TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

Revealing Article About Season 5 (SPOILERS)

Seaig

[1]Aug 8, 2007
    • level: 12

Nip/Tuck in Season Five: Kinky Sex, Nudity and the Return of Rosie O'Donnell

Ed Martin Live from the Television Critics Association Tour

Beverly Hills, CA -- "I don't think the show is kinky enough!"

That was Nip/Tuck star Julian McMahon waking up the crowd Thursday morning at the Summer Television Critics Association Tour. He was responding to a reporter who had asked cast members to recall the most "jaw-dropping" thing they had been asked to do during the last four seasons of their sex-drenched FX series.

"My jaw hasn't dropped yet," McMahon noted. Clearly a self-confident fellow who revels in pushing boundaries, he revealed that he had just filmed a scene on Wednesday in which he exposed more of himself than had been called for in the script. In the scene, his character, sexed-up plastic surgeon Christian Troy, was supposed to do pushups in his bathroom while wearing a bathing suit.

"I decided to do them on the deck, naked," McMahon beamed as various members of the press and network and studio executives in the room ooh-ed, ah-ed, laughed or sighed.

The unflappable McMahon also said that a storyline last year in which his character questioned his sexuality and seemed to be experiencing sexual desire for his long-time friend and professional partner Dr. Sean McNamara (Dylan Walsh) did not go far enough.

"I think we have to notch up our kink level a little bit," he later declared.

The show's current level of kink seems to be working just fine. In addition to being the highest rated series last year on basic cable among viewers 18-49, Nip/Tuck also seems to be the hottest series in Hollywood. One cannot go anywhere in this town without running into people who continue to talk about it, even after four years on FX. It's on everyone's TiVo and it remains a favorite with television critics.

As the spirited session continued, McMahon revealed how he would end the series, when it finally concludes, which likely won't be anytime soon because it has a 22-episode order for its fifth season and creator Ryan Murphy says he would "love" to do a sixth year.

If he ruled the world, or at least the show, McMahon said the final scene of the series would begin with Sean in the shower "lathering up." There would then be a cut to feet tip-toeing through the room, approaching the shower. "The shower door springs open and it's Christian!" McMahon exclaimed. "Hey, baby, finally we can be together!"

Just before McMahon offered his storyline suggestion, Murphy reminded the TCA that, when Nip/Tuck debuted four years ago, "I said this show at its core is a heterosexual love story between two men. It was about how intimate a straight guy can get with another straight guy without being gay."

Still, with McMahon, almost anything goes. "It's not just being naked," he said. "I just want to do weird things." That weirdness, if he had his way, might include a sequence in which Christian has sex while suspended like a victim from Silence of the Lambs. Two Marilyn Monroe impersonators would be involved.

(When it comes to shocking people, McMahon's imagination seems to know no boundaries. So it's a good thing he didn't attend the National Geographic Channel luncheon that followed the FX session. During the lunch, NGC screened clips from the next season of its shocking series Taboo, about the God-awful things people do to themselves in our culture and others, some of them involving sex. I would like to offer a detailed description of the scenes of mutilation, body modification and extreme physical challenges included in those clips, but like dozens of critics around me - some of whom fled the room - I had to turn away for fear of my lunch returning to its plate.)

The Nip/Tuck session wasn't entirely devoted to the hidden desires of Julian McMahon. Murphy said that the fifth season, which begins in October, will find all of its core characters leaving Miami behind and beginning new lives in Los Angeles. Drs. McNamara and Troy will open a clinic in Beverly Hills and become medical consultants on a Nip/Tuck-like medical show titled Hearts & Scalpels, which Murphy referred to as "the worst medical show ever made." A character portrayed by Oliver Platt whom Murphy described as "me" will run the hospital in this show-within-a-show, and Bradley Cooper will play "the world's biggest cad/plastic surgeon."

Also in the new season, Portia de Rossi has been cast as an acupuncturist and Rosie O'Donnell will once again be seen as white trash lottery winner Dawn Budge for several episodes. But, even though the series remains so popular in Hollywood, Murphy said not to expect a cavalcade of guest stars like last season. (In addition to O'Donnell, they included Richard Chamberlain, Catherine Deneuve, Brooke Shields, Jacqueline Bisset, Larry Hagman, Kathleen Turner, Mario Lopez and Alanis Morissette.) Instead, the show this year will "get back to the family," Murphy asserted.

Along that line, Joely Richardson will return as Sean's ex-wife Julia, the mother of Christian's son Matt. Julia will travel to Los Angeles to reveal major news to the former men in her life and remain there with them. Matt and his bride, Kimber, will show up "for nefarious reasons," Murphy revealed. Liz, the luckless anesthesiologist, will also bolt Miami for Los Angeles after Christian and Sean offer her a position and "double her salary."

Interestingly, Murphy said that when he first pitched Nip/Tuck five years ago it was set in Beverly Hills. But there were concerns that it would become about the "starlet of the week" seeking surgery, because plastic surgery had just exploded, especially on the West Coast. "Now, we won't have a lot of starlets coming in," he noted. "Our cases are exotic and odd." Overall, season five will "explore the temptations of L.A. and how they affect our characters."

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

strop0909

[2]Aug 8, 2007
    • level: 5
    I love his ideas

SMGslayer97

[3]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 34
    That makes it all sound better then I even expected. This is going to be a great season.

krisi1021

[4]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 11
    I'm getting so antsy ...

aznfairy408

[5]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 2
    'Nip/Tuck' Sweeps into Fifth Season FX debuts rebuilt show just before November sweeps

September 4, 2007

Julian McMahon and Dylan Walsh of 'Nip/Tuck' Fittingly for a show that's now set in Tinseltown, "Nip/Tuck" will unveil its new season at the dawn of November sweeps.

FX's twisted plastic-surgery drama will begin its fifth season on Tuesday, Oct. 30, two days before the opening of November sweeps. The new season will consist of 14 episodes, which, depending on whether FX takes a break for Christmas and New Year's, could stretch into the February sweeps period.

The show has switched locales for the new season, which follows Drs. Sean McNamara (Dylan Walsh) and Christian Troy (Julian McMahon) as they try to import their Miami cosmetic-surgery practice to Los Angeles, where they find the market for their services much more crowded. Creator Ryan Murphy has said that several of the show's other regulars, including Joely Richardson, Roma Maffia, John Hensley and Kelly Carlson, will also eventually make their way west.

The doctors will supplement their income as consultants on a TV show called "Hearts and Scalpels," which Murphy described at July's press tour as "kind of the worst medical show that's ever been made." Oliver Platt ("Huff," "The Bronx Is Burning") will have a recurring role as the show's producer, and Bradley Cooper ("Wedding Crashers," "Alias") will play its star.

Other guests lined up for the season include Portia de Rossi ("Arrested Development"), Lauren Hutton, Craig Bierko ("Boston Legal"), Paula Marshall ("Out of Practice"), John Schneider ("Smallville") and Daphne Zuniga ("Beautiful People," "Melrose Place"). Additionally, Rosie O'Donnell is set to reprise her role from last season as lottery winner Dawn Budge, and Leslie Grossman ("What I Like About You") will make a return appearance as her season one character, Bliss Berger. Fall TV

jmac4ever

[6]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 5
    Okay..............14 episodes? What happened to 22?

aznfairy408

[7]Sep 14, 2007
    • level: 2
    I think what they meant was that they will play the first 8 or 9 episodes from Oct to Dec and then plays the next 14 episode later on .

stavi81

[8]Sep 21, 2007
    • level: 8
    omg !!! julian is so crazy !!!!
    i think he and christian have a lot more in common as we think *lol*

MerryMurderess

[9]Sep 22, 2007
    • level: 4
    I AM SO EXCITED!! This season is gonna be amazing!

Abruzzi_44

[10]Sep 23, 2007
    • level: 6
    stavi81 wrote:
    omg !!! julian is so crazy !!!!
    i think he and christian have a lot more in common as we think *lol*

I love Christian Troy as a character. After watching the cast interview that came with the SE season 4 disk... I can't say the same about Julian. The way he hoarded questions from the other cast members made him come off as attention hungry and needy.

ImNucleur

[11]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 1

Abruzzi_44 wrote:
    stavi81 wrote:
    omg !!! julian is so crazy !!!! i think he and christian have a lot more in common as we think *lol*
    I love Christian Troy as a character. After watching the cast interview that came with the SE season 4 disk... I can't say the same about Julian. The way he hoarded questions from the other cast members made him come off as attention hungry and needy.
    Lol, I know. But... when you're that hot, you have right and permission to do so.

Jk. I keep getting some type of premonition that he's going to have a sextape that throws him out of the closet, though. He and Christian might be evolving into one another (My dreams have come true)

MissHarlow

[13]Jul 2, 2009
    • level: 1
    ImNucleur wrote:

Abruzzi_44 wrote:
    stavi81 wrote:
    omg !!! julian is so crazy !!!! i think he and christian have a lot more in common as we think *lol*
    Lol, I know. But... when you're that hot, you have right and permission to do so.

Jk. I keep getting some type of premonition that he's going to have a sextape that throws him out of the closet, though. He and Christian might be evolving into one another (My dreams have come true)

Mr. McMahon was married to the stunning Brooke Burns, star of Baywatch. They had a lovely daughter together, who is now quite the young lady. Mr. McMahon values himself too much to ever do a sex tape, & especially since becoming a father. Leave the sex tapes to the Paris Hiltons, & her ilk. As Ryan Murphy has been quoted as saying, "Julian is not the ladies' man, but rather he is like the nerdy kid in school. He prefers staying in his trailer playing video games." Sorry you mistook Julian as hoarding questions. I was there that night, & it came off entirely different to me. There were many lulls in the conversation, & at times it boarded on becoming deadly dull. Julian stepped up to the plate, trying to keep the party going. I never noticed any of the other cast members volunteering to speak. You could see that Julian felt the whole thing fell on his shoulders. Let's face it; Everyone came to see Julian. There was warm applause for all the cast, but when Julian came out the auditorium went crazy. It's show business, & what the audience wants, is what the audience gets.