after all their years of bickering in the end they were very close, but then Christian acting like an ass about it really through me. Maybe they will give it more depth.

I did love the very end with Christian telling Sean he does not have to get out of the chair because he knows Sean has spent his whole life taking care of others, and then Sean gets out of the chair to be there for Christian. I thought that as one of the best scenes since around season 1 or 2, and goes back to the root of the show that of it being about these two less than perfect doctors who no matter what they do are there for each other even if they are not there for anyone else.

Then there is Raj (or what ever his name is) I am already finding him annoying beyond belief. How does the FCC even let them get away with that. Is he suppose to be Indian or is he some kind of Indian from another planet because he does not talk like a real person who is from India or the planet Earth, he talks more like he should be an alien on Star Trek. "They had sexual intercourse" "why do you choose rub your vagina against the vagina of another person of your gender." No one, in any culture, actually talks like that. Only Americans when making fun of other cultures talk like that.

micmol25

[3]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 3
    Here are my thoughts on the episode.

http://michaelmoller.com/wordpress/archives/487

kraylith

[4]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 10
    The patient couple was just.... weeeeeiiiirrrddd.

Raj - annoying as ever, his scene talking with Liz was okay though.

Christian.... taking advantage of Liz was.... WTF?!

Christian talking to Sean at the end was great. I think to some extent he did it to get him out of the chair but I think he actually meant it. While his cancer must be terrible for him and he may feel somewhat betrayed by Sean because he refuses to do his surgery, he also wants to give Sean this "break". I'm glad though that Sean finally decided to stop it and come through for Christian.

Kimber... argl.... HATE HER! DIE ALREADY! damn... I hate this character so much, she's been too f*cking annoying for too f*cking long.
    After what she went through with the Carver she pulls this sh*t... get rid of her already ffs.

tguedry82

[5]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 9

So I know I might be in a minority for this, but this episode actually changed my mind about Raj, I thought he was hilarious in the beginning when he opened the new case, and then when he had the serious talk with Liz about sexuality, it was touching and he was sweet for the first time. I might be coming around to him.

The non twin twins were totally creepy! I guess they were thrown in to go along with all the "sexual confusion" but man...ugh!

Ok, so the Liz and Christian sex scene...I do agree with others that it was quiet awkward to watch, I was sitting there thinking,"wow this is weird, does she like it, is it pity, hmm" but then, yes she totally liked it, and yes he was totally awake for it after we see his eye pop open and his tiny little cheese eatin' grin! Then the morning after scene was IMO one of the funniest moments on the show this season (including last years stuff as well) When Christian did his little jig while admitting that he got his mojo back, I loved it! I didn't think it was too much for him at all, it was actually him being a little playful to me, lol. I don't think we've seen the last of them two together! Wouldn't it be interesting if she got a second chance at carrying Christian's child after this? Hmmm

Ok, I have loathed Kimber in the past, but she has hit an all time low this time! I mean, don't get me wrong, she totally has a point that he has treated alot of women, especially her, like some serious dirt. However, like everyone else has said, when she has been at her worst: after the carver, after her coke addiction ruined her nose, after her 2nd run with drugs messed her up again...I really cannot wait to have her get what is coming to her for good!

The final scene when Christian 1/2 guilted 1/2 sincerely convinced Sean to finally get out of the chair. Although I guess he assumed his student would eventually spill the beans so he might as well suck it up and be there for his friend.

Oh and speaking of Sean's little slutty assistant...as soon as she started talking all sweet baby talk to him, I saw the "baby" fetish coming and when she slipped that diaper on him, lmao well that would def have gotten me walking again!

I definitely thought it was a great episode! I think the characters are really getting back to their true nature!

SMGslayer97

[6]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 34
    I swear over the years Christian has hit a lot of shocking lows as a character, some the kind where you can see some of the redeemable qualities he has and some where you want to rip his junk off. So it makes sense that during one of his genuine low points, getting treated for his cancer, one of his awful low points would come up. I can't believe he would do that to Liz, to take advantage of her friendship and kindness towards him in that way is so low. She had been standing by him from the moment he was diagnosed and he showed her so much direspect in this episode taking advantage of her like that.

mattsafreak

[7]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 16
    Alot of people are mixed on this episode. Some people loathe Christian even more than before, and some think it is good to have the old Christian back, I was glad to see some of the old Christian back, especially after all he went through during this episode. I was most disappointed in Kimber. I know Christian has been an unbelievable jerk to her in the past, but she went way above and beyond when she laughed at him for getting cancer. I have seen Christian be sympathetic to her in the past, remember what the Carver did to her? Also, he was sympathetic to Gina after she contracted AIDS and even helped her financially AND he was there for her. Kimber has just become heartless and it is sad to see.
    Edited on 01/15/2009 4:02am

tjaman

[8]Jan 15, 2009
    G-d, if Christian pulled cancer into himself, what kind of karmic beatdown left Kimber carved, poisoned, mutilated and naked on the side of the road after being abducted from her wedding? For her to ridicule him at such a moment ... she is a toxic thing. And from the previews, she just gets worse.

I did love how horrible she was with Wilber's nanny. "Hey, you're a person in the room. Let me give you hundreds of dollars and my child!"

I like Raj. He reminds me of one of my favorite lines from "Dangerous Liaisons": "Like most intellectuals, he is intensely stupid." He may be a genius, but he's so naive, you just see how he's going to stumble into all sorts of bad situations.

This was an interesting episode for its continued exploration of gender, identity and orientation. Liz gets off with Christian under less than fully disclosed circumstances, and Raj gets off with a dude he thought was a woman.

The Liz and Christian liaison I thought was especially nice, although it didn't seem entirely consensual -- Liz "came round" to the idea. She's been there for him so much in all of this -- cared for him, signed on as Wilber's legal guardian. Christian desperately needed to feel accepted, and she ... well, honestly, I can't imagine how weird that had to have been for her -- "Do I ... um, Christian? Do I wake him up? Or ... mmmm ..."

The backpedalling, anger and spite the next day was no less than he deserved, btw. He was a real jerk.

As for Sean ...

I really think this show portrays women in the absolute worst way, and Sean's little chippie from class is only the latest in a string of really awful encounters. I suspected her infantilizing nature from her first encounter, and I know he's in a bad place but I couldn't believe Sean would let her keep up that "mama" and "baby" routine. It only got more pronounced as the show went on, and when he found himself diapered that was only the logical extreme of something he'd otherwise been encouraging.

I can respect the urge, after what he's been through, to want to be babied and pitied and looked after, and Sean needs some gentle handling. They both do. They both need to find a harem of selfless, caring women to rebuild their trust and faith in humanity and their ability to love and reach out, because these men are deeply scarred and broken, and until the final scene, they couldn't even reach out to each other.

Let the healing begin.

Incidentally, I liked the patient this week. I think this show is at it's best when it's exploring issues of self-worth, perception and identity, and how exteriors are often entirely disconnected from interiors. This show's strength is in its characters, and it's nice to get some more characters in the mix, with the Conor and Julia sighting (she was present but didn't ruin anything, which was good) and the heads-up on where Eden is and what's going on with everyone else.

This, to me, was just a much more satisfying installment than last week's, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it's heading.

daedae2009

[9]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 1

I was disappointed in this episode. The main thing that disappointed me was how they brought Kimber back.

Last season she took the baby and had nothing to do with Matt or Christian. Now she comes over to Christian and Sean's home with the

baby stating it is Matt's time to babysit her. So that means since last season, she and Matt made up and now he is being a father to his

child. Why didn't they develop that story more? The best part of the show was Christian and Liz. I thought it would be a dream sequence.

I did not think "it" would really happen. The way he treated Liz the next day was classic Christian

tjaman

[10]Jan 15, 2009
    Kimber and Ram together don't make one good parent (especially with Eden in the mix), so probably after Matt's rehab and enrollment in college, a court has mandated visitation rights.

Stingseven

[11]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 8

I thought this episode was bit heavy. Sean's willingness to continue pretending he needs the wheelchair shows just what a dark and desperate place he's in (hence, why he was so willing to put up with the infantilizing student... until it went too far. I would have stop her at the shaving!). We also saw that in his scene with Julia (she went from frosty mad to cook you dinner awfully quick, didn't she?). The question is how is he going to pull himself out of that state and how is going to regain Matt and Julia's respect now that he's been outted?

Christian - folks, what do you expect from Christian? He's been a low-down dirty dog since day one! OF COURSE the scene with Liz was awkward, she's a lesbian!! Add to that the fact that she didn't know if Christian even knew what he was doing, and wrestling with her own feelings of 'do I want this? WHY do I want this?' in midstream, if you will, I think was excellently perfectly executed.

Kimber... I don't understand some of the comments about her. She is a wretched woman. Despite her dictionary-sized book of issues, she stepped out of herself long enough to humiliate the man who has humuliated HER countless times (and was ready to use her as a sex recepticle at the time!! You really think Christian wanted her, or did he just want to prove his manhood to an easy mark, so he thought??). Tit for tat. No pun.

tjaman

[12]Jan 16, 2009
    He opened himself enough that he was going to marry her, and then she got mega-carved and he wanted to save and to rescue her, so she got better and shagged his son and gave birth to his grandchild.

What I'm saying is, dog he may be, but his relationship with Kimber is at least more complicated than his relationship with most other women.

shawnlunn2002

[13]Jan 18, 2009
    • level: 41
    I liked this episode but it was certainly chock full of weirdness.

Didn't care too much for Gene and Tracy and I wasn't surprised when it was revealed that Tracy had a penis though Rajesh's reaction was moderately funny.

I like Rajesh. He doesn't seem to have a filter but he's a decent comedic character and that's refreshing after the plethora of nut jobs we seem to get on this show.

Kimber and Kitty both had some nasty comments about Christian having cancer. Kimber did raise a point about Christian's horrible treatment of women though.

Christian and Liz, I hated the scene but I did love her insulting Christian's prowess. Not liking the idea of her being attracted to Christian if they go down that road.

Julia and Matt did have a right to be mad at Sean for lying about his paralysis but I loved how Christian handled it. We need more moments like this on this show.

Really glad that Daphne's gone, 7/10.

krussell47

[14]Jan 19, 2009
    • level: 12
    I think Christian was jerk towards Liz after their bedroom encounter, was because he didn't want to say he did to make himself feel better about the breast cancer. I like how Kimber burned him by saying his cancer was karma for all the women he has wronged throughout his lifetime. This was a good point and I believe that it is definitely possible. I am glad Sean is no longer sleeping with his med student. She was starting to look like the crazy stalker type and didn't he just get stabbed by that type of person last season?!? You think he would have learned his lesson. I also liked how Christian knew exactly what to say to Sean at the end of the show to get him out of the wheelchair. It really shows how much these two need one another and it is also great to see Sean up and walking and not faking to still be crippled.

On a final note, I really hate this Raj character. He is obnoxious and annoying. And him getting head from the dude was something that served him right for his arrogance. Teaches him to think he is better than everyone. Hopefully his character isn't around all season otherwise I am going to go insane!

tjaman

[15]Jan 19, 2009
    I'm opposed to the idea that karma is behind anyone's cancer, fictional or otherwise, simply because lots of people get cancer who aren't guilty of anything.

pamlamadingdong

[16]Jan 21, 2009
    • level: 2
    So... Nip/Tuck wasn't on last night (1/20) because of TROY??? Seriously?

tjaman

[17]Jan 21, 2009
    Probably because of the Inauguration.

kraylith

[18]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 10
    One thing about all the "Christian treated women so horribly" - uhm.. yeah, he may not have been the greatest, but (please remind me if I have forgotten something essential) as far as I remember the one bad thing he did most often was having one night stands. It's not like he pretended he wanted more out of those evenings/nights and most of the women were fine with that.

Yeah, he went over the line a few times, like with Gina when she was "clean" after her sex addiction, and his therapsit. But those were all matters of self-control, it's not like he forced any of the women to sleep with him. They wanted it too on some level and thus did it and he took advantage of that.

Yeah, he's no angel and he could have been a better person but I can't think of anything even close to making him deserving of having cancer.

About the Liz-thing... I can only assume Christian's reasoning was that he pretended to sleep, she was awake so she must realize what he was up too - sleep-sex oO - and if she really didn't wanna do it all she would have to do was wake him up and he'd continue pretending he had been sleeping. "uhm, Christian wake up... NOW!"-"... huh, what? Oh... damn, sorry Liz." If she didn't wakehim up/stop him she must want it too, some way. Might be a very awkward situation, but may not have been as bad as it seemed. We'll see where that'll go in future episodes.

So - I really hope they kill Kimber of soon. With her dead and Ram not being a real relative, the kid would belong to "a-ok" Matt and his more or less stable side of the family. So that would be finde too. Worked out for Wilbur.... *cough*

Rajesh is an interesting characte, but I may to have to agree that he seems more like a non-Indian might assume an Indian person would act. I don't know, maybe the actor himself wanted the role to play like that, it just seems weird. Could be fine though. Can't tell without knowing the reasons for building the character the way he is.