Nip/Tuck

Joel Gideon

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jul 20, 2004 on FX

• Joel: "I decided I wanted my kids to grow up with the memory of a father who had lived his life, rather then a shell of a man who had surrendered to fear."

After a car crash Sean starts to realize his life could end at any moment, so he decides he's going to live out the rest of his life without yielding to fear. While a fun plot, it felt rather reminiscent of last season when Sean went out to show that he's not a "prude".

I was all for Sean spicing up his life a little, but Julia did have a valid point. It is one thing to endanger your own life, but to encourage your children to do the same is another. From eating blowfish to shark diving, Sean's ordeal never felt like a life changing choice. They were always drastic decisions Sean made, just to prove himself, without ever thinking them through. I was glad he came out of it learning a lesson, and we also got some really good father son bonding between Matt and Sean as Matt, showing a more sympathetic side, told Sean that he didn't have to prove himself to him.

I found it very Christian-like the way how he tried to just erase all evidence of Wilbur to help ease his pain. I can understand why he was wary to fight for Wilbur, as he only got his hopes up to have them crushed. I'm sure Wilbur will have a good life with James, although I'm not sure about Cecil's love for the child (she appeared very aggressive and mad during the custody hearing). Christian's declaration of love for Wilbur during the hearing was so genuinely touching though, that it was sad to see the two of them separated. Julia McMahon did another fantastic job today, and the void he felt over loosing Wilbuer was very apparent.

We get a really good father/son episode between Sean and Matt, only to find out Matt's not his son! Both Julian McMahon and Joely Richardson deserve gold acting stars for that final scene when Julia confessed to Christian. I'm really curious to see how this revelation plays out for the rest of the season.

Final Notes and Quotes

- The car crash made me jump out of my seat. Good film editing.

- I had no idea car companies used cadavers to test out cars. I thought crash dummies were still being used, although cadavers do make more sense.

- Joel: "I'd take a numb nose over a numb soul any day."

- When Christian said to Julia "try having matt ripped from your arms and see how you feel", all I could think of was how Sean's going to feel when he finds out the truth.

- Sean: "Getting rid of the evidence doesn't mean you can eradicate memories Christian."

- I found it interesting how the custody battle flip-flopped so many times. First it was Gina and James vs. Christian, then Christian and James vs. Gina, then Gina and Christian teamed up vs. James.

- I liked the BOD – button of death.

Final Rating: Despite some good emotional scenes in this episode, the car crash and how it affected Sean just didn't do it for me. 2 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many more reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com