Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

OFFICIAL ~ Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Nip/Tuck

tjaman

[21]Aug 13, 2006
    • level: 32
    And the fact that a largish group of regular posters here (when the show is on -- about a dozen or so) have expressed a wish to do something -- that carries no weight.

* sigh * Fine. Once the new season starts and anyone at all is around to have my back on this we'll try again.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dezigner4web

[22]Aug 13, 2006
    • level: 17

Tj -- did they give you a reason?

I requested the "Ohhh it's so shiny...." when they pinned the others and I thought maybe it got poo-poo'd because of the name of the thread was long and not direct. (?)

Also, "Ava's" only a handful of people "get" what that's all about. Maybe try a straight forward titled thread and then post any greeting you want in there to explain?

Just do an "Official Off Topic Discussion" and then write the MOD and show examples for other forums allowed to do this. In my heart I think it's the name of the thread hindering the pin, not the concept. (?)

alex20020712

[23]Aug 13, 2006
    • level: 7

tjaman wrote:
    And the fact that a largish group of regular posters here (when the show is on -- about a dozen or so) have expressed a wish to do something -- that carries no weight.

Did you understand anything I said? If you and a million other people want the rules to be different, you should try to get them changed, but not by breaking them or ignoring them.

dezigner4web wrote:
    Just do an "Official Off Topic Discussion" and then write the MOD and show examples for other forums allowed to do this. In my heart I think it's the name of the thread hindering the pin, not the concept.

You agree to use our bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities and/or message or communication facilities (collectively, the "Forums") only to send and receive messages and material that are proper and related to that particular Forum.

If "other forums do it," they are in violation of these Terms. If the moderators choose to not enforce these Terms, then those Terms are meaningless. Arbitrary enforcement only creates confusion and resentment. The rules, whatever they are, should apply to all, equally.

This forum is about nip/tuck, and this topic is for questions about the show. I would like to know if Bruno Campos has been the Carver all along, or the writers decided to make him the Carver later on. Anyone know?

tjaman

[24]Aug 13, 2006
    That's exactly what I did do, dez.

* shrugs * Beyond the fact that they were deleted by someone, the only strong and vehemently stated objection I've heard is alex's.

And despite what alex is posting himself blue over, yes. The TOS are very clear. It's also true that editors do have discretion on their own boards. And our editor is in Europe for the summer so I don't know if she's around. And she has a zillion more points than anyone else on the board so she's likely to remain editor until she explicitly resigns, so there's no one else to ask.

If there were a million people on this site and they wanted to do something they'd simply do it.

I will re-issue my request when the season starts.

dezigner4web

[25]Aug 13, 2006
    tjaman wrote:
    That's exactly what I did do, dez. * shrugs *.

Get Grail?

tjaman

[26]Aug 13, 2006
    And in answer to your question, yes, Quentin was the Carver from the moment they introduced the character. It was a little clumsy, yes, because when they introduced the spectre of "The Carver," from what I understand, it wasn't going to be a major storyline -- just a vial of acid to throw in Bobbie Broderick's face. Fan response was such that the storyline was expanded and they had to do a little retconning to establish a figure for The Carver to be. And they had to add Kit to make it work, because when she got carved, it threw suspicion off her, and then Quentin got carved so it threw suspicion off him. It had to be more than one person.

It was a little clumsy, like I said -- not entirely worthy of as gracefully written a show as this is -- but Murph was a little distracted by his "Running With Scissors" movie (which apart from the promo aired during the finale I've heard nothing about, and I mean nothing -- I'm not even sure it's available anywhere).

On some level, it was reasonably clever the way it honestly could've been quite a lot of different people -- including Sean in a weird "Fight Club" type scenario (his attack was a lot different than all the other ones, and he might have been only able to cut one side of his face before he passed out -- he was a complete loon at that stage of the story).

But short answer, yes. It was always Quentin.

dezigner4web

[27]Aug 13, 2006

alex20020712 wrote:
    You agree to use our bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities and/or message or communication facilities (collectively, the "Forums") only to send and receive messages and material that are proper and related to that particular Forum.[/b][/i] If "other forums do it," they are in violation of these Terms. If the moderators choose to not enforce these Terms, then those Terms are meaningless. Arbitrary enforcement only creates confusion and resentment. The rules, whatever they are, should apply to all, equally.

Welcome to the N/T forum Alex!

It is confusing to me, after using this forum for over a year, to understand why now (today) an "Off Topic" thread is not allowed. Considering last year we had "Off Topic" threads here at N/T and on every other forum that I currently visit. Because hey, not every discussion fits in every thread anyhow.

This is the cause for my confusion, and maybe Tj's too. (?) It has always been allowed and done in the past. So...

If there is a new TOS rule about this, I just didn't get the memo on that. No worries by us. Just mostly confusion.

dezigner4web

[28]Aug 13, 2006

Good response Tj. I think if we could have viewed the last two episode split up instead of together, that would have help us to digest what we actually saw.

I also think if they positioned the fact about the strap-on a few episodes earlier, we all would have thought it had to be a female. That fact, coupled with the Quentin reveal was too close together -- IMO.

tjaman

[29]Aug 13, 2006
    I agree. The story was structured for there to be a break between the last two.

The calendar, however, was not. Airing the finale finale during the Christmas dead zone would've hurt the viewership. I'd have watched because I'm obsessed, but a lot of people wouldn't have been able to.

This year they're starting earlier, so yay!

dezigner4web

[30]Aug 13, 2006

But I think ... (and I might be wrong), the strap-on was in the beginning of "Quentin" episode. So even split up, the strap-on fact, and then the Quentin reveal was all in the same epi. (Rushed).

But someone with DeeVeeDees can verify this.

alex20020712

[31]Aug 13, 2006

tjaman wrote:
    * shrugs * Beyond the fact that they were deleted by someone, the only strong and vehemently stated objection I've heard is alex's.

And despite what alex is posting himself blue over, yes. The TOS are very clear. It's also true that editors do have discretion on their own boards.

Are you trying to make this personal? This is not about me or you. If the editors can ignore site rules, the Terms should be amended to read something like:

You agree to use our bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities and/or message or communication facilities (collectively, the "Forums") only to send and receive messages and material that are proper and related to that particular Forum, at the discretion of the show editors. Simple enough.

tjaman wrote:
    If there were a million people on this site and they wanted to do something they'd simply do it.

I have absolutely no doubt of that, and I simply do not agree with that kind of mob mentality.

dezigner4web wrote:
    It is confusing to me, after using this forum for over a year, to understand why now (today) an "Off Topic" thread is not allowed. Considering last year we had "Off Topic" threads here at N/T and on every other forum that I currently visit.

This is exactly what I mean by "Arbitrary enforcement only creates confusion and resentment."
    dezigner4web wrote:
    Because hey, not every discussion fits in every thread anyhow.

Maybe that is why there are at least four forums on this site specifically for off-topic discussions.

dezigner4web wrote:
    It has always been allowed and done in the past.

And it may very well continue to be allowed. I do not know. What I do know is, this is a very lousy excuse for any behavior.

dezigner4web wrote:
    If there is a new TOS rule about this

Like tjaman said, the TOS are very clear, and they are not new. The question here seems to be whether these Terms are enforced equally or arbitrarily.

Back to the subject, thanks for the response to the question.

dezigner4web wrote:
    That fact, coupled with the Quentin reveal was too close together

Indeed, it seemed forced. It was not the kind of twist we have seen in the season 1 or 2 finales. And how could it be? The Carver had to be either someone we knew, or someone completely new. Either way, the options are limited. The unexpected twists throughout the rest of the series are far more satisfying. To me, anyway.

tjaman

[32]Aug 13, 2006
    The dvds for S3 won't be out til the 29th. But as I recall, they first revealed that Q couldn't rape anyone, and then, at the beginning of the second hour, they revealed that the Carver used a strap-on. And they hightailed it to Q's and found him tied up and carved, so it was still up in the air a little.

tjaman

[33]Aug 13, 2006
    I'm not making anything personal.

You've posted your objections five times. I'm not illiterate. You're coming in just fine.

I just don't understand why it's this big a deal to you is all.

dezigner4web

[34]Aug 13, 2006

No worries here Alex. Again, welcome to the forum!

One thing to point out to you, it gets crazy here when the show is airing. When we had an "Off Topic" thread last year, it really helped people organize the "junk" out from the deep discussions about the show. People are going to talk "Off Topic", they just will (like we are now). It only helps the community by having a place to put it in. Then people who dont want to read all the other junk have the freedom to just skip reading that thread.

But, I think you have to see how crazy this forum really gets ... (honest we are just trying to help it be better).

I have yet to find a rule about this -- still looking.

tjaman

[35]Aug 13, 2006
    "Running With Scissors" is scheduled to hit theaters Oct. 11.

I don't go to a lot of movies -- I figure I'll just want to buy it on DVD so I'll hold out for the release -- but I'm very much planning to go to this one.

It looks crazy and funny, and if Murph writes a screenplay, it's gonna be worth watching.

dezigner4web

[36]Aug 13, 2006
    I just came across John Billingsley (Ben White episode of N/T), while watching Angel/S5. That's pretty cool.

tjaman

[37]Aug 13, 2006
    He's been in lots of things. I saw him in "The Closer" this summer as well, and completely different characters each time. Good on him.

alex20020712

[38]Aug 14, 2006
    tjaman wrote:
    You've posted your objections five times. I'm not illiterate. You're coming in just fine.

I was replying to your posts. I did not bring this up, you did. Since I have been replying, logic and arithmetic would suggest you posted more times than I on this subject.

tjaman wrote:
    I just don't understand why it's this big a deal to you is all.

I already explained that. I have a problem with any special treatment, and arbitrary enforcement of any kind of rules. I am a big fan of equality and consistency, which is not to say that exceptions are necesarily a bad thing. Exceptions are often a very good thing, but exceptions in the name of laziness, are not.

dezigner4web wrote:
    One thing to point out to you, it gets crazy here when the show is airing. When we had an "Off Topic" thread last year, it really helped people organize the "junk" out from the deep discussions about the show.

Deleting junk/off-topic messages would help even more, since there would be no need to waste any time sorting anything.

dezigner4web wrote:
    People are going to talk "Off Topic", they just will (like we are now). It only helps the community by having a place to put it in.

As I already mentioned, there are four or five forums specifically for off-topic conversation on this site already. As I also mentioned, pretending that something is OK just because people will do it, is not OK.

dezigner4web wrote:
    Then people who dont want to read all the other junk have the freedom to just skip reading that thread.

The burden is on those who break the rules, not those who abide by them.

dezigner4web wrote:
    I have yet to find a rule about this -- still looking.

Terms of Use. Already quoted twice here. Off-topic posting is not allowed, period. The question is whether this rule is enforced ro not, and how.

dezigner4web wrote:
    I just came across John Billingsley (Ben White episode of N/T), while watching Angel/S5. That's pretty cool.

Quite a busy actor. He is probably better known now for Enterprise, but he has done a number of movies and TV series, including Stargate SG-1.

Do you guys think that nip/tuck actors are or will be known mainly for their work on nip/tuck?

tjaman

[39]Aug 14, 2006
    Yes, but you are the only voice raised thus far in objection.

There's strict adherence to rules and then there's being realistic, as dez has pointed out.

For me (since this is now a thread that includes speculation, apparently), McMahon has already far overshadowed his work on "Charmed." Janssen may mostly be known for her work in the XMEN series, but I'll always know her as Ava.

As for Walsh, Richardson, Hensley and Carlson, their work here has far surpassed anywhere else I may have known them from.

Red was already an established and superlative performer, but I have really loved her work on this show. She absolutely shines as Erica Naughty.

dezigner4web

[40]Aug 14, 2006

I think of Famke Janssen (Ava) as Jean Grey from X-Men, before I think of her as Ava because I saw her first in that major role and had more "air time" as Jean Grey.

For Vanessa Redgrave (Erica)  I always thought of her in the Mission Impossible role as Max, but now when I look at her I think of her as Erica.