Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

Season Finale Discussion Thread - 4x15 - "Gala Gallardo" SPOILERS

dezigner4web

[81]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 17

So ... let them. It might have jumped for them...

It nearly jumped for me. The move to CA makes me want to watch next season! Where I couldn't have cared too much a few episodes ago. The show has been losing me all season up until the last few episodes.

So dont take that statement personally either. It's not a direct reflection on you. Your not the writter!

There, there ... all better.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tjaman

[82]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 32

dezigner4web

[83]Dec 13, 2006
    *hugs*

dezigner4web

[84]Dec 13, 2006

*Breathy for Beef's review.*

meganward04

[85]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 9
    JaceJones wrote:
    I don't have time for a review right now, I'll do it later. Buttt...I just have a little trivia thing for you guys.

Sean and Christian wore the same outfits in the alligator scene last night as they did in the alligator scene in the pilot. I thought that was awesome.

That was the same outfit from Season 1?

mattsafreak

[86]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 16

meganward04 wrote:
    JaceJones wrote:
    I don't have time for a review right now, I'll do it later. Buttt...I just have a little trivia thing for you guys. Sean and Christian wore the same outfits in the alligator scene last night as they did in the alligator scene in the pilot. I thought that was awesome.

I cant believe I didnt catch that! I loved the scene in the grocery checkout lane with all the hams, lol! The look on the cashiers face was just priceless.

jmac4ever

[87]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 5

After a season of mostly "meh" episodes, Nip/Tuck finally delivered greatness in last night's finale.

Even before the "directed by" credit came up, I could tell this was Murph's work.  I love how Murphy takes these seemingly monsterous characters and attempts to instill them with humanity.  Gala isn't a monster by choice, she was made one through her husband's actions.  It was also good to see that Escobar's actions in season one were not completely gone without punishment, even if it wasn't Escobar who was being punished.  That's another great thing about this episode: up until now, the only character that appeared to have no weakness was Escobar.  He was the only character on this show that never showed all his cards.  Enter Gala.  Now, all of a sudden, Escobar has a sore spot.  People have complained that Murph ruined Escobar by making him seem like a b*%^h, but all Murph did was show us a side of Escobar we had not yet seen.  If you think about it, it all makes sense.  Think about the conversation Sean had with Escobar earlier this season.  Escobar talked about relationships and how honesty was important.  I think he was thinking of Gala then.  Escobar's coolness is not diminished just because we finally know how he ticks.  Also, I used to be able to watch N/T and remember one key line from the show that was relevant and interesting.  The writing was such that no matter what kind of crazy sh&* was going on, some level of real truth would shine through and make me rethink things that I had never before considered.  This happened last night during Liz's scene with Gala.  Gala said "You know they say that weak men are the most dangerous, because they will do anything for a little power."  It's one of those lines that just sticks with you and I hope Murphy brings more of that kind of writing into the new year.

Kind of upset that the Matt and Kimber thing didn't get resolved, but real pleased that the characters finally started to notice each other again.  This was never more clear then in Matt and Sean's scene.  Finally, these two appear to be acting like father and son again which is a good sight to see.  After worrying that Murphy had once again provided Matt with a problem without resolving the problem that came before it, Matt finally had that moment of intelligence that I had been waiting a long time for him to have.  But, this time, there's a legitimate reason that Matt can't resolve it because Kimber's pregnant.  Interesting to see where that might lead.  Plus, Sean's moment with Kimber was great because it told me that Sean hasn't just accepted the fact that his son is dating his ex who is over ten years older than he is.  Sean talking to Kimber like an adult and her subsequent humble reaction reminds us that these characters still know each other well, even if they haven't dealt with each other in a while.

In an interview with Fox Movie Channel earlier in the year, Murph said that this year would end with a dramatic change for the series.  Boy, oh boy, was he correct.  Not everyone may agree, but really, is there a better setting for this show than Los Angeles?  What city needs these two more?  My only negative thought while taking in the fact that they're in L.A. was that this makes three FX shows that are set in that particular city.  Does everyone in L.A. honestly think that the world only wants to see shows based in their town?  I'm sure it makes making a tv show cheaper, but I think I've seen more of L.A. in my lifetime then I have my own city!  Plus, with Dirt appearing to be a very N/T-type show and set in L.A., I am concerned that the shows may become too similar.  All of that aside, how cool was it seeing Walsh and McMahon in the classic, sunglasses pose in front of the Hollywood sign?  This is how you can tell Murphy is directing: he mixes just the right levels of style and substance.  The bit with the sign and the singing montage were his moments of style.  That last little bit with them in front of the sign was kind of like a statement.  It's like Murphy was saying, "These guys aren't going anywhere and no matter what happens, this is Nip/Tuck and it's apart of tv lore, now.  Soak it in."  Maybe I read too much into it.  I just think that that last part made the show seem so big and so important that no matter how crappy the show could get, its going to be remembered for a long time after its gone.

One last thing, I loved how the finale brought back that rainbow of emotions that we saw in the first season finale.  That was one of the original strengths of this show (and something I think they have gotten away from) was its ability to go from tense to humorous in a matter of moments.  You go from a crazy scene with Liz and Escobar to a light-hearted scene referencing season one.  It just felt like old times.  Sean and Christian's interactions throughout the entire episode were great and I would be remiss to not mention how awesome it was to see Sean and Christian talking to Escobar like an old friend instead of the fear and intensity they showed in the first season.  "Man of your word, huh?"  That was great and really showed how these characters have grown.

All in all, not the best finale they've ever done, but definitely more satisfying then last years and offers up a promising new storyline for season five.  Bring on Hollywood.

meganward04

[88]Dec 13, 2006
    mattsafreak wrote:

meganward04 wrote:
    JaceJones wrote:
    I don't have time for a review right now, I'll do it later. Buttt...I just have a little trivia thing for you guys. Sean and Christian wore the same outfits in the alligator scene last night as they did in the alligator scene in the pilot. I thought that was awesome.

I cant believe I didnt catch that! I loved the scene in the grocery checkout lane with all the hams, lol! The look on the cashiers face was just priceless.

Oh I know. I was like I cant believe they are going to do that again. I was so happy that everything was perfect. I was done watching the show full and complete. Cant wait for next season and ones after that.

Xx_King_Beef_xX

[89]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 10

Great episode. I'll review it tomorrow when I have some spare time.

perryjp20

[90]Dec 13, 2006
    thanks so much...LOVE THAT SONG!

zachaag

[91]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 7

Ok some of my thoughts.

Enjoyed the episode. Had some issues with it, but it was still good.

Yes, Escobar turned into a b****. It was kinda disappointing (especially if you noticed the tear roll down his face when Liz was pointing the gun at him). However, the character of Gala was incredible. I thought she was a real good compliment to Escobar and I'm glad we finally figured out who is at the very top of the food chain. I of course loved the throwback scene from the pilot in the everglades.Question though. Does Liz really have a right to scream and cry about what they are going to do? In the pilot, yes, because she had nothing to do with the situation. In this episode, not at all. Escobar being killed was a direct result of her bringing a gun into the room and pointing it at Escobar. I mean she deserved to be freaked out, but she should have realized it was her fault and not Sean and Christians that he was killed in their office.What I REALLY wanted to happen was Liz shoot and kill Escobar, and when the Asians came in, Gala just wave them off like she did after she shot Escobar. But thats okay, I'm not writing the series.

I'm looking forward to L.A. It is a generic choice, however with the outrageousness of this show, it is about the only place that would make sense for it to continue. It does however seem strange that Sean would want to be that far away from all of his children. Can you get farther from New York and still be in the United States? It doesn't sound like a normal decision for our family man Sean.

I loved the scene between Michelle and Christian when everything finally came out. I can't believe Christian didn't just call everything off right then(at least he did eventually, but still). What the hell was up with them kissing each other when she walked in for the surgery!? Christian really just forgave her for everything that quickly. That pissed me off. I really expected Sean to be more upset when he found out, but he has been so emotionally drained lately maybe he just didn't have the energy to explode. Or maybe he just expected it from the already despised Michelle.

I'm SO glad Matt and Kimber stopped lying to themselves. I kept telling myself that neither one of them could be serious about this, and finally they made my wishes come true. It will be interesting to see how that whole scenario with the kid turns out.

For the future. I DONT WANT MICHELLE BACK. I really hope she is only in the first couple episodes, then they let her character die. I really don't mind if Liz joins them or not. She is probably the most likable character on the show, but I'm not really sure if there is much more they can do with her. As for Julia, I don't really care either. I would like them to bring her back if they could produce a really crazy storyline for her. Something more hardcore than deformed babies and sex with midgets. lol. In my opinion they need to get back to Season 2, and create another Ava type character or possibly another Carver-like introduction( I know alot of people hated it, but I really liked all of it building up to the disappointing ending). I really like Bobolit, I wish he wasn't in jail again.

Overall episode was enjoyable. Not the best of the Season, not the best finale, but 100 times better than 2026.

duter4

[92]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 7
    mattsafreak wrote:

meganward04 wrote:
    JaceJones wrote:

If I remember correctly (and it's been a while, so I could be way off), in the first season finale, Christian and Sean looked more tense and petrified at the checkout lane; in contrast, this season's finale had them looking downright peppy and nonchalant! Loved it! :-D

JaceJones

[93]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 8
    duter4 wrote:
    mattsafreak wrote:

meganward04 wrote:
    JaceJones wrote:

If I remember correctly (and it's been a while, so I could be way off), in the first season finale, Christian and Sean looked more tense and petrified at the checkout lane; in contrast, this season's finale had them looking downright peppy and nonchalant! Loved it! :-D

You're right. This season, it was Liz who was discontent in that scene.

dezigner4web

[94]Dec 13, 2006

duter4 wrote:
    Christian and Sean looked more tense and petrified at the checkout lane; in contrast, this season's finale had them looking downright peppy and nonchalant! Loved it! :-D

Yeah. Like they were PROS!

Fun! Very fun.

tjaman

[95]Dec 13, 2006
    Well, before, Christian had been jabbed in severalwheres with botox, too.

It occurs to me I barely mentioned Liz, which is just plain out ordinary wrong.

Roma Maffia turned in an incredible performance in this one. Her waves of emotions crashed dead on and her anxiety over taking a life struggled mightily with how incredibly justified she would be in doing it.

In the end, she demonstrated that she was a better person than Escobar, and karma still got to be the resplendent bitca that we all know it can be.

Her moment with Gala was good. Her thumbnail history with her was perfectly written and delivered with disturbing perfection. And all off her interactions with Escobar displayed just the right mix of contempt and fear. If she's ever been up for an Emmy in this show, she so earned it last night.

In fact ... I'm pretty sure I forgot to mention it in my review because I needed to discuss it separately.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it, anyways.
    Edited on 12/13/2006 12:16pm

lbcyber

[96]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 10
    I can't force anyone to like the finale, although I think quite a few people missed the underlying purpose of this episode, or of the fourth season in its entirety.

The Carver plotline was an interesting one, but quickly guided the show off its tracks. Rather than maintaining its goals as a commentary on sex, deception and, most importantly, superficiality, it became a hollow whodunit story so stale it lead some fans to actually suspect Nurse Linda of being the killer. I'm pretty sure Ryan Murphy and the rest of the writing/directing staff were at least somewhat aware of where they were going, hence Season 4.

Season 4 always struck me as an immediate kick back to the fundamentals-- to Season 1... and I believe that's ultimately proven with the finale, which ran almost parallel to the end of Season 1.

I'm probably sounding pretentious. I hope not. I merely want to point out that love it or hate it, Season 4 was Nip/Tuck's chance to let older scars heal. It needed its own facelift, I suppose... and now it's gotten it.
    Edited on 12/13/2006 12:14pm

tjaman

[97]Dec 13, 2006
    lbcyber wrote:
    Love it or hate it, Season 4 was Nip/Tuck's chance to let older scars heal. It needed its own facelift, I suppose ... and now it's gotten it.

Well spoken, lbcyber.

JaceJones

[98]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 8
    lbcyber wrote:
    I can't force anyone to like the finale, although I think quite a few people missed the underlying purpose of this episode, or of the fourth season in its entirety.

The Carver plotline was an interesting one, but quickly guided the show off its tracks. Rather than maintaining its goals as a commentary on sex, deception and, most importantly, superficiality, it became a hollow whodunit story so stale it lead some fans to actually suspect Nurse Linda of being the killer. I'm pretty sure Ryan Murphy and the rest of the writing/directing staff were at least somewhat aware of where they were going, hence Season 4.

Season 4 always struck me as an immediate kick back to the fundamentals-- to Season 1... and I believe that's ultimately proven with the finale, which ran almost parallel to the end of Season 1.

I'm probably sounding pretentious. I hope not. I merely want to point out that love it or hate it, Season 4 was Nip/Tuck's chance to let older scars heal. It needed its own facelift, I suppose... and now it's gotten it.

What a way with words.

EranE

[99]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 12
    I was one of the series' harshest critics this season and after the farce that was Connor 2026 I announced here that I was done with the show. A couple of words with TJ later and I was convinced to stick it out to the finale and boy am I ever glad I did.
    So first,

1. Cheers TJ! 2. This finale not only redeemed the future episode, it redeemed last season's mockery of a finale as well.
    Everything was in perfect dosage. The campy drama, the over-the-top moments, the genuinely real and humane character moments dominated the episode and this is something the series has as good as neglected for over a whole season now. I was gripped.
    As for the song:
    It mesmerised me. It was so unexpected, at first I thought, nice touch, showing Shawn lip synching to a song he's listening to but then I realised everyone was doing it and that sent me into a completely different POV.
    It was one of the more intense moments of television I've seen in a very long time. No wheel was reinvented but the interpretation and execution of such an artistic choice for a tv episode was in my humble opinion flawless.

I'm on board for season five. I feel like I have closure and what a great move to relocate from Miami to LA.

Till next summer gang.

See you on the other forums

tjaman

[100]Dec 13, 2006
    Hugs and high-fives all around. Come raise a glass in Ava's before you go.