Nip/Tuck

Kiki

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Sep 27, 2005 on FX

• The Shape Of Things

It's been quite good to watch 'Kiki' again, as I think I initially did this episode a grave injustice. Seeing it only as a slightly bizarre hour involving surgery on a gorilla and Matt getting pissed on by a bunch of transsexuals initially, I find the episode has more to offer with another viewing.

The overriding theme of this episode appears to be 'the shape of things'. Apart from the scar surgery on the gorilla, there is a former MS-13 gangbanger who wants his tattoos removed so he can clean up his life. Of course, both of these surgeries go awry- the gangbanger Marlon finds that whilst his skin is clean, his past crimes still count against him and ends up getting beaten up by his former friends at the end. It is interesting to note that perhaps Marlon's subplot is perhaps the weakest link in the episode. Kiki's scar surgery removes the imperfection but the male gorilla that is to mate with her still senses it and attacks and kills her. Perhaps the major storyline of this episode belongs to Matt who not only finds Adrian's putrid and decomposing body (a scene it is not advisable to be eating during) but also finds out that Ava was a man. Obviously the kid goes a bit nuts, goes to a tranny bar, picks up a nice girl called Cherry (Willam Belli) but freaks out when he finds out that 'she' is pre-operative and still has 'the best of both'. In rage, he beats her in a scene that is uncomfortable and hard-hitting (excuse the pun). But the transsexuals get their revenge by attacking and urinating on him after school.

There is a lot of good stuff in this episode, not least a brief but welcome performance by Famke Janssen. She completely dominated the second season with a brilliant performance as the seductive, manipulative Ava and it was nice to get shades of that here, even though she only appeared in Matt's dream/vision. Another knockout performance by Vanessa Redgrave as Erica; her scenes with John Hensley and Joely Richardson are particular highlights of the episode. I never thought I'd ever be writing the words 'Vanessa Redgrave' and 'bong' in the same sentence, but to see her getting stoned is an absolute joy.