Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

OFFICIAL ~ Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Nip/Tuck

KadenUnknown

[81]Sep 17, 2006
    • level: 5

Sigh. Now I'm just completely forgetting things. Which episode is it that Julia tells Christian he's Matt's biological father?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tjaman

[82]Sep 17, 2006
    • level: 32
    S2x05-"Joel Gideon"

I'm not remembering this stuff offhand, btw. Some of these things can be answered by looking in the Episode Guide first. I mean, yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the show and know generally where to look so it's not a long search process, but ...

Oh, and fair warning: If there are questions like "What episode was Ava wearing a red pantsuit?" or "What episode was Christian driving thus-and-such vehicle?" I'm not speaking for everyone, but personally, I'm probably going to ignore it. Unless you can pull in some of what was going on in the plot, that's just too much searching to ask anyone to give up limited free time to track down.

Any mention of Ava of course limits the search to S2 and a flashback in S3, but that's still quite a few episodes to go through for a casual inquiry.

I hope I'm not sounding angry, upset or put-upon with this post, because honestly, I'm not. I just figured I should say it out loud at some point and set some reasonable boundaries.

And other people might be more willing to get more detailed, so go ahead and ask.

I don't in anyway mind helping out with major plot points. Just figured I should mention the episode guide as a place to look as well.

KadenUnknown

[83]Sep 17, 2006
    • level: 5

tjaman wrote:
    . S2x05-"Joel Gideon" I'm not remembering this stuff offhand, btw. Some of these things can be answered by looking in the Episode Guide first. I mean, yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the show and know generally where to look so it's not a long search process, but ... Oh, and fair warning: If there are questions like "What episode was Ava wearing a red pantsuit?" or "What episode was Christian driving thus-and-such vehicle?" I'm not speaking for everyone, but personally, I'm probably going to ignore it. Unless you can pull in some of what was going on in the plot, that's just too much searching to ask anyone to give up limited free time to track down. Any mention of Ava of course limits the search to S2 and a flashback in S3, but that's still quite a few episodes to go through for a casual inquiry. I hope I'm not sounding angry, upset or put-upon with this post, because honestly, I'm not. I just figured I should say it out loud at some point and set some reasonable boundaries. And other people might be more willing to get more detailed, so go ahead and ask. I don't in anyway mind helping out with major plot points. Just figured I should mention the episode guide as a place to look as well.

You don't sound angry. I completely agree. I'm just...sigh. I'm not nearly patient enough and I did try and find it before asking. My minds completely elsewhere right now though- I have to look up stupid science fair projects. Ugh.

tjaman

[84]Sep 17, 2006
    Good luck with the project. I recognize that new deeveedees are verr' distracting.

Edited on 09/17/2006 5:22pm

Ms1fan

[85]Sep 17, 2006
    • level: 8

Why did they wait so long betweem season 2 and 3 to air?

tjaman

[86]Sep 17, 2006
    No idea. Best guess is that they wanted to do a Christmas episode and FX pushed it into the fall so as to oblige.

Or maybe Julian wasn't availble because of his "Fantastic Four" project.

Or they just decided to run it in the fall and Ryan wrote "Joy Kringle" after he knew when it would air.

Those are all just guesses. I have no direct knowledge -- sorry.

Ms1fan

[87]Sep 18, 2006

tjaman wrote:
    No idea. Best guess is that they wanted to do a Christmas episode and FX pushed it into the fall so as to oblige. Or maybe Julian wasn't availble because of his "Fantastic Four" project. Or they just decided to run it in the fall and Ryan wrote "Joy Kringle" after he knew when it would air. Those are all just guesses. I have no direct knowledge -- sorry.

Thanks for the guesses! They all seem like possible reasons. I am not in the US and they've just started airing season 3 and you are already in season 4!!! I watch nip/tuck at a pay tv service, they show it at the latin version of FOX, I find that funny because we do have the latin version of FX, which is where nip/tuck is aired in the US, or so I've read.

tjaman

[88]Sep 18, 2006
    Well, FX is a FOX product, like the Fox Movie Channel, so I'm sure they're making what they feel are the best decisions about where to air what they're airing.

It's entirely possible that "N/T" is relatively tame when compared to programming in other regions. I don't have an especially good window on that. In the U.S., networks are relatively uptight about things like nudity, whereas in other nations -- for example, the U.K. -- nudity seems to be less objectionable than violence.

"N/T" has heaping doses of both, of course, so it's hard to know for sure. But if they tried to air this show on NBC, for instance, it wouldn't have made it past the pilot episode, so "hooray!" for FX.

Ms1fan

[89]Sep 18, 2006
    Mexican networks share the same policy on nudity and violence. It is not the case for pay tv, where nudity policies aren't so uptight. I've always assumed Nip/Tuck was part of pay tv in the US too so I was not that shocked to see nudity in it, does it air in open tv?

tjaman

[90]Sep 18, 2006
    Basic cable. But it's aired after 10/9c, so that's something, anyway.

Ms1fan

[91]Sep 19, 2006
    This is not about nip/tuck but since I am already asking questions...what does it mean when someone says "It's a catch 22"?

tjaman

[92]Sep 19, 2006
    It refers to a mutually unsatisfiable set of conditions, outlined in the book by Joseph Heller.

In the book, "Catch-22," I believe the situation is that aviator Yossarian doesn't want to fly any more missions. If memory serves (and it's been many years) according to the manual, Catch-22 refers to medical leave based on insanity. If an aviator wants to quit flying because he fears for his life, that's actually rational self-preservation because flying missions is dangerous, so you can't use an insanity plea to get out of flying missions.

See? Clear as mud.

laneyparker

[93]Sep 19, 2006
    • level: 2
    Catch 22 - In other words - no matter what you do you are screwed.  Damned if you do and damned if you don't .  Sort of like a "double edged sword" situation (another strange saying)    - no matter what the decision, you aren't/can't win.    Sometimes the TJ man gets too,        well, too,           academic.   . . . . . Mud any clearer now???

tjaman

[94]Sep 19, 2006
    * shrugs * She asked.

laneyparker

[95]Sep 19, 2006
    • level: 2

tjaman wrote:
    * shrugs * She asked.

*sigh*  we love you for your contributions to academia.   

Ms1fan

[96]Sep 20, 2006

Thank you guys! you are great!,you gave me good combination of academic and every day use reference.

Ok, I think I owe it to the forum to go back to nip/tuck: Julia's daughter character seems to be a recurring role, sometimes I forget Julia has a daughter  until I see her on screen, but do they ever say where she is or what she's doing? something like she's with a friend or at camp or anything? I think I have missed on that.

tjaman

[97]Sep 20, 2006
    Occasionally they do mention where she is if she's nowhere in evidence. But not always. There are entire episodes where it's very possible to remain entirely unaware of Annie McNamara.

Sometimes I suspect the writers forget about her.

Ms1fan

[98]Sep 20, 2006
    Yeah I get that feeling too. It also looks like they have this disapearing reapearing act with some characters. I never knew what they did with Ms. Santiago, the lawyer. Or does she appear again later on the show?

Xx_King_Beef_xX

[99]Sep 20, 2006
    • level: 10

Ms1fan wrote:
    Yeah I get that feeling too. It also looks like they have this disapearing reapearing act with some characters. I never knew what they did with Ms. Santiago, the lawyer. Or does she appear again later on the show?

She was actually a psychiatrist, not a lawyer, but yeah... She just disappeared and was never mentioned again.

Ms1fan

[100]Sep 20, 2006
    A psychiatrist, oh