Nip/Tuck

Kiki

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Sep 27, 2005 on FX

• Christian: “Look, maybe Kumba can see past Kiki’s scar to her inner beauty. Maybe he’s not a shallow bastard like the rest of us”

This episode made me uncomfortable on many levels.

First, we have Matt learning that Ava is a man (that scene where he finds out, I have to say, was truly excellent drama), and beginning to question his sexuality. He goes to a transsexual bar ready to experiment (guided by his imaginary Ava, to which I might add Famke Janssen looked radiating this week), only to cruelly beat up a transsexual named Cherry when, after making out with Cherry, he sees her/his penis. (I'm sorry if I'm misusing my pronouns here).

Matt knew exactly what he was getting himself into by going to the bar, so his spontaneous fury and anger towards Cherry was out of line. Matt’s notion that Cherry "tricked him" is just an excuse he made to comfort himself because, really, Matt’s too scared to admit the truth.

Okay yeah, what happened to Cherry was an injustice, but I think ganging up on Matt, beating him to a pulp, and then urinating on him was a little too much. Despite my desire to turn away at one point during the scene, I have to say the editing was well done as during Matt’s pounding we got inter cuts of Marlon (the patient of McNamara/Troy who wanted his gang scars removed) getting beaten by his gang as well. It was fitting, as it showed that no one can escape their actions, and the two scenes complimented each other.

I understand why Julia was furious at Sean for telling Matt the truth about Ava, and I actually somewhat agree with her. The news upset Matt very much, and consequently set him off on a downward spiral into trouble. It was very understandable Matt’s fury and pain, as that information would be very hard for any teenage male to take; teenage years are confusing and painful enough as it is. It is better for Matt to find out now, though, and keep away from Ava, rather then discovering the truth later after years of sexual intimacy.

On to the main patient the week: Kiki, a gorilla, needed a scar removed so she could mate. I found it fitting that Liz could relate to Kiki's outcast place in her society, and I was gad Liz stood up for Kiki by convincing Christian to perform the operation. It was unfortunate that Kumba, despite no physical scarring on Kiki, was still able to sense that something was different about her and attacked. The case provided a good parallel to human societies, especially when you consider that we share 98% of our DNA with primates, and made a good, thought-provoking statement about many societies’ disapprovals for anything outside the norm.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Matt's haircut symbolized his want to change, and the new transformation he took today into "the dark force" (sorry I've been watching a lot of Star Wars lately).

- Erica: "That's what's wonderful about being young. There are no mistakes, only research."

- I loved Erica in this episode, and it was a hoot out of watching Erica and Julia laughing uncontrollably while high off weed. Interesting mother-daughter bonding activity.

- Outstanding Performance of the Week: John Hensley did an excellent job this week; he took Matt's teenage woes to a whole other level.

- Sean: "I'm not sure changing how you look, will make you change how you feel inside."

Matt: "I needed change. I guess I just got tired of looking at myself."

Final Rating: 2 1/2 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com