Nip/Tuck

Manya Mabika

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jul 06, 2004 on FX

• Another fine example of a series that is only increasing in quality during its second season.

7.3
    What a touching story of sexual exploration and vulnerability this episode was! Women's circumcision is a subject that people all too willingly avoid these days, but it DOES exist and the Nip/Tuck writers did everything to rub it in this week. I thought it was great that they didn't spend much time on theory or commentary, just a very human story from a victim's pov. Also it was fabulous that Liz turned out to be the one who gave that Somalian woman the confidence to "help herself", as it were.

Nicely interwoven was the plot concerning Julia's inability to get satisfied by Sean. The Sean/Julia-Christian/Manya double sex scene was a bit contrived but very inspired nonetheless. Bravo, Ryan Murphy, for once again showing us some really touching human drama that is both rooted in the realism we all seek but also in the surrealism we all thrive on - we're all looking for some escapism in tv, after all, and Nip/Tuck has always managed those two elements gracefully.

But, as a side note: is it just me or are those explicit surgeries increasing in number AND in grossness? I nearly barfed when they amputated the toe, and I don't remember coming anywhere near to that feeling when I was watching last season. Phew...