Nip/Tuck

Kyle Ainge

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jan 29, 2008 on FX

• I made you a bear. :D

The focus of this episode was where it needed to be as "Nip/Tuck" bids farewell to one of the most dynamic characters on television in Gina's funeral. Because indeed you can't spell "funeral" without F-U-N (or F-U, for that matter).

By now it seems pretty clear that Gina diligently attended S.A. meetings so as to have sex with them. And she certainly made an impression -- so much so that the guy who gave her HIV flew out to pay his respects.

The overarching theme for this episode was the consuming of others. The more direct allegory for Christian was that psycho day care provider Tabitha biting the children in her care and blaming it on Wilber. The more significant allegory in my opinion is the guilt that was eating away at him from the inside.

The scene at the morgue was deeply insightful. Alone with her battered shell, he says: "Of all the times I wanted to kill you, Gina, this wasn't one of them." Suggesting that he was honestly just going for some hate-sex on the balcony on her way out the door and she simply lost her balance.

Which is comforting, because I've never seen Christian as a murderer. He can be cruel and self-involved (see "Abby Mays") and he can be a deeply destructive personality, but as full of himself as he is, he's a doctor and a damaged human being. I've never seen him as homicidal. Heck, Sean's even more comfortable disposing of bodies than he is.

Have I gone this long without mentioning Sean? His storyline seemed like it got swallowed whole. The couple exploring cannibalism was just less interesting to me, and his whole thing with the CAA swanning in seemed more of an illustration as to why we need to be very, very frightened of Sharon Gless.

Seriously, is this the same actress who wandered around in "Burn Notice" last summer with all the screen presence of a dressmaker's dummy, stumbling into furniture and generally irritating me? Holy G-d, with that apartment scene, she's easily as frightening as Glenn Close ever got in "Damages."

The consumption theme carried on with her desperation that Sean might discover the truth about her to the extent that she murdered any threat on the horizon. It was more than a little forced and on reflection, Bob would never have met with her in her "home office" (his staff would've discovered the truth about her within five minutes and he wouldn't have even taken her call). But the fact that he did led to one of the scariest confrontations this season.

Stepping out of the review for a moment, I love that somewhere in the universe there is such an object as a "Sean Bear." This show is occasionally as charming as it is twisted. :)

Anyone arguing that Sean is out of character as a womanizer has already forgotten Monica Wilder from last season and his basic addiction to youth. We saw it earlier this season when he dressed Katie as a school-girl and when it comes to Eden, she's so naughty and forbidden he's all but dragged around by his dick.

So it wasn't that surprising to see him letching after the extra. After all, it's not like he's got anyone at home.

Finally, Christian's scenes with Wilber were among the best I've seen. "Is mommy a skank?" is just a pee-makingly funny line, and his "Oh, mommy? I killed her" monologue was some of his best stuff this season. The kid who plays Wilber is a tolerable child actor -- certainly better than the Scavo kids in the first season of "Deperate Housewives" -- but his delivery was definitely better than his reactions.

In the end, however, Christian replacing one bitca in his life with another was a nice move.
LOGO