Nip/Tuck Forums

FX (ended 2010)

This Show Needs to End

  • Avatar of BleedingBalls

    BleedingBalls

    [61]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 01/25/08
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 64

    "Don't post here-y"

    I Love it!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JaceJones

    JaceJones

    [62]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 10/19/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,536
    I never claimed I'd be taking over your job. Like you said, I'm almost positive your occupation is not what I'm going to school for. I said my generation and I will be. That means if I don't, my generation will. Therein lies your sudden unemployment in year's time.

    I'm a very "snarky" person. When disagreed with, I either debate or get tired of debating and just start straight attacking. I don't have the patience to sit here and argue with you for two days about why Nip/Tuck is sweet and why you aren't. But I do have the patience to sit here and tell you that you aren't sweet, leaving Nip/Tuck completely out of the picture. Tell me my priorities aren't in order; I could care less. It's entertaining for me, and I do what I want to do at all times.

    Oh and just for the record? Seeing as my generation is the internet generation, in which everything is done through text, I'm just about positive reading and writing won't be much of an issue at all for me and my peers. Sure, you'll catch an "idk" or an "omg" from me every now and then. But that's not because I don't know the difference between what's right and wrong in grammar, it's because I like the phrase "omg" better than "Oh, my God!"

    I think you're all set with me right now.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Grammaton-Cleric

    Grammaton-Cleric

    [63]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 05/08/02
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 70

    I went ahead and deleted my follow-ups because it occurred to me that I'm jamming up my own thread with pointless bickering.

    I've actually had several people e-mail me regarding the original post and tell me they enjoyed reading it quite a bit so good enough. The only reason I posted it to begin with was to share my own viewpoint of a show I used to love. The level of hostility that came roaring back was both epic and pathetic.

    Dissention is understandable; your collective reaction, not so much.

    The original post stands and if at anytime any of you want to address the arguments within it let me know.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Encablossa

    Encablossa

    [64]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 05/26/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 193
    It's funny how some people here repeat the phrase "If you don't like it, don't watch it".. Let me explain the obvious: We are concerned fans of the show who like to rant about the show we once loved and now turned to sh!t Every body's entitled to their opinion. If you dont like the topic, avoid it..MMKAY?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tjaman

    tjaman

    [65]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 16,306
    Encablossa wrote:
    We are concerned fans of the show who like to rant about the show we once loved and now turned to sh!t


    iyo.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JaceJones

    JaceJones

    [66]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 10/19/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,536
    Encablossa wrote:
    It's funny how some people here repeat the phrase "If you don't like it, don't watch it".. Let me explain the obvious: We are concerned fans of the show who like to rant about the show we once loved and now turned to sh!t Every body's entitled to their opinion. If you dont like the topic, avoid it..MMKAY?


    Exactly as TJ said: in your opinion.

    You're fans who think you know best. You don't.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JaceJones

    JaceJones

    [67]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 10/19/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,536
    Grammaton-Cleric wrote:

    I went ahead and deleted my follow-ups because it occurred to me that I'm jamming up my own thread with pointless bickering.

    I've actually had several people e-mail me regarding the original post and tell me they enjoyed reading it quite a bit so good enough. The only reason I posted it to begin with was to share my own viewpoint of a show I used to love. The level of hostility that came roaring back was both epic and pathetic.

    Dissention is understandable; your collective reaction, not so much.

    The original post stands and if at anytime any of you want to address the arguments within it let me know.



    Totally called it a couple of pages back.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of briantw

    briantw

    [68]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 11/17/03
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 311

    JaceJones wrote:
    You're fans who think you know best. You don't.

    And neither do you, so what's your point?

    People are entitled to their opinions. If you disagree with them, post about it, but issuing personal attacks or just telling someone to shut up makes you sound like a juvenile.

    I tend to agree that this show is pretty awful now. I still watch it (although I haven't seen an episode on my actual television since about midway through last season, as I now don't consider the show good enough to warrant clearing my schedule for), but that's mostly because I've followed it this long, so I figure I might as well keep watching. It's only forty-two minutes a week, after all. Personally, though, I thought the show has been on a steady downward spiral (more or less) since the horrible Carver ending to Season Three.

    Sadly, this season started off kind of promising, but it's quickly degraded. At first, I though the move to California was a great idea. It was a chance for the show to start fresh, with new, original story-lines and characters. Unfortunately, though, the writers apparently don't know how to come up with new characters, as they quickly transplanted every single damned character from the previous seasons to Los Angeles as well. They basically took an idea that was great conceptually, and turned it to garbage.

    Now we once again have to deal with Julia's love triangle, Sean and Christian's rivalry for her affections, Gina's AIDS and addictions (at least she's dead now), Matt's overall douchebaggery, and Kimber being Kimber. If the show hadn't moved, I would have expected all of the above. I still would have been bored with it, but at least it would have made sense. However, with the move factored in it feels all the more aggravating and pointless, especially given how strongly this season started.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tjaman

    tjaman

    [69]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 16,306
    Now, you see, I read that and it sounds well-reasoned and insightful. I see your point and agree with a lot of it, although for me these points are foibles and cause for amusement rather than outright irritation, but people do watch shows for different reasons and get different things out of them.

    However, you're taking the tack that the show isn't worth your time, which is a valid decision on your part, demonstrated by the fact that you're not glued to your DVR when a new one comes on the way I am.

    You haven't waded in and announced that it's not worth anybody's time and that it needs to end, as others have.

    Which makes you approximately a thousand times more civil and engaging.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of briantw

    briantw

    [70]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 11/17/03
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 311

    tjaman wrote:
    Now, you see, I read that and it sounds well-reasoned and insightful.

    I see your point and agree with a lot of it, although for me these points are foibles and cause for amusement rather than outright irritation, but people do watch shows for different reasons and get different things out of them.

    However, you're taking the tack that the show isn't worth your time, which is a valid decision on your part, demonstrated by the fact that you're not glued to your DVR when a new one comes on the way I am.

    You haven't waded in and announced that it's not worth anybody's time and that it needs to end, as others have. Which makes you approximately a thousand times more civil and engaging.

    True.

    However, I do kind of agree with the original poster. It would be nice if the show went out on a high note, rather than continue to wallow through season after season slowly getting worse and worse, as many shows tend to do. Then again, based on the last four or five episodes, the show leaving this season on a high note seems doubtful.

    The thing that really irks me is that the writers seem to take refreshing plots with potential, such as Sean and that other actress (can't remember her name off-hand), the whole "Hearts and Scalpels" storyline, Christian being a man-whore, and several others, and throw them out in favor of far less interesting fare that we've seen before practically every season, like the Sean/Christian/Julia triangle, Gina's return, Matt doing stupid things, and more. It's like they want to try something new, but then quickly become afraid of the deep end of the pool, so the return to what they know.

    Also, I'm not saying the show isn't worth my time. I'm saying that it's not worth going out of my way to watch. I download it and watch it on my own time when I'm sitting around my apartment and there's nothing better to do. There is a difference there, however slight. If it wasn't worth my time, I wouldn't watch it at all.

    Edited on 02/07/2008 4:51pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tjaman

    tjaman

    [71]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 16,306
    During S3 at the height of the Carver caper, we had three in a row that seemed just unwatchable somehow -- that whole Frankenlaura and Ben White and Tommy Bolton thing. There was that not-especially-interesting and entirely unresolved storyline with Anne Heche. And then S4 happened like a terrible hurricane of wacky badness. Does Sean still call Cindy Plumb? Do Santa suits make him hot for elves? What did they do with Shari Noble's dog? And really, no one shows up for like a top socialite cancer fundraiser's funeral? Well, at least if they had, the eulogies might have had a little more restraint and decorum. And Escobar is burned alive and restored beautifully before being destroyed along with everyone. For that he busted out of prison? No thanks!

    Don't get me started on Julia and the Manny. N/T inherited the unproduced scripts from "Carnivale," I take it. Oy.

    And all the way through it I kept thinking that this would pass, because it always had. And it always does. At least, I dunno, I've been watching since the pilot and every episode has got at least something enjoyable about it.

    To me.

    Maybe Murph has an excellent read on what I personally want to see when I'm watching this show and he delivers. Other people clearly want other things and that is so incredibly valid. But while characters do change and grow, they also fall into behavior patterns, so when we're shaking our heads saying, "Oh, Christian, will you never learn?" it's honestly like, no, frankly, he probably never will.

    This show, at its core, says balls-out that quick-fixes are never the solution. A little therapy, a little surgery, a little 12-steppery, rarely makes anyone good as new. Dogs return to their vomit, and Christian and Sean and Julia all seek out and embrace and deepen their secret private pain because they don't know any better.

    And while it's frustrating, it happens, and it's human, and it's completely believeable.

    imo.

    And for those whose mileage is varying, I wish you well. For lots of people the show never recovered after they got rid of Grace Santiago and could never survive the appearance of Momma Boone.

    To each their own and I wish you so much well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BleedingBalls

    BleedingBalls

    [72]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 01/25/08
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 64

    Encablossa wrote:
    It's funny how some people here repeat the phrase "If you don't like it, don't watch it".. Let me explain the obvious: We are concerned fans of the show who like to rant about the show we once loved and now turned to sh!t Every body's entitled to their opinion. If you dont like the topic, avoid it..MMKAY?

    Shut the hell up.

    Only gay dudes say "MMKAY".

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tjaman

    tjaman

    [73]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 16,306
    I didn't think Mr. Mackey was gay Wasn't he having it off with Principal Victoria that one time?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of randan02

    randan02

    [74]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 08/19/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 834
    BleedingBalls wrote:

    Encablossa wrote:
    It's funny how some people here repeat the phrase "If you don't like it, don't watch it".. Let me explain the obvious: We are concerned fans of the show who like to rant about the show we once loved and now turned to sh!t Every body's entitled to their opinion. If you dont like the topic, avoid it..MMKAY?

    Shut the hell up.

    Only gay dudes say "MMKAY".

    Bleeding Balls is a unique moniker.........UR funny.......... So to sum up, bleedingballs is a weird name, and bleedingballs, you are funny.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BleedingBalls

    BleedingBalls

    [75]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 01/25/08
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 64
    randan02 wrote:
    BleedingBalls wrote:

    Encablossa wrote:
    It's funny how some people here repeat the phrase "If you don't like it, don't watch it".. Let me explain the obvious: We are concerned fans of the show who like to rant about the show we once loved and now turned to sh!t Every body's entitled to their opinion. If you dont like the topic, avoid it..MMKAY?

    Shut the hell up.

    Only gay dudes say "MMKAY".

    Bleeding Balls is a unique moniker.........UR funny.......... So to sum up, bleedingballs is a weird name, and bleedingballs, you are funny.

    *takes bow*

    *absorbs narcissistic supply*

    *leaves*

    haha just kidding. thanks.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Grammaton-Cleric

    Grammaton-Cleric

    [76]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 05/08/02
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 70

    tjaman wrote:
    Now, you see, I read that and it sounds well-reasoned and insightful. I see your point and agree with a lot of it, although for me these points are foibles and cause for amusement rather than outright irritation, but people do watch shows for different reasons and get different things out of them. However, you're taking the tack that the show isn't worth your time, which is a valid decision on your part, demonstrated by the fact that you're not glued to your DVR when a new one comes on the way I am. You haven't waded in and announced that it's not worth anybody's time and that it needs to end, as others have. Which makes you approximately a thousand times more civil and engaging.

    Except I never said you needed to agree with me. I assumed that people understood that what I posted was a subjective opinion.

    I've actually gone out of my way to be civil, which is more than I can say about many in here.

    I wrote a lengthy rationale for my distain of the show and I think my reasons are pretty solid. If you honestly disagee with me that's fine too, but this lynchmob personal attack thing was beyond weak. I've been engaged in several discussions in other threads and had no problems so I'm not really sure what your personal beef with me is. If you think I wrote that post to impress people or make myself seem superior you're way off base. I wrote a persuasive essay that you can love or hate but I'm not going to apologize for being articulate.

    Frankly, you seem too smart for this kind of lowbrow tactic. Now somebody like Jace, it's understandable; he's a self-proclaimed moron. But I really think you've read me, my post, and this situation all wrong.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Grammaton-Cleric

    Grammaton-Cleric

    [77]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 05/08/02
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 70
    briantw wrote:

    tjaman wrote:
    Now, you see, I read that and it sounds well-reasoned and insightful.

    I see your point and agree with a lot of it, although for me these points are foibles and cause for amusement rather than outright irritation, but people do watch shows for different reasons and get different things out of them.

    However, you're taking the tack that the show isn't worth your time, which is a valid decision on your part, demonstrated by the fact that you're not glued to your DVR when a new one comes on the way I am.

    You haven't waded in and announced that it's not worth anybody's time and that it needs to end, as others have. Which makes you approximately a thousand times more civil and engaging.

    True.

    However, I do kind of agree with the original poster. It would be nice if the show went out on a high note, rather than continue to wallow through season after season slowly getting worse and worse, as many shows tend to do. Then again, based on the last four or five episodes, the show leaving this season on a high note seems doubtful.

    The thing that really irks me is that the writers seem to take refreshing plots with potential, such as Sean and that other actress (can't remember her name off-hand), the whole "Hearts and Scalpels" storyline, Christian being a man-whore, and several others, and throw them out in favor of far less interesting fare that we've seen before practically every season, like the Sean/Christian/Julia triangle, Gina's return, Matt doing stupid things, and more. It's like they want to try something new, but then quickly become afraid of the deep end of the pool, so the return to what they know.

    Also, I'm not saying the show isn't worth my time. I'm saying that it's not worth going out of my way to watch. I download it and watch it on my own time when I'm sitting around my apartment and there's nothing better to do. There is a difference there, however slight. If it wasn't worth my time, I wouldn't watch it at all.

    The thing is, it's not like we are alone in our distain; the critics took a collective dump on season 4 and after a decent beginning to season five the critical consensus likewise took a nose dive pretty fast. It really is a damn shame to see a show that started off so well end so poorly and I couldn't agree with you more; things are probably not going to get better. The finale of season three was the beginning of the end and the show hasn't recovered since. Like you, I put no effort into my viewings. The DVR records, I watch, and more recently, I skip through the tripe.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of briantw

    briantw

    [78]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 11/17/03
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 311

    Grammaton-Cleric wrote:
    The thing is, it's not like we are alone in our distain; the critics took a collective dump on season 4 and after a decent beginning to season five the critical consensus likewise took a nose dive pretty fast. It really is a damn shame to see a show that started off so well end so poorly and I couldn't agree with you more; things are probably not going to get better. The finale of season three was the beginning of the end and the show hasn't recovered since. Like you, I put no effort into my viewings. The DVR records, I watch, and more recently, I skip through the tripe.

    Yeah, it is a shame. But at least nip/tuck isn't alone. Rescue Me also took a pretty sharp downward spiral after the second season. Granted, it didn't become nearly as bad as nip/tuck has become (which borders on unwatchable at times, and seems to happily remain cringe-worthy the rest of the time), but still, The Shield seems to be the only FX drama able to sustain momentum (and even get better) after the second season.

    But yeah, it was even more sad that the series had to get my hopes up with the first few episodes of the season, only to return right back to the terrible status quo about three or four episodes in. Unless the season takes a big turn for the better, this'll probably be the last one I watch.

    I used to really enjoy the characters and writing, but things have just failed to evolve over the years, which is unfortunate. They just keep repeating the same stories over and over and over again, which may be realistic, but it doesn't make for interesting drama. It's like how Tommy and Janet keep getting back together on Rescue Me. I just don't care about their relationship any more (and I honestly don't understand why they still love each other at this point), and I really wish that show would move on as well. Nip/Tuck needs to do this, but with pretty much every relationship on the show, because they all just keep repeating ad nauseum, and it needs to stop.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tjaman

    tjaman

    [79]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 16,306
    Grammaton-Cleric wrote:

    tjaman wrote:
    Now, you see, I read that and it sounds well-reasoned and insightful. I see your point and agree with a lot of it, although for me these points are foibles and cause for amusement rather than outright irritation, but people do watch shows for different reasons and get different things out of them. However, you're taking the tack that the show isn't worth your time, which is a valid decision on your part, demonstrated by the fact that you're not glued to your DVR when a new one comes on the way I am. You haven't waded in and announced that it's not worth anybody's time and that it needs to end, as others have. Which makes you approximately a thousand times more civil and engaging.

    Except I never said you needed to agree with me. I assumed that people understood that what I posted was a subjective opinion.

    I've actually gone out of my way to be civil, which is more than I can say about many in here.

    I wrote a lengthy rationale for my distain of the show and I think my reasons are pretty solid. If you honestly disagee with me that's fine too, but this lynchmob personal attack thing was beyond weak. I've been engaged in several discussions in other threads and had no problems so I'm not really sure what your personal beef with me is. If you think I wrote that post to impress people or make myself seem superior you're way off base. I wrote a persuasive essay that you can love or hate but I'm not going to apologize for being articulate.

    Frankly, you seem too smart for this kind of lowbrow tactic. Now somebody like Jace, it's understandable; he's a self-proclaimed moron. But I really think you've read me, my post, and this situation all wrong.



    I didn't name this thread.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of raffstyle

    raffstyle

    [80]Feb 8, 2008
    • member since: 06/09/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 43

    First off: I totaly agree with you, G-C. This show is going downhill. VERY fast! Seasons 1-3 were pure genius, and i loved the show especially because of the sub-storylines. But seasons 4-5 (or at least what we've seen of 5) didn't have any of that. Nothing. Just crazy storylines that supposedly "push the envelope"... It's just a normal show now. Pretty sad that it has come to this. But if the writers can't bring back the old nip/tuck, that original show that amazed the masses, i don't see a long future for the show...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.