Nip/Tuck

Montana/Sassy/Justice

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Oct 07, 2003 on FX

• A Pregnant Pause

So Gina's pregnant, and Christian has to face up to taking responsibility of somebody other than himself. It was great to have Jessalyn Gilsig back, who can get laughs from just one reading of the word "a**hole". I found it a little ridiculous though that Gina was accusing Christian of being a bad parent. Considering she's a raging former sexaholic, she's hardly one to talk!

I was a little disappointed with the season one resolution to the Cara Fitzgerald arc. As much as I like Keri Lynn Pratt, I think she was a little miscast in the part. Her voice is naturally perky, and I never imagined Cara like that, instead somebody seemingly very depressed and lonely. However, I did like Henry's reaction to everything that has happened, which included abandoning his faith, and eventually falling for Cara. While Matt has been mostly calm over it all, Henry is going through a realistic meltdown, which isn't surprising seeing as he is much more religious than Matt, and terrified of being punished by God.

The patient of the week was interesting. A split personality sufferer could have been played in a comical way, but the writers carefully handled the story well, making you feel bad for Montana, who is clearly a disturbed woman. Guest star Cheryl White was excellent in the roles, especially when playing Sassy. Her final scene with Sean was extremely well-written, with the child within Montana being asked where she goes when Montana takes over the body.

While it was still an entertaining hour, there were some issues in this episode that made it fall short of the greatness Nip/Tuck usually gives us. But considering that the whole season so far has essentially been one masterpiece after another, the writers can easily be excused.

Director: Michael M Robin