Nip/Tuck

Manny Skerritt

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Feb 10, 2009 on FX

• The Deadly Tightrope Written by Ryan Murphy Directed by Dirk Wallace Craft

Kimber (to Christian, re Jenna): "Collagen's a natural substance. Babies get their ears pierced. Do you consider that child abuse?"

While I don't consider piercing a child's ear as abuse, it does however look stupid and wanting to shove botox into your child's lips is even more stupid. Then again, this is Kimber and stupidity does circle around her quite a bit.

Three episodes ago, she showed a lack of sympathy for Christian getting cancer and now she's harassing him to put botox into his grandchild's lips. Kimber really doesn't know when to stay away. I know you can argue that the reason why she wouldn't dare ask Sean would be that she'd be afraid of the response he'd give her but still, why ask Christian?

Maybe deep down she's hung up on him still or maybe every other surgeon really did turn her down flat. Either way, every time as a viewer you assume Kimber can't become any denser, she manages to outdo herself. Seriously, how is this woman allowed to be parent?

Christian to his credit actually had the good sense to turn her down flat and even threatened to fight for custody of Jenna if she pursued. Unfortunately this was one of his emptier of threats as he allowed himself to listen to Kimber's reasons behind wanting botox on Jenna's lips.

It seems that Kimber wants modelling to run into the family and because Jenna doesn't have full lips, she might not score more beneficial contracts. Personally at eighteen months, Jenna's life shouldn't have something as insane as that hanging over her head.

Also by the time both Steve 1 and Steve 2 arrived on screen, I really wanted to punch them both. Emitting every bad stereotype, these two jerks along with a string of judges only Kimber's stupid desire to have Jenna subjected to botox.

Christian actually thought that by becoming Jenna's manager, he'd do something good and prove Kimber. When he didn't, he nearly went through with Kimber's demand. Luckily for viewers, Christian had enough of a conscience to turn her down so Kimber ended up shooting her own child with botox.

For Kimber, this is easily the most despicable thing she has ever done on this show. Because of it, Christian had to shoot Jenna with more of the stuff in order to salvage the hack job Kimber did. It certainly explained his loathing and last scene with Jenna prior to one of her shoots.

I'm not exactly sure if Kimber taking the fall for Christian is something to be viewed as heroic or nice. Actually I am and it's not. Its Kimber fault all the way. All Christian was clean up her mess and fix his granddaughter. Still Matt was justified in his anger.

However Matt wasn't justified in attacking Christian with an empty syringe. Matt really should get his facts in order before going off on one. You'd think someone with his kind of history would know that but this is the second week in a row in which I've felt sorry for him.

I also liked him for lamenting on Kimber's mothering skills. However while he was utterly true about them, there was also a degree of truth in her calling him a loser. Matt really does need to get his act together if he wants to be a good parent to Jenna.

As for Liz, one week in and I'm still missing her. Sean misses her too and so does Christian, despite his crap attempts to hide. At least Sean blamed Christian's departure without getting too uppity about the whole thing. And it was Sean who decided to hire a replacement.

This meant the much hyped appearance from Teddy or Theodora Rowe. Hiring Katee Sackhoff was a brilliant choice because even without the Battlestar Galactica association, the woman is without a doubt one of the best actresses on TV right now and she's perfect for this show.

Teddy's pretty much a liberal spirit kind of girl and with any luck that won't mean that she becomes a psychopath in later episodes. Her flirting with Sean was cute and while her "Live Fast Die Young" mantra reeked off clichés, she injected some much needed fun into this episode.

Taking pictures of Manny's penis prior to surgery might not have been the most professional thing to have done but it was nice for once to see Sean lighten up. Also there wasn't any time wasted in hooking the pair of them up either. Please Nip/Tuck writers; let Sean and Teddy's relationship stay on the fun side.

Also on the side of fun was the return of Aidan. You'd think with Matt revealing his acting aspirations last week that Aidan would've served as a device for him. Instead Aidan wanted to make a biopic on Sean and even resorted to getting Manny to try and sue McNamara/Troy when things weren't going his way.

However given that Aidan is such a buffoon, he soon ended up on Sean and Christian's mercy when he nearly broke his neck. Let's just say that there are some taste tests that you shouldn't partake in. In other words, don't do a Manny Skerritt.

So Manny's problem was that he could pleasure himself orally. When he got down on the floor, I really was hoping that we weren't going to get a demonstration. Hats off to Supernatural actor Mischa Collins. Aside from the self-pleasuring, Manny might be one of the more normal clients that we've had in recent episodes. Also in "Manny Skerritt"

Why was the "Previously On" bit for this episode so long? I could understand it with "Ronnie Chase" but here it felt so unnecessary.

Manny: "Will you stop with the judgemental looks. Don't tell me you guys have never tried it."
    Christian: "That close."

I had to laugh with Christian. His only interaction with Teddy was his attempts to fire her and that sank.

Christian: "Let me be clear, Kimmy. I will never ever do another surgery on you again."
    Kimber (re Jenna): "Well that's great because I look and feel great. I'm not the one who needs the touch up, she does."

Sean: "How do your patients react to your uplifting tattoos?"
    Theodora: "I've only gotten complaints from other physicians. Uptight old farts."

Where exactly is Ram nowadays? Kimber hasn't mentioned whether or not they're still with each other.

Steve 1 (to Christian, re Amber): "She was a beautiful girl before the botox; she's a beautiful girl now. The only difference is her college fund is full."

Sean (reading the script): "You killed Christian?"
    Aidan: "I didn't know what to do with his character any more."

Having Morgan Fairchild play Colleen was a good casting choice. Having Sean also be in the CIA for Aidan's script was similarly funny. Aidan is certainly no threat to Kevin Costner.

Theodora (re Manny's penis "Nom must stay."
    Linda: "Nom must stay home at night and play with that thing. Oh yeah!"

Aidan: "I know it's hard to believe but I'm not really a doctor."
    Manny: "Oh, okay. I'm sorry, who are you?"

Aidan called his script "The Deadly Tightrope". Also who replaced Sean as the lead on Hearts And Scalpels?

Matt: "Kimber, alley cats who dump their litter in gutters make better mothers than you."

Theodora: "Of all time? Sean, you should go hang out with Mr Skerritt. You two have so much in common. You both love blowing yourselves."

Standout music: "Suspicious Character" by The Blood Arm. Was it appropriate that it was played during Aidan's surgery?

Kimber (to Christian): "Don't worry grandpa, your reputation is safe. I'll take the fall. Everyone thinks I'm a horrible mother anyway."

Chronology: Over a year since "Carly Summers" if Jenna's eighteen months old.

I have to admit that in spite of the Jenna angle, "Manny Skerritt" actually marks a serious return to form for this series. Everyone's motivations were mostly understandably, Theodora showed promise as a character and there were too many scenes that had in hysterics. I actually loved this episode a lot.