Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

That New York Cameo Pretty Much Marks the End of This Show

Grammaton-Cleric

[1]Dec 6, 2007
    • level: 4

After a brilliant first two seasons and a pretty solid third, the fourth season was such utter, incomprehensible drivel that the only hope for salvation lay in the idea of a fresh start. Unfortunately, the move to California has been mostly predictable and at times downright boring and it has become obvious the writers are grasping at any gimmick available rather than create a solid, engaging narrative. The recent inclusion of a guest appearance by that piece of venereal-diseased human waste New York proves that the writers and producers of Nip/Tuck have completely run out of ideas.

And I thought the guest spots by Rosie O' Donnell were bad.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SMGslayer97

[2]Dec 6, 2007
    • level: 34
    While I agree with your assesment of the series so far, the first two season were brilliant and I thought season 3 was solid as well season 4 felt like a big disappointment from pretty much all angeles. So far this season has made for a nice fresh start and I will say it's better then season 4 but so far the most interesting thing going on is Matt and Kimnber's slide into drugs. So far I've really only been pleased with the third episode of this season, the rest have been alright but the show just doesn't seem the same. The adding of new characters like Eden and Olivia are providing for some interesting distractions but other then that I'm a tiny bit bored.

New York and Rosie's guest spots just seem like a waste of the shows time, granted New York really didn't even have much of an appearance but it was all just a little to 'I'll visit your show if promote mine'. Which holds up well considering a promo for her I Love New York show aired mid-episode.

tjaman

[3]Dec 6, 2007
    • level: 32
    I thought it was a perfectly straightforward way for Murph and Salt to make fun of the plastic surgery reality shows and reality shows in general. New York is just synonymous with mindless reality show nonsense and I loved her trying to say the word "genre."

Her appearance doesn't mark crap. If she'd been there to go under the knife, that'd have been pander-y stunt casting. As it was, she was used perfectly, imo.

Grammaton-Cleric

[4]Dec 6, 2007

I agree this season has been better than season 4 but unfortuntaley that doesn't mean much given how bad season 4 actually was.

I just wish they would do away with the whole Julia angle completely at this point. Frankly, she's skinny, hideous, and her character has become increasingly annoying. The notion that both of these guys are stillinglusting for her is ridiculous and the whole lesbian angle is just plain tired.

I also can't stand the Olivia characterand the notion of her little whore daughter being that much of an unchecked problem strikes me as silly.

At this point I'd love to see some nastiness happen to Julia, Olivia and the whore. That would at least be fun to watch.

It's still a fun show but having the entire family follow them out to California seems to nullify the point of relocation.

Grammaton-Cleric

[5]Dec 6, 2007

tjaman wrote:
    I thought it was a perfectly straightforward way for Murph and Salt to make fun of the plastic surgery reality shows and reality shows in general. New York is just synonymous with mindless reality show nonsense and I loved her trying to say the word "genre." Her appearance doesn't mark crap. If she'd been there to go under the knife, that'd have been pander-y stunt casting. As it was, she was used perfectly, imo.

I would argue that there is no proper way to use New York.She is a base, almost sub-human entity and her very presence on the show lowers it'squality. She's that disgusting, at least to me.

But more importantly,her cameo(and thewhole reality show episode in general) reveals just how bankrupt and devoid of ideas the writers appear to be. Honestly, this season really is all over the grid and doesn't even seem to know what it wants to accomplish in terms of story.

I hope things improve.

JaceJones

[6]Dec 7, 2007
    • level: 8
    Grammaton-Cleric wrote:

tjaman wrote:
    I thought it was a perfectly straightforward way for Murph and Salt to make fun of the plastic surgery reality shows and reality shows in general. New York is just synonymous with mindless reality show nonsense and I loved her trying to say the word "genre." Her appearance doesn't mark crap. If she'd been there to go under the knife, that'd have been pander-y stunt casting. As it was, she was used perfectly, imo.

I would argue that there is no proper way to use New York.She is a base, almost sub-human entity and her very presence on the show lowers it'squality. She's that disgusting, at least to me.

But more importantly,her cameo(and thewhole reality show episode in general) reveals just how bankrupt and devoid of ideas the writers appear to be. Honestly, this season really is all over the grid and doesn't even seem to know what it wants to accomplish in terms of story.

I hope things improve.

What are you talking about?

It shows nothing.

You're reaching.

Truman_Burbank

[7]Dec 7, 2007
    • level: 12
    I honestly couldn't care less about New York's cameo. In my opinion, what is actually marking the end of the show is just how lazy the writers continue to be. Matt and Kimber's storyline is pathetic and they are completely useless characters. Julia and Olivia are ridiculous. Nobody is buying the lesbian act. The Sean/Christian/Julia love triangle should've ended a long time ago. Can you guys still stand this? I sure can't.

After the disappointing seasons three and four, I figured that, with the change of scenery, they had the opportunity to come up with fresh, creative ideas and kind of reboot the show. But instead they are just repeating the same mistakes. It baffles me how all of this comes from the same people who gave us the amazing seasons one and two.

tjaman

[8]Dec 7, 2007
    Well, you're not wrong. It's like Christian has learned absolutely nothing, despite being smacked upside the head with so many 2x4s over the years. Matt has learned nothing from Ariel or Adrien or anyone, Julia has learned nothing, Kimber is always deeply empowered and smart as a whip except when they need her to be a moron, and Sean actually had a lobotomy sometime midway through S3.

I wish they would take what they'd learned and evolve as characters and make new mistakes, preferably with new and different people.

Which is a surprise to me because Jennifer Salt has always struck me as being a more than usually capable writer.
    Edited on 12/07/2007 6:46pm

Truman_Burbank

[9]Dec 7, 2007
    • level: 12
    tjaman wrote:
    I wish they would take what they'd learned and evolve as characters and make new mistakes, preferably with new and different people.

Exactly! But instead we have to endure all these deja vu moments.

AG19

[10]Dec 9, 2007
    • level: 9
    Like someone said, the whole point of using NY was to poke fun at reality TV. This was the perfect way to use her. If she appeared under different circumstances then you'd have point...but she didn't, so no.

EnterTheTekken

[11]Dec 10, 2007

Why does Nip/tuck have to point fun at reality tv? I think reality tv does a good job of humiliating itself. This episode, as with this season, is exactly as I feared after the conclusion of Gala Gallardo...that this move to LA was not going to change a thing:

Sean is having another midlife crisis fling

Christian still wants Julia

Julia still hasn't grown or matured in any way, shape or form

Matt is still falling into his typical "Help me Mom and Dads, I have a problem" pitfall he delves into every season

The love triangle is in full effect...AGAIN.

The show is in complete reverse.

JaceJones

[12]Dec 10, 2007
    EnterTheTekken wrote:

Why does Nip/tuck have to point fun at reality tv? I think reality tv does a good job of humiliating itself. This episode, as with this season, is exactly as I feared after the conclusion of Gala Gallardo...that this move to LA was not going to change a thing:

Sean is having another midlife crisis fling

Christian still wants Julia

Julia still hasn't grown or matured in any way, shape or form

Matt is still falling into his typical "Help me Mom and Dads, I have a problem" pitfall he delves into every season

The love triangle is in full effect...AGAIN.

The show is in complete reverse.

Oh whatEVER.

Sean and Julia don't seem to remotely be on their way to reconciling, or even rekindling any old flames, so I don't see how that love triangle still exist. Sure, he still cares for her and loves her, so he'd be hurt if he found out about Christian sleeping with her, but other than that? We've never seen Christian and Julia relive that old spark from that fateful day Matt was conceived, so HOW is this reverse? We've seen them come close, but they'e NEVER done it. Furthermore, Christian is out of Julia's system. Or, at least, she says so. So I don't see your point.

Sean is not having a midlife crisis. Jesus Christ, the guy can't do ANY wrong without everyone chalking it up to a midlife crisis. He wants to taste the forbidden fruit. There's nothing midlife about that. I try to do that NOW and I'm half his age.

What do you expect to see Matt doing? Becoming successful? How interesting would that be? He either falls deeper down the rabbit hole or leaves the show, and I dunno if I'd bank on him leaving anytime soon. Besides, season 4 was nowhere near him asking for their help. In fact, he rebuked it. Season 3 was just about the same. I think you're complaining because you haven't been wow'd in the sixth episode of a twenty-two episode season.

EnterTheTekken

[13]Dec 11, 2007
    JaceJones wrote:

Sean and Julia don't seem to remotely be on their way to reconciling, or even rekindling any old flames, so I don't see how that love triangle still exist. Sure, he still cares for her and loves her, so he'd be hurt if he found out about Christian sleeping with her, but other than that?

Didn't you see the end of the last episode? That look on Sean's face when he was talking to Christian about Eden's "lie", and not hurting people anymore? That just screamed that Sean is burned by Christian sleeping with Julia...AGAIN. If he truly didn't care, he wouldn't feel that way. That's the reason why he kissed Eden in the first place. Sean's not stupid, and he's taking Christian's infidelity as a justification for screwing Eden.

JaceJones wrote:
    We've never seen Christian and Julia relive that old spark from that fateful day Matt was conceived, so HOW is this reverse? We've seen them come close, but they'e NEVER done it. Furthermore, Christian is out of Julia's system. Or, at least, she says so. So I don't see your point.

She may be, but she's not out of his. That's my point.

JaceJones wrote:
    Sean is not having a midlife crisis. Jesus Christ, the guy can't do ANY wrong without everyone chalking it up to a midlife crisis. He wants to taste the forbidden fruit. There's nothing midlife about that. I try to do that NOW and I'm half his age.

Tasting the "forbidden fruit" is exactly what a midlife crisis is! Didn't you see American Beauty with Kevin Spacey? The whole movie was about tasting forbidden fruit. This fling is no different than any of his other past flings with Kimber, Megan O'Hara, Nikki Moretti, etc.

JaceJones wrote:
    What do you expect to see Matt doing? Becoming successful? How interesting would that be? He either falls deeper down the rabbit hole or leaves the show, and I dunno if I'd bank on him leaving anytime soon. Besides, season 4 was nowhere near him asking for their help. In fact, he rebuked it. Season 3 was just about the same. I think you're complaining because you haven't been wow'd in the sixth episode of a twenty-two episode season.

YES! That would be a nice change of pace for a character who has never had a change of pace! Why can't Matt be normal? The point is not how he seeks help, but that he always needs help for some wacky problem that he should've learned lessons from. It doesn't make sense how after Cara Fitzgerald, he learns his lesson, then falls into Ava Moore, then learns his lesson, then falls into another after another and STILL hasn't learned a thing. When I see that, it appears that the writers MUST put Matt into some oddball situation. That's what SOAP Operas do, not drama series. In Nip/Tuck's history, every season has "wowed" the viewers into some compelling situation well before the 6th episode of a season. But instead, we're getting silly soap opera cliches like cheap cameos and repetitive storylines that fit characters like a glove. Like I said, REVERSE.

JaceJones

[14]Dec 11, 2007

EnterTheTekken wrote:
    Didn't you see the end of the last episode? That look on Sean's face when he was talking to Christian about Eden's "lie", and not hurting people anymore? That just screamed that Sean is burned by Christian sleeping with Julia...AGAIN. If he truly didn't care, he wouldn't feel that way. That's the reason why he kissed Eden in the first place. Sean's not stupid, and he's taking Christian's infidelity as a justification for screwing Eden.

Really? Did Inot just say that? I said Sean would be hurt by Christian sleeping with Julia, but they are NOT on their way to getting back together. And by the time he kissed Eden, she had already "admitted" that Christian hadn't slept with Julia and that she lied.

EnterTheTekken wrote:

She may be, but she's not out of his. That's my point.

Sorry, he's just supposed to forget he's loved her for 17-19 years (however long its been now) because you're not happy with it? He's tried hard in every season to get over her, to forget about her, but he CAN'T. That's the point. What do you expect to see? If he magically fell OUT of love with her, then it'd be soap opera-ish. You can't love someone for that long and suddenly not anymore.

EnterTheTekken wrote:

Tasting the "forbidden fruit" is exactly what a midlife crisis is! Didn't you see American Beauty with Kevin Spacey? The whole movie was about tasting forbidden fruit. This fling is no different than any of his other past flings with Kimber, Megan O'Hara, Nikki Moretti, etc.

I don't even know what to say to you at this point. If "tasting the forbidden fruit" is a midlife crisis, then this entire show is dealing with Sean's midlife crisis. So why aren't you used to it by now?

EnterTheTekken wrote:

YES! That would be a nice change of pace for a character who has never had a change of pace! Why can't Matt be normal? The point is not how he seeks help, but that he always needs help for some wacky problem that he should've learned lessons from. It doesn't make sense how after Cara Fitzgerald, he learns his lesson, then falls into Ava Moore, then learns his lesson, then falls into another after another and STILL hasn't learned a thing. When I see that, it appears that the writers MUST put Matt into some oddball situation. That's what SOAP Operas do, not drama series. In Nip/Tuck's history, every season has "wowed" the viewers into some compelling situation well before the 6th episode of a season. But instead, we're getting silly soap opera cliches like cheap cameos and repetitive storylines that fit characters like a glove. Like I said, REVERSE.

I don't understand you.I realize that you expect Matt to grow up, but do you honestly expect him to be happy? I mean...I think he was pretty happy in season four. But it's kinda hard to be happy when everytime you try to make a choice that will help you achieve your goals, your parents aren't on your side. Maybe Christian, Sean, and Julia need to be happy before he can be. Eh?

EnterTheTekken

[15]Dec 11, 2007

And..oh..wow...what happened on tonight's episode?:

Sean, worrying about getting old, tried to relight his youthful fire and nearly dying. He basically laid out that midlife crisis that you keep denying exists.

Julia leaped immediately back into Christian's arms, and the love triangle is in full swing, AS I PREDICTED.

And Matt, AS I PREDICTED, fessed up to the meth addiction and asked for help AGAIN from his two dads.

Rehashing, de-evolving, and downright silliness (the alien nonsense) are a recipe for disaster. Rescue Me this past season lost a lot of fans following this same formula, except they only had 13 episodes to do it in.

tjaman

[16]Dec 11, 2007
    Well, I agree it's recursive, but even so, it was completely back on its game tonight, imo.

Maybe what stood out for me is that Sean's midlife crisis actually had some serious 911 consequences for once.

And they kicked Matt to the curb. Indeed, C hath verily layeth down the smack upon him.

As for the implant, how was that silly? You're saying delusional old men in the throes of dementia don't steal lead-lined jackets to elude their Wanderguard-assisted caretakery? I thought that was just amazing.

Wendy showing up at the end was just a harmless little twist. Unless something very strange is coming down the pike, the show isn't going to suddenly be about alien abductions.

All of this, of course, imo. But from what I saw tonight and in next week's previews, it seems like there's some show left in this show.

JaceJones

[17]Dec 12, 2007
    EnterTheTekken wrote:

And..oh..wow...what happened on tonight's episode?:

Sean, worrying about getting old, tried to relight his youthful fire and nearly dying. He basically laid out that midlife crisis that you keep denying exists.

Julia leaped immediately back into Christian's arms, and the love triangle is in full swing, AS I PREDICTED.

And Matt, AS I PREDICTED, fessed up to the meth addiction and asked for help AGAIN from his two dads.

Rehashing, de-evolving, and downright silliness (the alien nonsense) are a recipe for disaster. Rescue Me this past season lost a lot of fans following this same formula, except they only had 13 episodes to do it in.

Can you tell me how Julia and Christian getting all intimate is a love TRIANGLE? Of course Sean cares, but I dunno if I see him still trying to win her back. Maybe, maybe not, but I haven't seen it this season.

I guess you're right about the midlife crisis. I guess I thought a midlife crisis was when you get all angry and depressed about life so you quit everything and try to start something new. I guess it has many categories.

Of COURSE Matt is going to ask for help. He's what...19? I know if your parents are still around, no matter what age you are, you'll be asking for their help or advice whenever you get stuck in a rut you can't get yourself out of. Don't even deny it. So why is this bothering you? lmaoo

P.S. I read somewhere today that season 5 is not having 22 episodes as promised but, instead, 14. 8 before Christmas, 6 after. Does anyone know if this is true?

melaty

[18]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 2
    I like that the plots are more light hearted this season; however, there are so many loose ends: what about Christian and the promising relationship with the nun? What about Annie's anorexia? Is Christian still a gigilo?Is the Ass Bandit still at large? Why are the writers dropping the ball on solid story lines--are the writers on meth too?
    Edited on 12/13/2007 8:45am

Grammaton-Cleric

[19]Dec 13, 2007

The whole point of this season was relocation and a fresh start. Instead, they followed through with that concept for about two episodes, then transplanted the entire family into California and started in with the same tired plot lines and conflicts.

As for New York, my point was this: she's low class trash and her show is the antithesis of everything Nip/Tuck should be. Like Rosie o' Donnel, New York lowers the quality of anything she even comes near.

JaceJones

[20]Dec 13, 2007
    melaty wrote:
    I like that the plots are more light hearted this season; however, there are so many loose ends: what about Christian and the promising relationship with the nun? What about Annie's anorexia? Is Christian still a gigilo?Is the Ass Bandit still at large? Why are the writers dropping the ball on solid story lines--are the writers on meth too?

Are you serious?

Is the season over with?

CLEARLY you've never watched much Nip/Tuck before because in season three, for example, we saw Kit get Carved pretty early on in the season and we never heard back from her until the season finale.