Nip/Tuck

Gene Shelly

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jan 13, 2009 on FX

• Baby Got Ick

While I'm still enjoying Liz and Christian's storyline, I was left uneasy after their sex scene. I don't want to use the "r" word, but I really got bad vibes from it. I don't know what the writers were going for either. Did they think it was romantic? Mysterious? Was it supposed to be uncomfortable to watch? Whatever the answer, I think Liz doubting her sexuality has just happened too fast. For a woman so crazily out and proud over the years, it just doesn't ring true that she would be having serious feelings for a man after two weeks of being with him so often.

I was really open to this storyline, but I think they've already handled it badly. Christian's attitude the morning after was sad considering the growth he had been experiencing lately, while Liz's yelling was a little cringe-inducing. For such an important story, I think it should always be handled as heavy and dramatic, not the way it was written here. But, for what it's worth, I haven't completely written the story off as stupid. Yet.

I hated the Kimber scene. While I get what she meant about karma, and in some respects it could be true, I really disliked that she ridiculed Christian's scar. Especially considering she was hacked to shreds four years ago and endured nothing but love and sympathy from him. Kimber's my favorite character, but I'm really finding it hard to defend this new "incarnation". Ever since she hooked up with Ram, she's been nothing but a vapid, cruel shrew. And not in a fun way, either. The writers need to make her sympathetic again, or at least allow her to grow and mature.

The Shelly subplot just grossed me out. That kind of hillbilly, freaky-looking vibe from them wasn't fun, and the scene where Tracy was going down on Raj was just nasty. There's a fine line between "funny" gross and "plain gross" gross, and this story unfortunately fell in the latter category. Same with the Daphne reveal. It was obvious from her first sex scene with Sean that she had a certain, ahem, "maternal" vibe, and I can't help but feel that it was just Nip/Tuck pushing the envelope (and, in this case, an envelope that's already been pushed on numerous other shows) with no real point. Even the references to Sean "acting like a baby" in regards to lying about his wheelchair needs just came across ham-fisted. Lazy metaphors, writers.

While I'm enjoying the continued dedication to Sean and Christian's relationship, this episode for the most part just squicked me out and angered me in equal measure.

Director: Richard Levine